PDA

View Full Version : Prestolite w/points or Mallory breakerless distributor for 87 PS?

Shane28037
08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm 3rd owner of an 87 PS 190 w/Indmar 351W.

Boat currently has a clip-down Prestolite distributor which means one of two things:

1. Mastercraft installed an 86 engine in this 87 PS, or

2. Previous owner switched from a screw down Prestolite distributor to a clip-down distributor at some point. I have paperwork documenting that the previous owner installed a "rebuilt" distributor and that he converted to electronic ignition, I just don't know if the original distributor was the screw down type.

I've replaced the electronic module twice now (Pertronix) and I just ordered a new Mallory breakerless distributor from Discount Inboard Marine. I'm going to give the Mallory a shot, but I want to secure a distributor w/points, or just the plate for points/condenser that will work with my Prestolite clip-down distributor.

Thanks,

Shane

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-23-2013, 12:46 PM
I too switched to the mallory distributor, great product and not had one issue.
You could have saved a few bucks and bought from summitracing ~$40 less.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-ylm554cv/overview/

Ebay has NOS prestolite distributors for ~$100, I believe a couple forum members did buy this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230962566104?redirect=mobile

Showing only 1 left.

catamount
08-23-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm 3rd owner of an 87 PS 190 w/Indmar 351W.

Boat currently has a clip-down Prestolite distributor which means one of two things:

1. Mastercraft installed an 86 engine in this 87 PS, or

2. Previous owner switched from a screw down Prestolite distributor to a clip-down distributor at some point. I have paperwork documenting that the previous owner installed a "rebuilt" distributor and that he converted to electronic ignition, I just don't know if the original distributor was the screw down type.

I've replaced the electronic module twice now (Pertronix) and I just ordered a new Mallory breakerless distributor from Discount Inboard Marine. I'm going to give the Mallory a shot, but I want to secure a distributor w/points, or just the plate for points/condenser that will work with my Prestolite clip-down distributor.

Thanks,

Shane

I don't think it means either of those things. Some 1987s had the clip down distributor cap (mine does), some have the screw down.

I bought the eBay NOS Pertronix screw down listed above and I'm going to move my Pertronix module over to it this fall. All I needed to buy for that "conversion" was a new magnetic sleeve for the module which was about $45.

Cloaked
08-23-2013, 08:24 PM
breakerless EI. Conversion kit is OK for me. I've done probably 10 in the old school era boats....

Shane28037
08-24-2013, 06:32 AM
OK, thanks for info and sources. Secured the last NOS Prestolite off eBay and will have it handy if I need it down the road.