PDA

View Full Version : Board too fast

nickespi
08-23-2013, 02:48 PM
I currently have a Ronix thrasher and it is running way too fast. I have to weight about 80/20 just to keep from running up onto the swim platform. It has three fins on it right now. Should I drop down to two fins or maybe even just one to slow it down?

AlbertaSurfer
08-23-2013, 06:01 PM
That's not going to slow it down. Try speeding up the boat a bit. That's also going to firm up your wake and give you a better lip. Does Ronix use FCS or Future fins?

MI_Corey
08-23-2013, 06:27 PM
I wish my boat would throw a big enough wake that I could have that problem instead of the opposite!

Kimper
08-23-2013, 11:27 PM
There is no such thing as a "too fast board". Increase boat speed. Faster makes a longer clean wave in most boats...

Grant777
08-24-2013, 02:44 AM
You need to watch more surf videos. If you ride a surf board in a straight line (on a natural wave) you will outrun the wave. That's why we turn hard back towards the steep section and then snap the board straight again. Also more fin will slow the board down not speed it up. The board may also be too big for you which could explain your weight distribution. You need something shorter and less wide especially at the tail of the board.

Grant777
08-24-2013, 02:51 AM
Double post

jgraham37128
08-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Yea, you can never have a board that's too fast. Do a 360 and see if you can catch back up to the boat!

It's probably just a new board. I moved from a grindwater to a Ronix Koal this year and I was just like you, it was sooooo much faster than my old board to the point that I bought another board, but now that I have gotten used to it and I would now move up to a faster board if I could!

scott023
08-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Like others have said, no such thing as "too fast" when it comes to a surf board. Speed the boat up. Simple fix.

nickespi
08-24-2013, 09:33 AM
I'll try increasing the speed. I learned to surf on an Alias TT skim style board that required a ton of front weight so that might be the issue. As for doing a spin, I just can't get this board to spin. Less fins equal easier spins?

nickespi
08-24-2013, 09:37 AM
More fins do make a board "faster"

"Reducing that lateral side slip would help the board go forward, increasing drive. It's that increase in drag laterally that provides a function of control for the rider, but also inhibits certain things - like spinning in place."

Grant777
08-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Nic. You are confusing the issue. Your fundamentals are correct although the increase in drag of the extra fins would outweigh apparent increase 'drive'. I think the fundamentals of a regular surfboard and a board designed to be surfed behind a boat are significantly different.

nickespi
08-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Yeah, that was something I ran across in another boat forum on wakesurfers. I think I'm going to drop one fin anyways, along with increased speed, and see how it goes.

KahunaCraft
09-05-2013, 07:27 AM
More fins can equal faster, but from what ive seen, not what i know, this means 2 pairs on each side (4 total) slightly angled inward.

So yes, faster but they need to be positioned properly by the builder. Take a look at most of the surf style pros, they run with 4 fins in the above configuration I mention.

Three fins - I'm no expert but would think those that build them are and can get similar performance.

Size of the fins helps with speed as well. I bought all three sizes for my inland mucus (it is a 2 finned board, but angled inward) and the board is slower with the smaller fins. It spins easier, but I learned to spin with the medium sized fins because they made all the difference catching up after the spin.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/esuzega4.jpg

Traxx822
09-06-2013, 08:46 AM
More fins do make a board "faster"

"Reducing that lateral side slip would help the board go forward, increasing drive. It's that increase in drag laterally that provides a function of control for the rider, but also inhibits certain things - like spinning in place."

More fins are going to give you more hold and drive. But it will also slow the board down. It will not speed it up. Trust Alberta and I on this one.

If you want to spin, less fin. Those fin are a joke too. Not sure if futures or Fcs will fit. If they will get some and throw those crap fins away.

This is what you get with Ronix. Just so you know. Sell that board and get a Doomswell ;) :D

As for how fast your board feels. Speeding up the boat isn't really your fix. Unless you are going less than 9mph. You just need to put your back foot all the way back.

My board is so fast my back leg burns from standing on the brakes all day. Some boards are fast. You should run somewhere between 10-11 mph.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Kimper
09-07-2013, 12:46 PM
As for how fast your board feels. Speeding up the boat isn't really your fix. Unless you are going less than 9mph. You just need to put your back foot all the way back.

My board is so fast my back leg burns from standing on the brakes all day. Some boards are fast. You should run somewhere between 10-11 mph.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Disagree, you'll have a more enjoyable experience if you adjust the boat speed to match a neutral stance on your board.

scott023
09-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Disagree, you'll have a more enjoyable experience if you adjust the boat speed to match a neutral stance on your board.

That's how you have to do it. Longer rides will result.