PDA

View Full Version : Bad alternator?

mzimme
08-29-2013, 10:38 AM
I was out on my boat Sunday and noticed my voltage guage wouldn't come above 11 or so volts. The perfect pass also kept beeping while trying to continuously boot up. Didn't have my voltmeter with me at the time, so I kept the day short and went back to the trailer. Didn't ever have an issue starting, and my stereo played fine with no channels lacking power or anything.

Brought the boat home that night and stuck it on a charger to make sure the batteries were full. Went out to test it again last night and found that the voltage would go anywhere from 12.5 (with no change once the boat started and idled), all the way up to 16.5 when the motor revved out. I didn't run it at 16.5 since I know that'll destroy a battery quick, so I idled back in and put it away.

I'm assuming the voltage regulator is shot? My alternator is only a 70amp alternator. If I do need something new I'd like to probably just have my current alternator rebuilt to have a higher output. Anyone had this done and have an estimate on cost? Wondering if it will be more cost effective to go the rebuild route rather than purchasing something new.

mikeg205
08-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Is this on the the 83? - you may need to go to the "other" forum for help on you know what ;) - just givin' ya a hard time.. hope you find the fix quick... :)

Table Rocker
08-29-2013, 10:49 AM
My experience has been that a local rebuild costs about the same as buying a rebuilt one at the parts store. I know my local guy does everything that needs to be done (brushes, bearings, etc.) instead of the minimum and I trust him more than I do a rebuilding factory in Mexico (or wherever they do it).

mzimme
08-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Is this on the the 83? - you may need to go to the "other" forum for help on you know what ;) - just givin' ya a hard time.. hope you find the fix quick... :)

Crap. I need to take that out of my profile. The '83 is gone :( to her new owner...

I like this site better anyway. Way more knowledge and good advice here than on the "other" boards. Plus, my 5.7 is kinda like all of yours! ;)

Question about alternators... are they marine specific? Will any alternator for a 5.7L GM vortec be fine or is there something specific about marine applications? I might be able to save my labor day weekend still...

mikeg205
08-29-2013, 11:08 AM
yes marine alternators are made not to spark... napa has them.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3dmarine%2balternator%26Ntk%3dKeyw ord%26Nty%3d1%26Dn%3d0%26D%3dmarine%2balternator%2 6Dk%3d1%26Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

mzimme
08-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Cant seem to find what I need there...

mikeg205
08-29-2013, 03:50 PM
skidim, ebasicpower, lot's others out there. marinepartsource.com... etc

bstewart0529
08-29-2013, 04:58 PM
I just got mine from DB electric for $65. 105 amp one wire Delco. it bolted right up to my 351 1991 prostar. Part number is ADR0334

mikeg205
08-29-2013, 05:27 PM
I just got mine from DB electric for $65. 105 amp one wire Delco. it bolted right up to my 351 1991 prostar. Part number is ADR0334

damn - I could of saved a ton... great info - saved!!!! awesome bstewart!

ricford
08-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Were those volt readings taken from your gauge or a voltmeter on the battery terminals. I think I'd be checking it with a voltmeter before spending money on an alternator. The gauge may be shot.

Cloaked
08-29-2013, 05:38 PM
I just got mine from DB electric for $65. 105 amp one wire Delco. it bolted right up to my 351 1991 prostar. Part number is ADR0334+1 just last week.

Be sure and upgrade the cables to about a 6GA wire.

The alternator will indeed bolt onto a 93 (for certain). Some boats do not have the 93 type mounting bracket, thus the need for a spacer (if there is not one already on your current unit). The bracket on the 93 will fit the original bolt without having to enlarge the bolt hole. Same identical alternator to my OEM. Preventative maintenance for me. My OEM was clicking just fine....

Single wire + with no exciter wire needed. I capped my purple exciter wire off and called it a done deal.

Nice shiny alternator..... Never gave a thought to painting it....

mzimme
08-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Were those volt readings taken from your gauge or a voltmeter on the battery terminals. I think I'd be checking it with a voltmeter before spending money on an alternator. The gauge may be shot.

voltmeter. I didn't trust the guage either.

I've heard good and bad things from DB electric. My concern is the garbage is made in china. Some say they last plenty long, others have had problems. I'd rather buy something and pay a little more knowing it will last over buying a chinese knock off and just hoping it lasts. Alternators are pretty important...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm gonna deal with this after the holiday weekend. Thankfully I have friends with boats.

mzimme
08-30-2013, 10:20 PM
+1 just last week.

Be sure and upgrade the cables to about a 6GA wire.

I've got 0 guage front alternator to battery...

clrussell
08-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Mike if you end up needing to get it rebuilt and can't find anywhere let me know and I'll put you in touch with who we use for stuff like that. I just installed a direct replacement 115 amp alt on my 90 for $100 including shipping at the beginning of the season. I've used a bunch of their alts and had awesome luck so far. Anytime I need something high amp it's the first call I make

mzimme
08-31-2013, 03:54 AM
Mike if you end up needing to get it rebuilt and can't find anywhere let me know and I'll put you in touch with who we use for stuff like that. I just installed a direct replacement 115 amp alt on my 90 for $100 including shipping at the beginning of the season. I've used a bunch of their alts and had awesome luck so far. Anytime I need something high amp it's the first call I make

Got a link or a company name?

clrussell
08-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Best built parts out of Springfield mo, I can get ya their number. It's at the shop