PDA

View Full Version : What should a custom interior cost?

Jorski
10-18-2005, 09:27 AM
In a reprise of a similar thread in another area, I am curious what a custom interior for a Prostar 190 would/should cost ?

Since I am not paricularly certain what the real situation is regarding replacement skins for older Prostars any recent experience/information in that regard would be helpful also.

Thanks,

Jordan

ski_king
10-18-2005, 09:42 AM
A complete set of skins made and installed from an upolestry shop for a closed bow should be somewhere from $1000 to $2000.

There are a number of posts on here regarding availability of skins from MC.

LakePirate
10-18-2005, 11:04 AM
You get what you pay for. I had the interior of my closed bow Tristar done for about $1200 4 years ago. I had 2 cracked exhaust manifolds and no where to work on it for the past 3 years. When I finally did get it running again, I was really disappointed with the work that was done on the interior. They just laid new carpet down on top of the old. The foam that they used was not nearly as good as the original.

My recommendation would be to find someone who has used a shop in your area and are pleased with the results. Hindsight being what it is, make sure that you look at the work done thoroughly. I was so excited that the seats were not torn any longer and the driver's seat didn't have to be held in place with a cooler that I didn't pay attention to the details. Had I caught some of the issues upon pickup, I would have made them fix them before I left. A classic example of live and learn.

Hunterb
10-18-2005, 12:51 PM
I just did this with my 1990 PS 190 (that may be the thread you refer to) and the cost was $1,500 (Canadian) for the foam and vinyl for the following:

Back seat
driver's seat
spotter seat
motor box
side panels

There was no foam or vinyl to start with so there were no templates to work with, which makes it more time consuming. The only problem I have had is that I want firmer foam in the seat bottoms. The guy that did it is going to put the foam in for me for the cost of the foam only.

He did very nice work and after one summer of use it still looks brand new. He used top quality vinyl, special thread, stainless staples etc.

I did the carpet myself. It was a bit of a pain, but the cost was only about $250.00

That's what it costs in Canada anyway. Good luck with your project.

Bruce

Jorski
10-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Hunterb,

Who did your work for you? Where are you located?

I am in Toronto...I recently was quoted $3,000-$3,500 by a couple of custom trim shops - seemed pretty high to me.

Any pictures of your interior Hunterb?

Hunterb
10-18-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm a long way from you. I'm on Vancouver Island so my guy won't be much help I'm afraid.

Here are a couple pictures. $3,000 to $3,500 is way too much. I don't think you will find OEM Mastercraft skins any more so you will probably have to find someone to do it for you. You should be able to cut that quote in half though.

Good luck. Let me know if you need anything.

Bruce

Jorski
10-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the help Hunterb!!

Lance
10-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Last year around December time frame there was discussion that Mastercraft was going to discontinue making old skins. I immediately bought a set for my '87 for about $850 from SkiBennetts (uninstalled) who was selling at a big discount from other sources I checked (others were selling a set for about $1100). I have subsequently heard that Mastercraft was still going to be making skins for older boats but they were going to be single color only (no accent colors). I later heard that they would still make skins with accent colors if they still had the material on hand but would not reorder the accent colors.

I have no idea how much of any of it is true. What I do know is that the skins I bought looked great. I still have to install them and haven't determined how much work that will be (for me or possibly someone else).

I would call Mastercraft direct and try to get the story. If they give you the good news that they are still making them I would consider ordering a set from them through one of their dealers (SkiBennetts, Rambo, Bay Area Water Sports), etc.

Lance