PDA

View Full Version : Oil mixed in bilge

musicmd
08-27-2013, 03:58 PM
I have a 2004 X-10 which has been working great this Summer.

Recently, over the past 2 weeks, I've noticed an oily film on the drain plug in the middle of the hull. In addition, the water which drains out now has a rainbow-like hue to it, so I'm absolutely certain that there is oil mixed in.

I checked the engine oil and it is full - - - while it is possible that the oil is leaking from the engine, I'm doubting it.

I haven't had a chance to check the transmission yet, but understand from the dealer that it uses oil rather than transmission fluid. That is next to check.

I'm curious if there are any common locations to check as far as oil leaks go, either around the engine or around the transmission. Any ideas where to look would certainly help me determine the cause and whether or not this is something I can easily handle or something I should let my dealer take care of.

Thanks, in advance, for the knowledge and expertise of the forum.

Kell
08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Assuming you have checked all connections for visible oil leak, next thing I would do is clean out the bilge then put down paper towels under the engine and trans mission, check later for any oil drips. One other thought, maybe some oil residue from a prior oil/filter change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

mikeg205
08-27-2013, 04:21 PM
How much of a film are we talking here? Got pics?

chriscraftmatt1976
08-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Could be gas. Oily film may be the gunk gas loosened up in the bilge compartment. If it IS oil, it should be fairly obvious it's not gas, which would make my comment pointless.

GoneBoatN
08-27-2013, 05:03 PM
I have a 2004 X-10 which has been working great this Summer.

Recently, over the past 2 weeks, I've noticed an oily film on the drain plug in the middle of the hull. In addition, the water which drains out now has a rainbow-like hue to it, so I'm absolutely certain that there is oil mixed in.

I checked the engine oil and it is full - - - while it is possible that the oil is leaking from the engine, I'm doubting it.

I haven't had a chance to check the transmission yet, but understand from the dealer that it uses oil rather than transmission fluid. That is next to check.

I'm curious if there are any common locations to check as far as oil leaks go, either around the engine or around the transmission. Any ideas where to look would certainly help me determine the cause and whether or not this is something I can easily handle or something I should let my dealer take care of.

Thanks, in advance, for the knowledge and expertise of the forum.

One of the areas to check that might not cross your mind at first are the lines running from the transmission to the oil cooler. Maybe lay some paper towels in the bottom of the bilge and let sit for a while to see if you are getting any drips from somewhere.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-28-2013, 07:15 AM
One of the areas to check that might not cross your mind at first are the lines running from the transmission to the oil cooler. Maybe lay some paper towels in the bottom of the bilge and let sit for a while to see if you are getting any drips from somewhere.

I'm thinking if it was tranny oil he'd see pink... I've never noticed if tranny oil causes the rainbow slick... Does it?

GoneBoatN
08-28-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm thinking if it was tranny oil he'd see pink... I've never noticed if tranny oil causes the rainbow slick... Does it?

As a v-drive it most likely has oil in the transmission. His post also said he was told by the dealer it has oil in it.

Goalie_ken
08-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Check to make sure your oil filter is not loose...happened to me once

chriscraftmatt1976
08-28-2013, 11:42 AM
As a v-drive it most likely has oil in the transmission. His post also said he was told by the dealer it has oil in it.

That's the v drive, not the transmission. Transmission still has tranny fluid, and that's what flows thru the cooler. There's not a cooler on the v drive, and that's what takes motor oil.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Check to make sure your oil filter is not loose...happened to me once

I've seen guys accidentally leave the old rubber gasket from the previous filter when they put the new one on. That'll usually do it! Usually more than a slow leak though...

mikeg205
08-28-2013, 02:11 PM
These engines atomize a bit of oil every time they run don't they - hence dirty spark arrestor from PCV? A little bit can make a residue... what about the anti corrosion winter spray we're supposed to put on... that drips off as well over time no?

chriscraftmatt1976
08-28-2013, 02:32 PM
These engines atomize a bit of oil every time they run don't they - hence dirty spark arrestor from PCV? A little bit can make a residue... what about the anti corrosion winter spray we're supposed to put on... that drips off as well over time no?

Oh, for sure. A little oil slick is normal. Dump some bilge cleaner in there and slosh it around. Drain. See how long till a slick develops. If the engine is topped off, it must not be leaking too bad...

GoneBoatN
08-28-2013, 02:52 PM
That's the v drive, not the transmission. Transmission still has tranny fluid, and that's what flows thru the cooler. There's not a cooler on the v drive, and that's what takes motor oil.

From the 2004 manual:

OK, so I guess to be clear I should have called it the transmission fluid cooler. Which most likely in this case the fluid is oil.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-28-2013, 03:52 PM
OK, so I guess to be clear I should have called it the transmission fluid cooler. Which most likely in this case the fluid is oil.[/QUOTE]

You mean the fluid he's getting in the bilge? Yes, most likely...

We r on the same page now. :)

musicmd
08-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Sorry for the delay in getting back. Life has been crazy and I've been unable to get pics or post an update until today. I wanted the boat for Labor Day weekend and actually ended up taking it to the dealer for a diagnosis. Luckily, it is good news.

The prize goes to Goalie-Ken - - - the dealer called back last night and stated that the oil filter wasn't seated properly. That's a huge relief. I bought the boat from them a year ago and they did the oil change with the winterization, so they made it right for no charge.

I still have a brake caliper which is sticking (discussed in another thread), but it will be possible to get out this Labor Day weekend.

Always nice to get news.

mikeg205
08-31-2013, 09:35 AM
awesome!!! love a great resolution!! especially when it's cheap or better - free!

chriscraftmatt1976
08-31-2013, 10:54 AM
awesome!!! love a great resolution!! especially when it's cheap or better - free!

O heck yes. Gotta love cheap resolution.