PDA

View Full Version : 2001 xstar transmission major leak!

Buchhakj
09-03-2013, 09:39 AM
I recently bought a 2001 xstar with 500 hours on it. I could not test drive the boat (I know I know) as the prop was all chewed up and I didn't want to risk damage to the boat. Long story short I noticed some trans fluid in the bilge and decided to check the fluid level. Nothing on the stick. So I bought a gallon and started filling it while checking the dipstick through out the pouring. Never got any on the stick. Then I heard what sounded like a steady pour coming from the bottom so I looked under the trans and sure enough here comes my fresh fluid straight out from underneath the transmission. I can not see underneath and have no idea how so much fluid could come out so fast. I assume a blown seal would not let this much out.

Any suggestions? I am mechanically inclined and capable of doing just about any mechanical work myself. Would like some direction as I have no experience with this type of transmission.

****edit**** I posted my results/findings later in the thread. Moral of story always check that your oil is clean and oil cooler is in good condition.

76S&S
09-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Probably the trans seal, where the shaft exit's.

Buchhakj
09-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Will this seal allow a steady stream to exit the transmission? I assume the only way to replace this is to remove the transmission?

mikeg205
09-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Will this seal allow a steady stream to exit the transmission? I assume the only way to replace this is to remove the transmission?

IMO - time to pull trans and take a look.

Buchhakj
09-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Anyone know of a good write up for removing the transmission? I've tried searching

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Can you use a mirror to take a look before you start removing the trans?

mikeg205
09-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Kyle here posted a pic where he used the from engine mounts to move the motor up.

It was in an oil pan thread... I will try searching for it.

mikeg205
09-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Can you use a mirror to take a look before you start removing the trans?

I can agree with this but if it's leaking that fast - removal and repair is inevitable IMO

Buchhakj
09-09-2013, 12:29 PM
What is a fair price to remove and reinstall the transmission?

76S&S
09-09-2013, 02:24 PM
A dealer will charge around $1,200 to remove, change the seal, flush multiple times and reinstall.

Buchhakj
03-06-2015, 10:03 AM
I realized I never updated this thread with my findings.

Well it was a pain train. I took it to cincy mastercraft (awesome customer service!!!) they removed the transmission and found not only blown seals, but a locked up transmission. Couldn't even turn it with a wrench.

So I'm the lucky guy that got one of the very few known locked up trans ever by ZF according to their service dept. they claim the trans will almost run with just water. Anyways on to the fixed and cause

So they found that the oil cooler had been smashed by the previous owner and allowed water to get into the transmission and blow out the seals.

Damage:

New transmission - $3500
Transmission oil cooler - $200
Labor - $1300

Total bill - $5,000

Bright side. I sued the previous owner for ripping me off and won. He would not pay so I repossessed his airplane. He promptly wrote my lawyer a check once we had his airplane. Some people are just complete sh*t. I still lost $1500-2000 overall

Ironhorse
03-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Glad to hear you won the court case but sorry to hear it was such a PIA!

scott023
03-06-2015, 10:17 AM
That must've been a headache and a half. Sorry to hear you got the run around.

willyt
03-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Bright side. I sued the previous owner for ripping me off and won. He would not pay so I repossessed his airplane. He promptly wrote my lawyer a check once we had his airplane. Some people are just complete sh*t. I still lost $1500-2000 overall

whoa whoa whoa wait a minute you repoed an airplane??? and how was that not worth way more than 5k?

mikeg205
03-06-2015, 10:50 AM
I realized I never updated this thread with my findings.

Well it was a pain train. I took it to cincy mastercraft (awesome customer service!!!) they removed the transmission and found not only blown seals, but a locked up transmission. Couldn't even turn it with a wrench.

So I'm the lucky guy that got one of the very few known locked up trans ever by ZF according to their service dept. they claim the trans will almost run with just water. Anyways on to the fixed and cause

So they found that the oil cooler had been smashed by the previous owner and allowed water to get into the transmission and blow out the seals.

Damage:

New transmission - $3500
Transmission oil cooler - $200
Labor - $1300

Total bill - $5,000

yeah woah - - tell us more!

Wakerider16
03-06-2015, 10:51 AM
whoa whoa whoa wait a minute you repoed an airplane??? and how was that not worth way more than 5k?

I was thinking the same thing!!!!

Some of the small older planes though can be had for dirt cheap. I think they even make kit planes for close to 5k.

Buchhakj
03-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Basically I won the lawsuit for $6750 in damages. My lawyer found his airplane (after almost a year of trying to get him to pay) he is like a ghost and has been sued about 10 times for things like this. I'm the first to ever collect by the way!

Had a repossession company essentially put a chain and lock on it and had the FAA ground the plane. He had 10 days to either write a check or the plane would be sold at auction. He had to pay exorbitant fees on top. He ended up paying around 10,000 to get his plane back. So karma will get you. My lawyer was also in contact with the other peoples lawyers who have sued him so I'm sure he is getting hit some more.

I was only allowed to collect my won amount($6750). However after lawyer fees etc I only got about $3750 of it, but it is ok because I feel great he did not get the best of me!

Another moral of this story. Never try to pass your issues on to someone else because they may actually get a lawyer when they say they will.

mikeg205
03-06-2015, 11:41 AM
good for you - Karma will get you eventually - just take some time..

osmonet
03-06-2015, 10:52 PM
I love it. Great lesson in persistence

willyt
03-09-2015, 06:01 PM
hahaha that's awesome. i'm glad you came back to give the full story.

guys at cincy are good people