PDA

View Full Version : Blower help.

Topp dawg
09-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Today my blower would not work at all on my 2003 x10. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and that did not work. It is not tripping the breaker. I also have a check engine light on. Could the check engine be related to the blower not working?

Is there any other troubleshooting I can do to get the blower working, or should I just replace it?

Footin
09-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Use a test light to verify you have power the the blower first.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Today my blower would not work at all on my 2003 x10. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and that did not work. It is not tripping the breaker. I also have a check engine light on. Could the check engine be related to the blower not working?

Is there any other troubleshooting I can do to get the blower working, or should I just replace it?

The blower will not cause the check engine light, First I would see if your getting voltage at the blower with it turned on with a multimeter that will tell you if it's burned up or if you have an electrical issue.

Topp dawg
09-02-2013, 08:38 PM
If it is getting power then should i just replace the blower?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-02-2013, 09:08 PM
After confirming it has a good ground.

Topp dawg
09-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I went out to troubleshoot the blower today and before I could do anything I just wanted to check it one last time and it worked, like magic. I tried it 10 more times and it worked every time. No clue why it worked today or even why it stopped working the other day. My boat may have a ghost. Check engine light is still on though.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2013, 12:09 PM
You may have a corroded connection, a switch getting ready to fail or your blower may be on it's last legs. Looking at the connections is the easy part. Good luck.

Topp dawg
09-03-2013, 02:24 PM
The connections on the battery do look corroded. Can I just use contact cleaner and a wire brush?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Yup. Stainless wire brush does an especially good job.

Topp dawg
09-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks man

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2013, 04:01 PM
No problem.....keep us posted. These intermittent problems can be hard to identify.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2013, 04:04 PM
After giving it some thought, I would just replace the blower. It's not expensive, it's ten years old and performs a very important function. Save the old one until you are sure of the actual problem. If it's not the blower, you have a proven good back-up.

Topp dawg
09-03-2013, 04:14 PM
I looked at the battery connection and on the ground terminal it looks rusted and not very tight, I can jiggle it with my hand. I will tighten it down when it stops raining and go from there.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2013, 04:19 PM
I looked at the battery connection and on the ground terminal it looks rusted and not very tight, I can jiggle it with my hand. I will tighten it down when it stops raining and go from there.

That is bad. :eek:

mikeg205
09-03-2013, 05:12 PM

Get some contact cleaner...

http://www.theruststore.com/Blue-Works-P306C92.aspx?gclid=CMa_nZWSsLkCFbE7MgodAnkA7w

If corrosion is in one place - then it's a bunch of places... we're gonna need to feed the MCOCD beast or else! :eek:

Kweisner
09-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Not to threadjack, but my neighbor just bought a boat (used) and towed it out to his beach house this weekend. He returned yesterday completely pissed at the dealer because after launching and starting the motor, he could not get the outdrive to lower--hydraulic pump "busted." So Labor Day weekend was a loss and of course, this was his first weekend of ownership so was very excited. Plus towed it all the way home (4 hrs) to take it in for service.

Had him hit the switch to lower the outdrive and could hear the solenoid clicking. . . you know where this is going; simple low voltage issue. Had a direct wired ground to the battery and of course, it was loose.

I think he might have been even more pissed at me for finding the problem. . . tightening the wing nut on the battery post. He never suspected the battery or a connection because the engine fired up no problem. Seems to me that simple ground issues seem are the root of at least 1/2 of all electrical "problems."

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Not to threadjack, but my neighbor just bought a boat (used) and towed it out to his beach house this weekend. He returned yesterday completely pissed at the dealer because after launching and starting the motor, he could not get the outdrive to lower--hydraulic pump "busted." So Labor Day weekend was a loss and of course, this was his first weekend of ownership so was very excited. Plus towed it all the way home (4 hrs) to take it in for service.

Had him hit the switch to lower the outdrive and could hear the solenoid clicking. . . you know where this is going; simple low voltage issue. Had a direct wired ground to the battery and of course, it was loose.

I think he might have been even more pissed at me for finding the problem. . . tightening the wing nut on the battery post. He never suspected the battery or a connection because the engine fired up no problem. Seems to me that simple ground issues seem are the root of at least 1/2 of all electrical "problems."

90% of all trailer wiring issues. :noface:

Kweisner
09-03-2013, 05:56 PM

Testify brother! That's pretty much where I learned to check the ground FIRST!

mikeg205
09-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Amen - but I am at 99% of trailer issues. ;)

Topp dawg
09-05-2013, 08:17 PM
I tightened the ground connector on the battery and noticed that my battery is spitting out liquid (a small amount) and making a weird burping noise. I'm guessing this is not normal. What could be going on?

Topp dawg
09-06-2013, 10:01 PM
I got the battery tested today and one of them is bad. I'm guessing this is the root of my electrical problems.