PDA

View Full Version : HO Superlight X or Radar Senate C

svxwilson
08-25-2013, 05:31 PM
I believe it is time for me to get a new stick. I currently have a 2010 HO Comp Freeride with 2012 attack double boots. I have been reading up on both of these skis (HO superlight X, Radar Senate C). I am curious if anyone has any preferences and why. I have never been on a course, but I enjoy riding hard in the open water.

I am also curious with what length I should get. I weigh 185-190lbs and am 6'. I have always rode a 67", I am right in the upper end (weight) of the 67" and lower end of a 69".

Cheers!

RadarDad
08-27-2013, 09:02 PM
As you can tell I am going to say Radar. As far as the size. 67" is for 150 to 190lbs. A 69" is from 180 to 220lbs. I would go with the 67". A 69" is a big ski, just don't gain allot of weight.

svxwilson
08-28-2013, 12:40 PM
As you can tell I am going to say Radar. As far as the size. 67" is for 150 to 190lbs. A 69" is from 180 to 220lbs. I would go with the 67". A 69" is a big ski, just don't gain allot of weight.

Why Radar? The only skis I have ever rode have been HO so that is my only reference.

If I lift for gains I can get over 200lbs relatively easily. I have been taking a summer break from the gym. I am a very lean 190 right now. I have the strength to ride a longer ski, is there benefit to this? My 67 feels short sometimes. I doubt I will ever be much above 205 though. My body doesn't like being much above 190, I have to work (eat excessively and lift 5 days a week) to get above 195.

RadarDad
08-29-2013, 01:27 PM
After thinking about the ski lenght. I think the 69" may be a better bet. I ski a 68" Strada at 36 mph. I am between 195 and 205lbs. As far as Radar vs HO. I to only skied HO for the 14 years my son worked for them. After the evil empire took over. The guys that made the best skies HO ever made went to Square One. I have found the Radar skies more to my liking and I just enjoy sking on them more. If it wasn't for the improved skies I do not know if I would still be out there at 61 years old. By the way the bindings are really nice.

mikeg205
08-29-2013, 02:26 PM
I have a Super Lite and love it. I came off a 2010 Free Ride as well. It's a fun ski - turns on a dime.. lot's of fun at 36 mph... :D - Also have a 2010 Triumph which I jumping back on to get my fundamentals down. I don't like the Super Lite at 30mph ... I use animal bindings... some nice prices on the super lite on ebay and will prolly see some good deals later this winter.

mikeg205
08-29-2013, 02:27 PM
After thinking about the ski lenght. I think the 69" may be a better bet. I ski a 68" Strada at 36 mph. I am between 195 and 205lbs. As far as Radar vs HO. I to only skied HO for the 14 years my son worked for them. After the evil empire took over. The guys that made the best skies HO ever made went to Square One. I have found the Radar skies more to my liking and I just enjoy sking on them more. If it wasn't for the improved skies I do not know if I would still be out there at 61 years old. By the way the bindings are really nice.

Hey Radar - good to know you're still riding at 61... I have 8 years to get there :D ....

Notice your almost a neighbor...where do you usually ride?

RadarDad
08-29-2013, 09:58 PM
On the Fox River, Port Barrington. I have been on the river for 50 years. I get out at 7:00 am. On the week ends.(any later and the wake boarders are out). I hope that I gave you some help on the skies.

svxwilson
08-29-2013, 11:41 PM
On the Fox River, Port Barrington. I have been on the river for 50 years. I get out at 7:00 am. On the week ends.(any later and the wake boarders are out). I hope that I gave you some help on the skies.

Yes it did. I think I am going to try a 69". I appreciate everyones input. I still am not sold on either particular one. I think I will just buy the one that is the best deal (winter ebay).

What are your thoughts on the regular senate or coefficient X. Is it worth it to go with the lighter versions? I ride open water it will be a few years till I get to ride a course. There are none in my area.

mikeg205
08-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Both ski's are great-- made by the O'brien mind... Radar just Herb O'briens 3rd company. I just had the extra ducky for the superlite.

mikeg205
08-30-2013, 08:21 AM

Weekends rough on the illinois river as well mid day... clear up though after 4:00pm as everyone starts leaving... sorry for the slight thread jack.

bturner2
08-30-2013, 09:10 AM
I currently ride a Senate 69" and came from a Connelly Concept 67". Rode nothing but Connelly for past 8 years. I went looking for a new ski because the Connelly seemed too short at my 210 - 215 weight and I took a pair of over the front falls early in the season. Figured it was time to change something up quick or quit slalom.

Read a bunch of reviews and demo'd the Radar with a pair of Vector feather light bindings. first thing I noticed was the ski was very noticeably lighter than the concept. Next the bindings were night and day more comfortable than the Sidewinders I had on the Connelly. They were more like wearing a skate shoe while the Connelly had that old school stiff rubber feeling. Lastly the Senate carved the turns much like the first ski I owned (EP Comp 1) which was a very secure and comfortable feeling after experiencing those falls. The extra length also made the starts a bit easier. The Connelly was more of a turn to turn ski which I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that like this style. At my age and level that more in control carving style fits my needs more at this time.

Been skiing the Radar for about 2 months now and have no regrets or buyer's remorse. I would recommend the Senate to anyone looking for a solid easy to ride ski with very good performance capabilities.