PDA

View Full Version : Speed Up or Slow Down!!

j.robinson389
08-26-2013, 01:36 PM
I guess this is considered a rant, but I though I'd see what others think and if they have had similar problems.

While I would like to say this is only a problem with wallys or people who drive I/Os but it seems to be a problem with all types of boaters.

We spent a week on Laurel Lake in KY last week and it might as well have been a 5,500 acre private lake. It was cloudy and calm for most of the week, so the entire lake was glass all day long Monday - Thursday; absolutely incredible water conditions! BUT (here comes the rant) why do people think they are doing you a favor by slowing down from cruising speed to pass your floating boat? It doesn't bother me a bit if you fly by at 45mph WOT (as long as it is a safe distance away) or at idle, but PLEASE PLEASE stop slowing down from cruising speed to 10 mph and act like your're being nice.

We were sitting along the edge of a cliff towards the end of one of the river channels. All six of us were in the water just enjoying the calm quiet day, when a guy comes cruising up in a new Supra pickle fork doing about 30 I guess. Then as he gets close he slows to about 10mph and plows by us giving us a smile and wave as he goes buy and sends giant rollers towards us and the boat (nearly swamped the boat). I'm pretty sure it wasn't on purpose, but why don't people realize that the wake at 10mph is much larger than the wake at 30? I know I don't own the lake and wouldn't have thought twice about him driving by at 25+ mph but when people plow by and almost swamp your boat it is quite annoying.

This is just the latest instance in many years of this happening. Why don't people think? Does this bother anyone else?

sp00ky
08-26-2013, 01:54 PM
I guess this is considered a rant, but I though I'd see what others think and if they have had similar problems.

While I would like to say this is only a problem with wallys or people who drive I/Os but it seems to be a problem with all types of boaters.

We spent a week on Laurel Lake in KY last week and it might as well have been a 5,500 acre private lake. It was cloudy and calm for most of the week, so the entire lake was glass all day long Monday - Thursday; absolutely incredible water conditions! BUT (here comes the rant) why do people think they are doing you a favor by slowing down from cruising speed to pass your floating boat? It doesn't bother me a bit if you fly by at 45mph WOT (as long as it is a safe distance away) or at idle, but PLEASE PLEASE stop slowing down from cruising speed to 10 mph and act like your're being nice.

We were sitting along the edge of a cliff towards the end of one of the river channels. All six of us were in the water just enjoying the calm quiet day, when a guy comes cruising up in a new Supra pickle fork doing about 30 I guess. Then as he gets close he slows to about 10mph and plows by us giving us a smile and wave as he goes buy and sends giant rollers towards us and the boat (nearly swamped the boat). I'm pretty sure it wasn't on purpose, but why don't people realize that the wake at 10mph is much larger than the wake at 30? I know I don't own the lake and wouldn't have thought twice about him driving by at 25+ mph but when people plow by and almost swamp your boat it is quite annoying.

This is just the latest instance in many years of this happening. Why don't people think? Does this bother anyone else?

yep it bothers me too you can't hold inboard drivers to a higher standard anymore

sp00ky
08-26-2013, 01:55 PM

And I am very tired of the "they just don't know or realize what they are doing" POSERS go home.

CruisinGA
08-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Same issue on our lake.

I do think these people don't know what they are doing and think they are being nice. I know my dad was one of them. Took awhile for me to convince him that the boat needs to go either <6 or >19 and not in between.

SSMoose
08-26-2013, 02:33 PM
And I am very tired of the "they just don't know or realize what they are doing" POSERS go home.

No chit!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Ah...................the dreaded courtesy plow. http://www.fresh-hope.com/forums/images/smilies/tapping%20foot.gif

WVX14
08-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Funny you bring this up. I was teaching my wife some of the "unwritten rules" of driving this weekend, and this subject came up when she unintentionally gave an anchored boat a "courtesy plow." As I explained her error, She couldn't wrap her brain around it until I told her to turn around and look at her wake at 10 and 30mph. Then she got it.

Double D
08-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Agree totally on here about the courtesy plow. What a PITA when someone does that. When I see that about to happen I swing my arm in a big circle and try to get them to continue through at speed. Never really works. :(

Of course we (Zsqure and Me) had the opposite happen on Sunday. We were about 60 yards apart and heading towards each other on a corner of our channel (river) area and a I/O Cuddy comes speeding through between us at about 35 mph. He was probably about 35 feet away when he passed by me, doing the I/O stand and drive... I kind of blew it off until about 5 minutes later he went back through the other way and was cutting in front of people. Then I knew he was a pecker head!!

mikeg205
08-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Well at least you didn't have a boat driver (inboard - moomba) driver go full speed with a tube with kids between the boat I was in and a boat with kids behind it 50 feet from our boat where we slowed to idle. After last weekend - I know long have it out for Jet Skis... :) - I saw more unsafe drivers than I could count... :( - scary poop Sunday a few times...

CC2MC
08-26-2013, 03:51 PM
This happens every weekend with us. Our place is down by a very small bridge that only smaller towerless boats and PWCs can really go under. We constantly have boats come down to the bridge then turn around and send rollers at our dock from about 20-30' away from the dock. There is absolutely no reason to be that close to the dock and it really makes me angry. I wish I could do more about it, but ignorant people are just that. There are constantly the waverunners coming back and forth all day going under the bridge too which creates unnecessary waves, but at least they do not send waves over the sea wall.

2RLAKE
08-27-2013, 03:28 AM
Mr or Mrs Wally are on.y every lake! We have the same thing ... Have a person or two like that in our cove and about every weekend have a few that decide to come down our cove and look at all the houses ... Plowing with massive rollers

We were out footing a few weeks ago and at 7:45 here comes Mr Wally ... Big wave, slow turn and then he was gone

Oh well ... We are all waking up in the right side of the grass, we are living in Syria, and of course we have this awesome forum!

Good morning from the Virgin Atlantic lounge in London

Andyg
08-27-2013, 12:28 PM
I am definitely not a fan of bigger government or them sticking their nose in what I like to do, but why don't we require boat licensing like driver licensing for cars. It's probably more dangerous to learn to drive a boat than it is to learn to drive a car. Not to mention who is doing the teaching of people that are getting a boat for the first time? Themselves is the answer. I bet half of new boat owners don't even know the boating laws when they buy a new boat and take it out the first time. We have graduated drivers licenses for young people so that they can learn to drive before they have a car load of people. Have a written test and a boat driving test before you get your license just like a car. It would educate people that there are different ways that people use their boats and some common courtesies could be taught to everyone. Now whether they actual follow what they learn after they get back on the water that is a different story.

Willski
08-29-2013, 10:11 AM
I see this all the time as well. Especially by our boat club ramp on the river. I think some boaters just never look behind them!?!

j.robinson389
08-29-2013, 11:11 AM
I see this all the time as well. Especially by our boat club ramp on the river. I think some boaters just never look behind them!?!

Nothing better than loading a boat on a stormy/windy day, with some idiot plowing by! That's what I call the boaters perfect storm

Tri4X2
08-29-2013, 11:52 AM
had this happen to us the other week on Lake Travis. We tied up with another boat and where all in the water just chilling... all of a sudden some guy with a Glastron rolls by 15 yards off our boats through the cove at 10mph.... Not a care in the world and ended up doing it multiple times... he got the air horn from me the second time. Just threw his hands up like "uh.. sup dude?"

MattsCraft
08-29-2013, 03:23 PM
I am definitely not a fan of bigger government or them sticking their nose in what I like to do, but why don't we require boat licensing like driver licensing for cars. It's probably more dangerous to learn to drive a boat than it is to learn to drive a car. Not to mention who is doing the teaching of people that are getting a boat for the first time? Themselves is the answer. I bet half of new boat owners don't even know the boating laws when they buy a new boat and take it out the first time. We have graduated drivers licenses for young people so that they can learn to drive before they have a car load of people. Have a written test and a boat driving test before you get your license just like a car. It would educate people that there are different ways that people use their boats and some common courtesies could be taught to everyone. Now whether they actual follow what they learn after they get back on the water that is a different story.

I totally agree, including pre-launch prep, launching, docking retrieval to the test!

d2jp
08-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Well at least you didn't have a boat driver (inboard - moomba) driver go full speed with a tube with kids between the boat I was in and a boat with kids behind it 50 feet from our boat where we slowed to idle. After last weekend - I know long have it out for Jet Skis... :) - I saw more unsafe drivers than I could count... :( - scary poop Sunday a few times...

I was pulling my daughter and friend on a tube on Sunday, it was pretty busy but not crazy. Off to starboard I see an X-Star pulling three tubes. 'Hey cool, a fellow MC owner' I thought. Then I noticed the crazy zig-zag...there is an observer and a driver in 'star. They are overtaking me from starboard...zig-zagging along whipping the three tubes outside of the wake. As he approached withing 50' of me I'm blowing the horn and checking around me to make sure I'm good to cut the power, which I did. I throw my arms up like '***'. Obverser never even acknowledges we are there...and the kid on the closest tube - now about 30' from my bow and heading in front of my boat gives the the index and pinky rock-and-roll surfer dude salute! Like, I guess this kid thought it was normal to have is jackwagon dad whip their boat and tube into another boat's way. Yeah, before this I'd held MC owners and inboards to a higher standard. No more.

scott023
08-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Same issue on our lake.

I do think these people don't know what they are doing and think they are being nice. I know my dad was one of them. Took awhile for me to convince him that the boat needs to go either <6 or >19 and not in between.

That's the key. Many, many people don't realize this.

Bert
08-29-2013, 08:28 PM
I was pulling my daughter and friend on a tube on Sunday, it was pretty busy but not crazy. Off to starboard I see an X-Star pulling three tubes. 'Hey cool, a fellow MC owner' I thought. Then I noticed the crazy zig-zag...there is an observer and a driver in 'star. They are overtaking me from starboard...zig-zagging along whipping the three tubes outside of the wake. As he approached withing 50' of me I'm blowing the horn and checking around me to make sure I'm good to cut the power, which I did. I throw my arms up like '***'. Obverser never even acknowledges we are there...and the kid on the closest tube - now about 30' from my bow and heading in front of my boat gives the the index and pinky rock-and-roll surfer dude salute! Like, I guess this kid thought it was normal to have is jackwagon dad whip their boat and tube into another boat's way. Yeah, before this I'd held MC owners and inboards to a higher standard. No more.

Used to be inboards were slalom boats and the owners were skiers that liked flat water and drove to preserve that.

Wallys had I/O's and pulled tubes and drove in circles. Inboard boat builders went after that market with the big tuna boats like the ballasted wakeboard boats. Any kid with a steady job can qualify for the loans and the lakes are full of them. They were allways there but now they have inboards.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-31-2013, 01:17 AM
Used to be inboards were slalom boats and the owners were skiers that liked flat water and drove to preserve that.

Wallys had I/O's and pulled tubes and drove in circles. Inboard boat builders went after that market with the big tuna boats like the ballasted wakeboard boats. Any kid with a steady job can qualify for the loans and the lakes are full of them. They were allways there but now they have inboards.

Agreed. There were maybe 3-4 inboards on our whole lake back in the day. The v drive is the new wally boat in the wrong hands.

Mark rsa2au
08-31-2013, 04:09 AM

Welcome to boating in Australia!
You must have a boat licence / PWC licence to operate either! It is linked to your drivers licence and subject to the same penalties, and you have to do a strict test first.

Blood alcohol over 0.5.... loose your boat licence AND your drivers license, and if you are considdered "High Range" blood alcohol the law can confiscate your boat. Reckless driving can mean loss of licence as well. Cops patrol popular areas on high power PWC's and have the power to stop and search your boat for safety gear.. all kids wearing life vests, enough vests for all on board, boat registration, breath test etc.

Still does not deter the idiots but you can video them as the boat registration is linked to your licence as well......

Now only if there was a test for common sense.....or even courtsey ....?

mikeg205
08-31-2013, 09:02 AM
You must have a boat licence / PWC licence to operate either! It is linked to your drivers licence and subject to the same penalties, and you have to do a strict test first.

Blood alcohol over 0.5.... loose your boat licence AND your drivers license, and if you are considdered "High Range" blood alcohol the law can confiscate your boat. Reckless driving can mean loss of licence as well. Cops patrol popular areas on high power PWC's and have the power to stop and search your boat for safety gear.. all kids wearing life vests, enough vests for all on board, boat registration, breath test etc.

Still does not deter the idiots but you can video them as the boat registration is linked to your licence as well......

Now there you go - injecting trying inject logic in those who have no capacity for it...

I hope to capture some idiocy tomorrow as we have a holiday weekend... ;) - you guys down under starting to see a glimmer of spring?

scott023
08-31-2013, 10:03 AM

That has got to keep some of the meat heads from performing.

AlbertaSurfer
08-31-2013, 10:32 AM

Canada has a boaters license as well, but it doesn't really mean much. The exam mostly pertains to operating on major waterways rather than small inland lakes. The RCMP will search your boat for safety gear, life vests and alcohol as well. In reality, there's never going to be a licensing program that states "you can't tow tubes with an XStar and make waves on the lake", however nice that might be. Too many people tube. I was recently on holidays with my whole family in Saskatchewan, and you think incoild get any of the kids to try waterskiing? Man, that damn tube was the bane of my existence!

There will always be people who don't understand. Pretty much everything covered in the Canadian boaters license is for general safety, and nothing on common courtesy. I was running a slalom course last weekend and a guy with 5 kids in his boat drives past me fallen in the middle of the course, and parks it right at the end of the closing gate, maybe 50' off the bouys! I idled over there to explain what the slalom course was and that we would be done in about a half hour, if he wouldn't mind moving, and he runs his yap about having the right to fish wherever he pleases! That's a real lesson to teach the kids in your boat... It's not like we could move the slalom course.

ChandlerR
09-01-2013, 07:23 AM

You hit the nail on the head with this explanation. Just las week we watched a BU 247 doing wallys, getting too close to other boats, standing up driving. Pretty much broke every rule in the book. All appeared to be mid to late 20's. They had no clue.

Mark rsa2au
09-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Now there you go - injecting trying inject logic in those who have no capacity for it...

I hope to capture some idiocy tomorrow as we have a holiday weekend... ;) - you guys down under starting to see a glimmer of spring?

Spring has Sprung Downunder! Perfect day today for a ski! I am sure mother nature will throw a few last minute cold snaps but summer is comming ....!

Bert
09-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Canada has a boaters license as well, but it doesn't really mean much. The exam mostly pertains to operating on major waterways rather than small inland lakes. The RCMP will search your boat for safety gear, life vests and alcohol as well. In reality, there's never going to be a licensing program that states "you can't tow tubes with an XStar and make waves on the lake", however nice that might be. Too many people tube. I was recently on holidays with my whole family in Saskatchewan, and you think incoild get any of the kids to try waterskiing? Man, that damn tube was the bane of my existence!

There will always be people who don't understand. Pretty much everything covered in the Canadian boaters license is for general safety, and nothing on common courtesy. I was running a slalom course last weekend and a guy with 5 kids in his boat drives past me fallen in the middle of the course, and parks it right at the end of the closing gate, maybe 50' off the bouys! I idled over there to explain what the slalom course was and that we would be done in about a half hour, if he wouldn't mind moving, and he runs his yap about having the right to fish wherever he pleases! That's a real lesson to teach the kids in your boat... It's not like we could move the slalom course.
50 feet off the bouys is out of the way:D I find they leave after a few sprays in the face off a ski;) They kind of deserve it after you were nice and explained to them.

AlbertaSurfer
09-01-2013, 05:08 PM
He was inline with the end of the course, about 50' out. My driver had to turn before I came out of the closing gate. We did turn around him a half dozen times after he didn't move, but I felt bad about it. He had kids in there.

Bert
09-01-2013, 05:30 PM
You hit the nail on the head with this explanation. Just las week we watched a BU 247 doing wallys, getting too close to other boats, standing up driving. Pretty much broke every rule in the book. All appeared to be mid to late 20's. They had no clue.
Out skiing early today and like clockwork they showed up at the crack of noon to do circles in the cove beside the course with the surfers. Do they need smooth water to make waves for surfing or couldn't they do that out in the bigger parts of the lake. Unfortunately this time of year the river is low and we are forced to ski in the lake but after this weekend they all put em away:D