PDA

View Full Version : 1986 skier starting issues..

gaz46
08-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi guys.

just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this issue im having. Intermittently when I try to start the boat I just get a click when cranking, just like a flat battery. It will do this 4 or 5 times if you turn the ignition off and try to re start then suddenly it will crank and fire immediately. The starter is quite new, the battery is brand new as the the battery cables.

Any advice appreciated as the boat is sold and getting collected in 2 weeks. I changed the battery following advice from a mechanic after he took a look at it.

cheers, gaz.

87 TriStar 190
08-27-2013, 03:30 PM
My experience with a similar problem. Failed soleniod/relay. Did exactly as you described for a couple of years. When it finally failed, the starter energized and could not turn it off. Had to yank off the baterry terminal to kill the starter. Lucky I had someone in the boat to do that quickly. The relay is mounted on the engine block above the started. Takes about 10 minutes to replace and costs between $20 and $70. Depends on where you get it. Before isolating the failed relay, I bypassed all the safties to try to find the problem. Reconnected all those since replacing it and all is well. I was 'encouraged' to install a battery cut-off switch to protect the boat in case of a heat related relay failure that could put power to starter when no one was around and burn out the starter and cause a fire. I did install that switch and now I disconnect the battery when I pull the boat out, every time.

You should be able to test the relay by connecting the leads going to the battery and then turning the key and see if you get power out. No power, the relay is shot. You should have power every time you turn the key.

Let us know if this helps.

I have photos if needed. Be sure to record wire locations before disconnecting if you change it.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Sounds like a bad solenoid, assuming all the battery connections are clean.

gaz46
08-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply guys! Will a new solenoid be for a specific vehicle? Or anything containing a 351? Sorry if its a silly question.... Not had to much experience purchasing mc parts in the uk.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Ford solenoids come in 2 varieties but perform the exact same function.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Micharoe/2011-05-05_232838_86_ford_solenoid.jpg
http://stores.oksap.com/catalog/c0_1_b_238_1.JPG

Just had to replace a solenoid while I was on vacation. A quick $12 at the local parts store.

87 TriStar 190
08-28-2013, 06:35 PM
$12.00, wow. I paid to much. But, I bought it from a MC dealer. For $12.00 I better get a spare.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-28-2013, 06:37 PM
$12.00, wow. I paid to much. But, I bought it from a MC dealer. For $12.00 I better get a spare.

Some claim to be marine rated, but there is no difference.

87 TriStar 190
08-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Good to know there's not a difference. I'll pickup a spare tonight. Thanks.

gaz46
08-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Cheers for the pics! My replacement turned up today, its identical to the bottom one. I bought it from ebay uk if any of the uk guys are interested, 11 delivered.

Hoping to get it fitted this weekend before the new owner picks her up...

cheers for the help, gaz.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Cheers for the pics! My replacement turned up today, its identical to the bottom one. I bought it from ebay uk if any of the uk guys are interested, 11 delivered.

Hoping to get it fitted this weekend before the new owner picks her up...

cheers for the help, gaz.

Every once in a while a guy gets by on the cheap when dealing with a boat. http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/ani/ani_tiphat.gif