PDA

View Full Version : Where to tie in alternator charing leads?

Rossterman
08-23-2013, 01:43 PM
As some of you may have read, i'm in the process of replacing my alternator with a 90 amp unit. I recognize that i'll need to increase the charging wires to accomodate the additional amperage. Had a few questions before i tackle the job later today that hopefully somenone can help me with:

1. I know that most tie the positive lead to the positive lug on the starter, is there a negative lug on the starter that should be used to connect the black wire or another more convienent grounding location?

2. I was planning on leaving the original leads connected up since they may power other circuits. Anybody done this and any problems with this approach?

3. What guage wire do in need to use?

Thanks
Ross

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-23-2013, 02:22 PM
As some of you may have read, i'm in the process of replacing my alternator with a 90 amp unit. I recognize that i'll need to increase the charging wires to accomodate the additional amperage. Had a few questions before i tackle the job later today that hopefully somenone can help me with:

1. I know that most tie the positive lead to the positive lug on the starter, is there a negative lug on the starter that should be used to connect the black wire or another more convienent grounding location?

2. I was planning on leaving the original leads connected up since they may power other circuits. Anybody done this and any problems with this approach?

Thanks
Ross

Wire gauge chart

JimN
08-23-2013, 02:44 PM

Thanks
Ross

The charging lead can be run parallel to the old one, but it may be a bit cleaner to just open the wire loom and see if it can be easily removed- IIRC, it goes to the starter, but some are different. If it goes directly to the plug that connects the engine to the boat harness, clip the ring terminal if the wire is longer than needed and use heat shrink to keep it from shorting. The ground should attach to the block- you'll need to verify that, for your boat.

If you want to be safe, use 4ga for the charging lead and solder/heat shrink the ring terminals. If you have a soldering gun, use that (a soldering iron won't be hot enough) or if you have a propane torch, you can use that, too- just don't crank it to "WELD", to keep from damaging the insulation. I have a little cheap butane torch from Harbor Freight that uses a cigarette lighter and is re-fillable. It was about $7-mine isn't even as good as the one in the link, but it works.

http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-torch-42099.html

You'll probably find that the charging lead dead-ends at the starter, so it can be disconnected at both ends.