PDA

View Full Version : Winter Boat Use

YoBo
09-07-2004, 09:10 PM
I have recently bought a lake cabin that is only accessible by boat and don't want to winterize my boat with no access to the cabin for months on end. I have an '85 Stars & Stripes and wondered if anyone had experience with preserving the boat, in and out of the water, un-winterized, without resorting to using climate controlled storage. This is my first inboard, so my experience is limited with this sort of thing. Any suggestions?

JimN
09-07-2004, 09:40 PM
You may not want to winterize it, but if you don't, you'll need to replace the motor in spring if it freezes. You didn't say where you are, but it sounds like it's near "The Frozen Tundra". If you have a place where it's absolutely impossible for the water in the motor to freeze, you can store it there. If not, winterize it and if you need to use it, reverse the process and re-winterize when you're done. If you use a checklist and are mechanically inclined, you shouldn't have any problem doing this. It just needs to be done correctly.

H20skeefreek
09-07-2004, 11:02 PM
I have recently bought a lake cabin that is only accessible by boat and don't want to winterize my boat with no access to the cabin for months on end. I have an '85 Stars & Stripes and wondered if anyone had experience with preserving the boat, in and out of the water, un-winterized, without resorting to using climate controlled storage. This is my first inboard, so my experience is limited with this sort of thing. Any suggestions?

YOBO, lot's of older MC's on here, post pics, we'd love to see 'em.

jimmer2880
09-08-2004, 08:46 AM
you may want to look into a "closed cooling" system. Such systems were designed for salt-water use. At least with one of these, the "winterization" process will be significantly shorter as all you'll have to do is drain the heat transfer chamber (think radiator with lake water on one side instead of air & anti-freeze on the other)

I have seen such a setup on 2 boats in my life... both I/O's. But - I'm pretty sure you can get a conversion kit to do it yourself.

Jorski
09-08-2004, 09:20 AM
On my lake (in the northern cold of Canada) the cottagers on the islands that I know use an outboard for early and late season access. The ones that have inboards generally only use them in the warmer times.

Outboards are self draining.

JimN
09-08-2004, 09:24 AM
It really doesn't take a lot of time to winterize a boat. It takes more time to get it up to temperature than to do the rest of the procedures. It's just a matter of being efficient. If the boat will be run long enough to warm up completely before being put on the trailer when it is taken out of the water, assuming the gas was stabilized before setting out, the last thing to do before shutting it off is fogging. Then the plugs can be removed and the hoses and impeller removed. While it's being trailered, the water drains out and battery cables disconnected. This should take about 15 minutes after it goes onto the trailer. This doesn't sound like a big inconvenience to me and you don't need to mess around with adding the parts or expense of a closed cooling system.

André
09-08-2004, 09:25 AM
I would winterize the MC and get a johnboat or small pontoon with a 10 hp outboard to get to the cabin!
Don't take chances to freeze the block... :twocents:

MarkP
09-08-2004, 09:59 AM
I agree with Andre, Keep the MC SAFE.. Now how about those photos??:)

east tx skier
09-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Beat me to it. John boat is the solution. Baby that MC!

NeilM
09-08-2004, 11:24 AM
"Great minds think alike", Doug & André.

Winterize the MC. Use an outboard for the winter.

YoBo
09-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Wow, thanks for all the comments. Points well taken. I had thought of the John boat idea, since it will too cold for anything but basic transportation, but I thought I'd ask the experts if there were any other simple options. I plan on building a boathouse, and I'd need John to get back and forth anyway. Hey, I really appreciate the time yall took (now you know I'm not in Nanuk's neighborhood, down South in GA). I have gotten so many tidbits from the threads here, and this is yet more sage advice, which I'll take. I'll send some pictures as soon as I get around to taking them. Thanks again to all.

lsupcar
09-08-2004, 11:20 PM
What about using some sort of block heater or engine compartment heater or drop light in the engine compartment if the temps are not too low. This would require electricity of course, which I don't know if you have. I have no personal experience with any of these techniques and wonder what the experts think. Bill Z

east tx skier
09-08-2004, 11:33 PM
One thing to think about with an electric heat source is that in a bad winter storm, electricity could be lost. A backup generator ought to be employed. I still vote for alternate source of water transport.

H20skeefreek
09-09-2004, 07:54 AM
What about using some sort of block heater or engine compartment heater or drop light in the engine compartment if the temps are not too low. This would require electricity of course, which I don't know if you have. I have no personal experience with any of these techniques and wonder what the experts think. Bill Z

never ever ever use a droplight. there is always the very slight chance of expolosion, and fire. they do make ignition proof engine room heaters that are available at all of the West Marine and Boat US stores in Atlanta. You won't find them any further south though.

Leroy
09-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Unfortunately if you try to invent the magic heating source each one has fatal flaws. I would go with the john boat! I also wanted to get out of the winterzation process, but people gave me bad examples of everything I could think to try, bulbs burn out, cause fires when power flickers, power outages, etc, You need back up to back up and check often or just winterize.

tex
10-18-2004, 10:35 AM
10-18-04 in Fort Worth Texas. The forcast calls for a high of 90 f'n degrees. My ribs are still too smoked to ski! I am thinking of calling a buddy and taking him out to jump just so I can drive! 90 f'n degrees!!!!!! I need a drink fast!!!!

Leroy
10-18-2004, 10:45 AM
You make me sick Tex, 45F and rain......we didn't have a day over 90 this summer!

tex
10-18-2004, 11:23 AM
You make me sick Tex, 45F and rain......we didn't have a day over 90 this summer!
Leroy-Hang in there. You could be in Montana!

east tx skier
10-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Leroy, if it's any consolation, althought it's supposed to hit 91 today, so far it looks pretty windy (at least for this part of the country).

tex
10-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Leroy, if it's any consolation, althought it's supposed to hit 91 today, so far it looks pretty windy (at least for this part of the country).
Leroy-I have access to 2 privite sites. If the ribs would allow it, I could be footing by 5pm-no matter what the wind!