PDA

View Full Version : Possible 93 PS 190 Project...Advice Please!

jjpetta
08-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Greetings,

OK, so this is my first post here on the forum as I am a new member and about to be a new owner of a Mastercraft tow boat. I grew up on a water ski team in Northern WI and have been looking at getting into skiing and a boat for a reasonable price... I think I might have found what I am looking for.

The boat is a 93 PS190 that I have ties to through a good friend of mine that lives in Tacoma, WA. This boat is owned by his boss and my buddy has spent many hours in this boat as his boss has let him use it often over the past 5-7 years. I will also say that I know my friend is quite knowledgeable in regards to maintaining the drivetrain and hull of boats. That being said, he believes the boat is very solid and really just needs some elbow grease. The following pics are what I am dealing with:

The boat was not used much at all in salt water, but was stored near the coast, so there is some corrosion issues on things like mounting screws, the trailer, and other misc things. The boat is solid though, the floor is good, the gel coat is good, and the motor runs great, but it does not look very good as can be seen in the pics (second post).

So now that I have rambled on, this is where I ask for advice. I can get the boat as is for $4,000 and will have almost a grand into the trip to go get it. Given the pics and the limited info I have provided, is this something that I should consider? What else should I bee looking for? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

jjpetta
08-26-2013, 12:33 PM
More pics:

Ski-me
08-26-2013, 12:40 PM
So, what engine is that? I would of expected a Ford 351, carb engine but it looks like a GM....but also a carb. Has it been switched somehow or was this avaliable that year?

The upholstery looks to be redone and the rear seat doesn't look to be correct (modified during re-upholstery perhaps).

mikeg205
08-26-2013, 12:41 PM
93 with a Chevy? hmm thought they were Ford 351's - used in salt water always get's me thinking.. lot's of rust on the riser union.

What's your budget for repairs? A new set of risers and exhaust manifolds will be about $1K. I'd immediately install a new raw water pump - $185 - Kyle has a cool cupholder.. ;)

How many hours total? Wheres the top of the ski pylon?

If you're going to drive it back - would check drums and throw in a new set of bearings.

How old are the tires on trailer?

How do the springs look?

Do trailer breaks work? Trailer break refurb - $500-$1K

chriscraftmatt1976
08-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Rusty. Personally, I wouldn't touch anything that's touched salt water... Ever.

My. 02

jjpetta
08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
He put the Chevy motor in the boat about 5 years ago as I believe the previous motor failed at some point, total hours on the boat is just over 700, and the top of the ski pylon is in the storage area (I think it was removed so the tall pylon could be slotted over it). I really do not think it has had a lot of salt water use, but I am going to build a list of questions to ask this week. The good thing is that my buddy gets nothing out of me buying this boat, so he is making sure I get all the questions answered without any BS. The owner is not desperate to get rid of it (he has several boats), and does not need to get much out of it - it is a real casual sort of deal.

rodltg2
08-26-2013, 01:16 PM
For the amount of money and time to get in good shape, you would be better off finding a clean one local.

Jerseydave
08-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Nice project boat! If it runs and you can ski behind it then $4K is an ok price (although I'd try to knock that down a bit if possible)

If the trailer is really rusty, I'd think twice about trailering it home. Try to rent a flatbed trailer somewhere or use Uship.com

Even if the engine doesn't last, you could spend up to $6K more in repairs/cosmetics and still only have $10K into it and it will last you another 10-20 years with proper care.

Clean up what you can, change all the fluids, tune up, impeller, belt, etc and run it.
You may want to get a marine survey done since you're so far away. Good ammo to negotiate a lower price.

gsxrjtt
08-26-2013, 01:46 PM
for 3-4k do it.. even a brand new reman is 2800 for an lt1...

chriscraftmatt1976
08-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Nice project boat! If it runs and you can ski behind it then $4K is an ok price (although I'd try to knock that down a bit if possible)

If the trailer is really rusty, I'd think twice about trailering it home. Try to rent a flatbed trailer somewhere or use Uship.com

Even if the engine doesn't last, you could spend up to $6K more in repairs/cosmetics and still only have $10K into it and it will last you another 10-20 years with proper care.

Clean up what you can, change all the fluids, tune up, impeller, belt, etc and run it.
You may want to get a marine survey done since you're so far away. Good ammo to negotiate a lower price.

I agree, but why do all that work? For 10k you could get a need nothing locally...

Bert
08-26-2013, 01:58 PM
It has 93 gel coat scheme, what appears to be some 93 interior pieces with a modified back seat, a chevy motor and dash pod out of a 91. Seems this boat has had some weird things done to it. Why would you put a chevy in rather than repair the ford? I would stay away from that boat for those reasons but look at all the corrosion on everything.

Bouyhead
08-26-2013, 02:07 PM
That boat appears to be pretty well molested, stay away.

Kyle
08-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Post up the hull #. I doubt that boat is a '93

1) engine should be a ford. The replacing it with a 350 is fine bc Chevys are cheaper to build than a ford 351. But, was the proper cam installed or does it have high out put heads, etc on it. I bet it is a normal 350 with not a lot of power.

2) the dash is not a '93 dash. It is a '91 dash.

3) the captain chair is not even a Mastercraft seat. If it was a '93 the the sides would not dip down where you can see bottom seat coushin from the sides.

4) the back seat is not even a mc seat. It was made so 3 passengers could sit back there but it is not original. I wonder what kind of material was made to build it.

5) the gel is great. If you purchase it use colanite 3 stage oxidation remover. Wipe on hand buff off. Very little elbow grease needed. If you have a buffer then badda bing a Saturday afternoon and she will look new. Also sand and oil the teak platform. There are plenty of threads here on how to DIY.

6) the trailer is a huge concern. A new trailer can be had for 4k. This being said make sure the trailer is not a pos.

Personally you can revive the boat and make it look very presentable. The back seat doesn't do it for me but if you're on a budget then I say get something that gets you on the water and let the labor of love get to work.

Btw it appears to have the power slot transmission. That is a very nice item to have.

I wouldn't rule it out bc of the engine conversion, I would just drive it and see if you like it. All of the pink in the gell will come out and be bright red again. But you will spend lots of hours putting the love into her.

Cloaked
08-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Pass on the boat. There is no such thing as a good deal when it comes to buying someone else's problems. If the other person is willing to give you $4,000 to take the boat off his hands, that is what I would consider a good deal. Otherwise, walk away, in my opinion.

Salt is always an issue, regardless. You'll need new heads too.

Too many what-ifs... The guy that said the boat has been well cared for, etc??? Poo-Poo....and a lot of it..

$0.02

AZDave
08-26-2013, 03:15 PM
These boats can be found for 10k with <1000 hours in pristine shape. The trailer is probably toast if it was in salt water. Take a ball peen hammer to every crossmember and I bet you find some dead spots. Find one in better shape, you will be skiing right away. Only buy this if you can get the price to 2k and you have a few hundred hours of free time to work on it.

jjpetta
08-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks everybody for the advice, I welcome all the input I can get. I am going to investigate some more before making a final decision.

Bouyhead
08-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Project boats are fun, I've resurrected a few basket case boats. Nothing like going thru a boat bow to stern knowing its right. If you start with an unmolested, original boat the project is much easier. The big issue I see here is not only is it not original, but I'm assuming you have to tow a few hundred miles each direction? Man, a lot can go wrong on a trip like that. I've flipped a few boats and haven't traveled further then 150 miles round trip. I would go further for a killer deal but this doesn't seem like the one to me.

Ski-me
08-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Looks like a Seattle WA trip to Minnesota....a few thousand miles.

Rockman
08-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Looks like a Seattle WA trip to Minnesota....a few thousand miles.

U-Ship it! :D

Bouyhead
08-26-2013, 07:20 PM
U-Ship it! :D

Pram pays, right?

mikeg205
08-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Pram pays, right?

lol... and remind me to never let you tow my boat...

Hatch7
08-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Rather than making the long trek to buy a questionable boat put the time into finding one close in good shape. I only like salt with my margarita - keep it off the boat.

Ironhorse
08-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Have your buddy take it out again and water test it. Tell him to watch the temp gauge and listen closely for any odd sounds (including the tranny). Once done a compression check may be in order. The rest of the items may be cosmetic if the trailer is good. It sounds fair at $4K if the power train if fine.

jjpetta
08-29-2013, 01:04 AM
So...

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for their honest, straight forward, great non biased opinions. After doing some more research and comparing what I could get for similar money I came to a conclusion:

Today I drove 90 miles (instead of 1800) to look at a 88 TriStar 190 that has been owned by a fellow Ski Team alumni for the past 16 years. He bought it from a (at that point) 68 year old man that owned it from new. Fresh water only, well maintained, super clean and quiet original motor, original upholstery (some areas need a bit of work - 6 out of 10 rating), great trailer in excellent condition, 720 hrs on the hull and motor. Oxidized exterior with no serious nicks or dings (great gel coat condition), one soft spot in the floor right behind the motor (engine cover hinge area), and otherwise very good condition.

Bought it for $4700. I feel really good about the purchase and looking forward to getting her polished up looking great! I know the TriStar is not for everybody, but I have a wife and two kids (5 and 7) and feel that for the money I would be hard pressed to get another Mastercraft, let alone boat. Pics are from tonight with no work done.

Let me know what you think. Cheers!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-29-2013, 02:33 AM
You definitely hit a home run with that boat. Congrats!

Give me a shout if you need any trailer accessories.

d2jp
08-29-2013, 11:21 AM
You definitely hit a home run with that boat. Congrats!

Give me a shout if you need any trailer accessories.

Great deal on the Tristar..and as I read from another '80's MC owner...these older boats are dependable and easy to maintain - you'll probably spend more time and money keeping the trailer going than the boat:)

MikeyOrange88
08-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Ah yes, the Tristar 190. I have an '88 as well, closed bow though. You and the family will enjoy that boat. Great first MC. Mine has been very dependable. Trailer looks like mine which was built by SMP. Don't let the "bar" frustrate you (or your wife) when loading, just takes a little practice getting the trailer in the water the correct depth. Some have cursed it, some replaced it with the newer Boat Buddy system, but I still have the bar on mine. I did add a pivot hitch so I could fit it into the garage.
I had the same deal on the soft floor panel behind the engine. I'll search for the link to a thread where I fixed it. It isn't too bad of a project to do. Post or PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck with it.:)

Link to my repair thread of the floor:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51871&highlight=bouncy

MIne is alos the same dark blue gelcoat, but with white. Same interior colors as well. Cool.

Ski-me
08-29-2013, 01:20 PM
That looks great and congrats on your new boat! I'm not too familiar with that boat but it looks pretty nice. Open bow really helps with kids and spreading out in a DD type boat. And when you are ready to ski, you can take a few people out and I'm sure that helps the ski wake. It certainly does on my 205. The best of both worlds!

So how does the ski wake look on that boat?

EricB
08-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Much better decision. With the age of your kids the TriStar open bow will be much better. Also, no saltwater in MN (as long as it was not trailered in winter).

So what ski team in northern Wisconsin?

jjpetta
08-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Kwahamot Ski Club out of Tomahawk. They just had a great season winning D3 State comp and 3rd in Nationals.

glhanna129
08-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Tomahawk a great place to live and even better place to ski!

drschemel
08-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a great deal. My family has loved our Tristar for the last 10 years. Be careful about dipping the bow when you turn into a wake!

EricB
08-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Very cool. I wish you guys the best of luck. You should really enjoy the boat!

AZDave
08-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Good find! that boat will clean up really good. The soft area behind the box should be honeycomb aluminum and can be fixed easily.

orbeamlb
08-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Nice boat. Same color scheme as my '88 PS200. Your TriStar should buff out well. Welcome to the MC Family.

MikeyOrange88
08-30-2013, 12:04 AM
The soft area behind the box should be honeycomb aluminum and can be fixed easily.

'88 still had the wood glassed into the bottom of the fiberglass shell for all the center panels. The honeycomb came later, but not sure the exact year. A lot of water from stepping into the boat from the platform lands there between the rear seat and the motor box and the hinges bolt though there, causing the rotting of the wood core. It can still be fixed easily though.

jjpetta
08-30-2013, 12:45 AM
I really cannot thank everyone enough for the advice, knowledge, and shared experiences. I feel confident thus far in my purchase, and look forward to the maiden family voyage tomorrow afternoon!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Good luck :toast:

Greenwood87
09-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Sounds like a great deal. My family has loved our Tristar for the last 10 years. Be careful about dipping the bow when you turn into a wake!

This is son fun to do to your unsuspecting passengers!

h2oskifreak
09-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Good decision. The 1991-1993 "parts boat" was a disaster. Way too much work and cost with that one. Time and info always makes for better decisions and looks like you made a good one. Enjoy!

Traxx822
09-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Reading through the first page I was getting a bit scared. Very glad you found that Tristar. You got a good price on it too. Have fun.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

91tri190
09-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Welcome to TT from a felllow Tristar owner in the Twin Cities. Not sure where you live in MN however send me a Private Message (PM) and we can connect with any questions you have. Steve

jjpetta
09-03-2013, 09:30 PM
I live in Brainerd, and thanks for the offer to help with any questions I may have, really appreciate it!