PDA

View Full Version : Old Style (88) Mastercraft Trailer Ideas

88 PS190
10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm writing because our local launch ramps discourage the use of "power" loading onto the trailer.

Now here's the problem, Mastercraft has the trailer wench located onto the tongue of the trailer, which is too low to use it as an assist to loading the boat as it pulls down into the bow guide. Has anyone welded an extension onto the trailer to posistion the strap higher up on the trailer? I am not considering not using the engine to power on, just using less engine to accomplish the feat.

We are also going to switch to a reciever with more drop for pulling it out of the water as it appears too steep to make it easy, then switch to a lesser drop for pulling.

Thanks

AirJunky
10-18-2005, 03:12 PM
My brother had an '88 & had his trailer modified so it would work better. They removed that funky bar & raised the winch point about a foot. Then installed a Boat Buddy. Best move he could have made.

east tx skier
10-18-2005, 03:14 PM
BriEOD has some before/after pictures of this mod that he has shared in the past. Not sure if they got deleted during the 05 photo oops.

Kevin 89MC
10-19-2005, 12:16 PM
I modified mine ('89 PS 190) awhile ago, here is what it looks like. It is great! :D
I also can't power load where I boat now, so this has been invaluable. Before, I had to carefully get the trailer in the water deep enough so the boat would float at the correct elevation right to the "bar", and then help guide the boat onto the trailer as it was pulled out. Nerve-wracking to say the least! :eek:
There are several older threads on this too.
Good luck,
Kevin

Kevin 89MC
10-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Here is the pic . . .

stumbledog
10-19-2005, 12:56 PM
What is the reasoning behind the "no powerloading" rules?

M-Funf
10-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Our marina discourages it as well. I don't know if this is the "real" reason, but when I asked why, they said it churned up the water, and other boaters were complaining about the churned up mud/dirt entering their engines...

I need to get a winch on my trailer...

BriEOD
10-19-2005, 01:01 PM
$200 all said and done. You can get the boat buddy from Cabelas. And, as I always say when this comes up, I'd like to take that bar and beat the engineer/designer that came up with it.

BriEOD
10-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Another view.

RickDV
10-19-2005, 01:14 PM
What is the reasoning behind the "no powerloading" rules?

There is actually a good reason for no powerloading. The prop will push the sand/gravel back. This causes two problems:

a) It creates a hole immediately behind the prop area. Folks who have to back in further than you will hit this hole and have problems.

b) The displaced sand/gravel creates a sandbar immediately behind the hole. Boats can hit this sandbar and chew up their prop or suck in the sand.

Some ramps are paved or are deep enough that powerloading is not a problem. Most of them that I frequent discourage powerloading.

I have the same problem with the old style bar. Haven't gotten around to installing a Boat Buddy yet, but I would like to 'cuz the alternatives are a pain in the backside.

Kevin 89MC
10-19-2005, 01:21 PM
At our lake, powerloading had created such a huge hole and subsequent buildup behind it, that we were all nicking our props coming into the trailers. The dumba$$ Natique drivers still power up, but after looking at their trailer set ups, I don't know how they would load otherwise. The few I've seen have no winch at all, just a small chain to clip onto the bow eye when fully loaded. The rule is, if you powerload, bring a shovel to move the rocks, so the next boat doesn't hit it. Never seen that happen . . .

88 PS190
10-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies, don't think we need a boat buddy as we always have extra people around who could crank up the bow hook as it loads, but the extension and a V to catch it at the top will help. Main thing in my opinion is to align the winch at horizontal with the correct level of the bow eye, or slightly above so that the winch will be able to pull the eye up, and keep the friction down in the front.

87 TriStar 190
11-11-2005, 12:40 AM
I bought my 87 new and have been putting up with that bar for 18 years. Two weeks ago I bought a boat buddy and had the trailer mods. A local machine shop did a great job. The only time I've used it is to take it off the trailer to warm it up before winterizing. I'm really looking forward to next summer and how easy it wil be to load.

One question for all of you. There are two models of boat buddy. One for less than 3,000 pound boats and one for greater than 3,000 pounds. Which should I use? My boat weighs 2450, so I bought the lighter one. Any advice? I've been working nights all week repainting the trailer to make everything match again. Looks nice.

88 PS190
11-11-2005, 01:01 AM
from what i've seen boats have different diameter front eyes, the buddies are designed for that diameter of tubing. Therefore, i'd go for the 3000lb, assuming that's the one for 3/8ths inch diameter bow eyes.

Thanks my opinion, but i've been looking into it.

Got pictures btw?

BriEOD
11-11-2005, 07:09 AM
87 - Their has been conflicting opinions on here about that topic (Boat Buddy I or II). I myself put the smaller one on my 87 and have had zero problems. However, as I said, some say that MC uses the biggger.

88 - It doesn't matter what bow eye is on your boat stock. The kit comes with a 3" elongated bow eye that you need to use to replace the stock 1" bow eye. What I'm referring to is the length of the bow eye not the diameter.

Kevin 89MC
11-11-2005, 10:52 AM
I put the "big" one on ("Boat Buddy II" I think.) I think it may have been the only one Overton's offered at the time. It's also nice to have a bit beefier setup. There are others on here that put the "small" one on and it works. There are still others that have had issues with it in general, can't remember which ones they were - a search should yield several past posts on the issue. I like mine, and will never go back.
Good luck,
Kevin

87 TriStar 190
11-14-2005, 11:59 PM
When I put the boat on the trailer under throttle, and the boat buddy trips, I pull back the throttle and it settles back pretty quickly. Enough so I need to secure the winch tightly so I can release the pin the next time out. By looking at it, I think I could bend the pin and make the system nonfunctional. Don't need that next summer. I am going to look at a few others and just order the heavier one if that's what I'm seeing on other boats. When I have the boat buddy mounted, we pulled the boat back on the trailer a little to get it into a more neutral position so it wasn't forced as much into the "V" pads on the bow. In order to hook the old bar on, that "V" bracket had to yield a little. Looked like too much force for the Boat Buddy. Would have been hard to ever release the pin. It operates very easily on all the other boats I've used with it. I may be worrying too much here. Just want it to work smoothly.