PDA

View Full Version : rub rail

JaredOSU
08-26-2013, 09:56 PM
I have a 1989 Prostar. my rub rail needs replaced. Where can I find a replacement?

mikeg205
08-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Tacomarine http://tacomarine.com/

Tristarboarder
08-27-2013, 03:44 PM
I removed and replaced my rub rail last year and went with Taco marine products as well. I replaced BOTH the rub tail and the insert as well, so that is a consideration. Go on their website, or someone who sells their product, (Rex Marine, I believe) and try to match the shape/style of the insert (very important, boat model specific) and then request one or multiple samples of the style/color you want to make sure it will conform to your hull's curve lines. Won't cost you a thing and gives you piece of mind before you buy 50' of rail and insert and have it shipped in a big coil....

Skir68
08-30-2013, 09:19 AM
I replaced the rubber insert on our 87' Prostar last year. I found a local shop Eagle Mouldings.

http://www.eagle-aluminum.com/Rub-Rail-Vinyl_c_91.html

They had the correct insert in stock! They just unrolled 50' plus a couple extra, and I was out the door!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2013, 09:25 AM
I replaced the rubber insert on our 87' Prostar last year. I found a local shop Eagle Mouldings.

http://www.eagle-aluminum.com/Rub-Rail-Vinyl_c_91.html

They had the correct insert in stock! They just unrolled 50' plus a couple extra, and I was out the door!

Thanks for posting the link. Replacement for mine is coming close to the top of the to do list.

Skir68
08-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks for posting the link. Replacement for mine is coming close to the top of the to do list.

Your Welcome! It's only 2 blocks from my office. If you bring a small piece with you, they will make sure to match it exactly. :) They even gave me some helpful hints to get the new stuff inserted! (not an easy task)!

Let me know, when your ready, I will help you install it!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Your Welcome! It's only 2 blocks from my office. If you bring a small piece with you, they will make sure to match it exactly. :) They even gave me some helpful hints to get the new stuff inserted! (not an easy task)!

Let me know, when your ready, I will help you install it!

Much appreciated. I haven't looked yet, but do they sell the aluminum channel as well?

Skir68
08-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Much appreciated. I haven't looked yet, but do they sell the aluminum channel as well?

YEP! They sure do! I thought about changing mine on the 87' I saw an 83' Nautique with a rope inside the aluminum channel,(VERY CLASSIC OLD SCHOOL) a teal rope would look sweet with the teal stripes on my boat. I didn't want to spend the time drilling the entire channel out and redrilling and riveting the new channel on!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2013, 10:51 PM
YEP! They sure do! I thought about changing mine on the 87' I saw an 83' Nautique with a rope inside the aluminum channel,(VERY CLASSIC OLD SCHOOL) a teal rope would look sweet with the teal stripes on my boat. I didn't want to spend the time drilling the entire channel out and redrilling and riveting the new channel on!

My channel has a chunk missing from a dock incident by the previous owner, and the insert has seen better days. I am planning a full replacement.

JaredOSU
09-08-2013, 12:32 PM
I have another couple of questions...
How hard is it to replace the carpet?
And when I put the new aluminum rub rail on, can I not just use the existing rivet holes and maybe use a larger rivet?

Skir68
09-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Hi Jared, I don't know about carpeting, but as far as the new rail goes, I drilled new holes, just because its not easy to see the old holes because you are covering them up with new rail! Make sense? I got a cheap rivet gun and 3/16 rivets and went to town. It was kinda fun after awhile drill hole, insert rivet and "pop" them tight! I just figured out a pattern so I didn't accidently drill into any existing holes.
Hope this helps you!

mikeg205
09-13-2013, 06:00 PM
I have another couple of questions...
How hard is it to replace the carpet?
And when I put the new aluminum rub rail on, can I not just use the existing rivet holes and maybe use a larger rivet?

Most likely the rivets are loose.. I did not have to put in a larger rivet. Drill out rivet - fill hole with 3M 5200 insert rivet - done.

tph
09-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Hi Jared, I don't know about carpeting, but as far as the new rail goes, I drilled new holes, just because its not easy to see the old holes because you are covering them up with new rail! Make sense? I got a cheap rivet gun and 3/16 rivets and went to town. It was kinda fun after awhile drill hole, insert rivet and "pop" them tight! I just figured out a pattern so I didn't accidently drill into any existing holes.
Hope this helps you!

I also drilled new holes for the rail. In addition, I reinstalled rivets in the old holes before installing the new rail. It's very solid now.