PDA

View Full Version : Water in hull

bowtie guy
08-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Hello all,

Well I removed my non-operational blower today from the starboard side wall of the bilge and water began leaking from the mounting screw hole. :eek: I am presuming that this section of the hull is filled with foam and should be sealed from any water entering the cavity? I also have a couple small areas of "squishy" floor on both port and starboard sides of the engine cover. Should I have major concerns? Can I repair with drilling the floor and adding foam?

Thanks very much in advance!

chriscraftmatt1976
08-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Uh oh. What year boat? Your tri star?

bowtie guy
08-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Yes. Your uh oh has just made me say uh oh...

chriscraftmatt1976
08-23-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm interested to hear what others have to say, but a soft floor to me indicates a larger issue. You're obviously holding water in there, and I shudder to think what it looks like under the floor boards.

I've dealt with lots of boats way older than that with no floor issues. If it were my boat, I'd pull the floor up, fix whatever you find, and put in new floor and carpet over the winter. If not, problem will only get worse.

Other opinions?

jsturvey
08-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Agreed^. I am not sure when MC went to no wood construction, But if the boat is a '90 model, I'd venture to say you have a wood deck and stringers that are rotting out from underneath you.

madcityskier
08-23-2013, 10:14 PM
No wood since 83..5. If the foam gets waterlogged, to floor will lack support.

bowtie guy
08-24-2013, 01:41 AM
OK, I replaced the really worn shaft packing with goretex the other day because the bilge was getting swamped the first and only time I took it out. I have a feeling that the previous owners allowed water to fill the bilge for who knows how long. Wondering if this was the source of the problem, and hoping it will not continue. I would like to fill the voids under the floor with spray foam and see how that works. Is this OK?

chriscraftmatt1976
08-24-2013, 12:03 PM
OK, I replaced the really worn shaft packing with goretex the other day because the bilge was getting swamped the first and only time I took it out. I have a feeling that the previous owners allowed water to fill the bilge for who knows how long. Wondering if this was the source of the problem, and hoping it will not continue. I would like to fill the voids under the floor with spray foam and see how that works. Is this OK?

My dad says 'don't just do the right things, do things right.'

I don't know if that will work or not, but if the floors is soft you're gonna end up dealing with it some day. I've never tried fixing a soft floor this way, and I have my doubts it will work well, not to mention, you're not fixing the real problem. How's the water getting in there? Just sitting in the bilge shouldn't lead to water in there. It's leaking in somewhere., unless it was getting higher than the stringers in the back? I'm not positive, I don't have much experience on tri stars.

mikeg205
08-24-2013, 01:07 PM
1988 water prolly coming at deck hull union.... post some pic's

chriscraftmatt1976
08-24-2013, 04:00 PM
1988 water prolly coming at deck hull union.... post some pic's

You mean like rubrail in the back? That would make sense. 200 v is famous for that from the factory. The 211's were as well.

mikeg205
08-24-2013, 04:47 PM
You mean like rubrail in the back? That would make sense. 200 v is famous for that from the factory. The 211's were as well.

Yup! - Traxxx was getting a ton of water before he had his fixed on his maristar...there's a video of if around here somewhere.

bowtie guy
08-24-2013, 05:05 PM
I checked the hull deck joint and appears OK. Don't know if rub rail removal is required for thorough inspection??

chriscraftmatt1976
08-24-2013, 06:12 PM
I checked the hull deck joint and appears OK. Don't know if rub rail removal is required for thorough inspection??

It is.

mikeg205
08-24-2013, 06:25 PM
easy to remove and re-install... pour warm to hot water on it - or use heat gun to remove. Installation just need a heat gun and a wooden spatula

bowtie guy
08-24-2013, 06:48 PM
OK will do. I will post back with findings...what exactly am I looking for?

Cloaked
08-24-2013, 06:59 PM
OK will do. I will post back with findings...what exactly am I looking for? You're making this harder than it should be.

Get up under the rub rail with a gun loaded with silicon caulking. Cut a small portion of the tip off and look for any place you can get that tip and squirt it full. Run up each side and all around looking for a crack or crevice you can fill... wipe off any excess and let it set overnight. Done deal.

I've seen this issue on many of the older boats and that has always been my remedy. The only way I'd pull the rub rail (too many rivets) is if I were going to split the deck from the hull or was going to replace the rail and the filler. Otherwise, it's as sound as it will ever be, you just need to fill a few open places.

bowtie guy
08-24-2013, 07:15 PM
I very much like that solution! Many thanks for so much input, very appreciated.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-26-2013, 08:18 AM
I very much like that solution! Many thanks for so much input, very appreciated.

I've repaired boats after its been done like that. It may even fix your problem, but I would never do that to my boat. Couldn't sleep at nite...

mikeg205
08-26-2013, 10:27 AM
You're making this harder than it should be.

Get up under the rub rail with a gun loaded with silicon caulking. Cut a small portion of the tip off and look for any place you can get that tip and squirt it full. Run up each side and all around looking for a crack or crevice you can fill... wipe off any excess and let it set overnight. Done deal.

I've seen this issue on many of the older boats and that has always been my remedy. The only way I'd pull the rub rail (too many rivets) is if I were going to split the deck from the hull or was going to replace the rail and the filler. Otherwise, it's as sound as it will ever be, you just need to fill a few open places.

As I can agree always with cloaked - this project took me 4 hours start to finish. The biggest PITA was removing the loose rivets. I used 3m 5200 to re-seal the hull deck seam and then each rivet got a installed with 3M 5200 - hope to get another 17 years on this repair - boat bone dry now. Most water comes on from dripping skiers.

My rub rail was loose in a bunch of places where PO rub something a bit to hard.., not a big job at all. I started on a rainy Saturday night - finished up Sunday morning... but I did mine in the off season.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-26-2013, 10:41 AM
As I can agree always with cloaked - this project took me 4 hours start to finish. The biggest PITA was removing the loose rivets. I used 3m 5200 to re-seal the hull deck seam and then each rivet got a installed with 3M 5200 - hope to get another 17 years on this repair - boat bone dry now. Most water comes on from dripping skiers.

My rub rail was loose in a bunch of places where PO rub something a bit to hard.., not a big job at all. I started on a rainy Saturday night - finished up Sunday morning... but I did mine in the off season.

That's how it should be done...

Hatch7
09-12-2013, 03:57 PM
That's how it should be done...

Just a follow up on the topic - has the problem been solved? If so, what worked?

bowtie guy
09-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Dunno yet, too much work right now! I'll absolutely pass on the results tho.

bowtie guy
09-14-2013, 10:57 PM
One more weird aspect of this though...the floor at my feet under the helm gets wet also. Wondering if either heater under dash or bilge hose is bringing water in?? Will have to pull kick panel under helm off while underway next time.

FrankSchwab
09-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Man, I tried using that 5200 on my deck joint - what a freakin' mess. It drips and takes a week to set up.

Use the silicone, call it a day.

/frank

mikeg205
09-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Man, I tried using that 5200 on my deck joint - what a freakin' mess. It drips and takes a week to set up.

Use the silicone, call it a day.

/frank

then use the quick cure... call it almost forever when done.. ;) just sayin... http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=201117&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=product_ad&type=pla

jakethebt
09-15-2013, 08:52 AM
One more weird aspect of this though...the floor at my feet under the helm gets wet also. Wondering if either heater under dash or bilge hose is bringing water in?? Will have to pull kick panel under helm off while underway next time.

If your heater was leaking, you would know it. The water coming from the heater is HOT! I know two boats this happened on and it almost burned the drivers feet. I would be surprised if your heater was leaking and getting the drivers floor wet. This would have to be such a small leak the the water would cool before it hit your feet.