PDA

View Full Version : Flexplate vs. power 2000' 205

rocker1
08-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Trying to diagnose a power issue and finally running the engine at home in the driveway I've found the vibration i felt on the lake and some serious noise in drive. A couple phone calls later it sounds like the flexplate is falling apart and grinding. I know what is involved there, but my question is - can that issue affect the power performance out of the hole? Our do i have two issues at once? (I mean besides the issue of just taking it somewhere and saying fix it -$$) Thanks!

mikeg205
08-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Maybe it's the damper plate....

88 PS190
08-21-2013, 10:45 PM
The flex plate aka damper plate is simply a splined center with a disc/triangle shaped plate that bolts to the flywheel.

The two are connected via springs that take the shock.

When they fail the springs break up. But usually not all the springs - and then you get noise - but since the disc turns once and the trans turns once - you don't have any change in power.

Of course when they ALL fail you have no power.

I personally would splint the drive coupling and see how the shaft turns, you might have flex plate noise and a mal-aligned shaft, or a flex plate and worn strut bushings, but when I did my flex plate I did not notice loss/gain of power whatso ever, just reduction in clatter.