PDA

View Full Version : To Winterize or not?

h2oskier
10-18-2005, 07:05 AM
I will be storing my boat in the garage this year. I will have a space heater in the garage and will have the thermostat set to around 40 degrees. I will add stabil to the fuel and run it through the engine. Would I need to do anything more if the temp in the garage will not go below freezing? I will change the oil this season as well.

X-45
10-18-2005, 07:12 AM
Bath and a bed time story should do it.

:purplaugh

ski_king
10-18-2005, 08:34 AM
I would winterize anyway.
Water sitting inside the engine is going to cause some corrosion.
Also, what if you have a ice storm and lose electricity for a day or two?
Just my :twocents:

Ben
10-18-2005, 08:41 AM
I would also recommend doing a bit more, just in case. If for some reason, there is a freak cold weather storm where you are at and you get 2 weeks of 20 deg weather, the last thing you want to worry about is the boat you didn't winterize yet....

Just drain the block, unhooks the hoses on the front & pull the impeller. 10 minutes. Drive it aound to make sure all the water shakes out. 10 more minutes. 20 minutes for winter insurance.

bigmac
10-18-2005, 09:10 AM
I will be storing my boat in the garage this year. I will have a space heater in the garage and will have the thermostat set to around 40 degrees. I will add stabil to the fuel and run it through the engine. Would I need to do anything more if the temp in the garage will not go below freezing? I will change the oil this season as well.

I found that changing the engine and transmission oil and filter was more of a hassle and took longer than draining the block, hoses, and heater. And that's on a V-drive where access to the front of the MCX requires more in the way of contortions.

tex
10-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Buy a drysuit and take her for a spin once a week!

PointTaken
10-18-2005, 09:22 AM
You should be fine. I do the same. Plus, when you get that 70 degree day there in January, just take her out and run her around. She will be fine.

east tx skier
10-18-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm of the mind that you plan for the worst and hope for the best. Draining the block and manifold and spinning the engine over is the easiest part.

We have those 70 degree days in Jan. from time to time, too. It only takes a moment to replug and go.

Assuming that absolutely nothing goes wrong, you'll be fine. I wouldn't take that chance personally though.

SVO Joe
10-18-2005, 03:46 PM
I first post, but long time reader. I've owned several MasterCraft ski boats over the last 15 years. Draining is so quick and easy I can't see why you wouldn't do it just for the extra insurance.