PDA

View Full Version : Board Repair

StrmChzr
08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
My 2007 Ronix Vault is looking pretty rough.

Unfortunately, the "skin" (outermost layer of board) on the bottom of board has started peeling off. It's not flaking off, rather, the skin has lost adhesion to bottom side of board. It kind of resembles a banana peel in that it's still intact but has separated from board on one end. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any epoxy or glue recommendations for getting bottom skin to stick to board without making a sloppy mess?

mikeg205
08-21-2013, 03:54 PM
I would contact Ronix... I know it's a 2007 but the adhesive should not fail like that.. flake off I could see from UV if you always left it outside - but come of in strips and sheets I am sure they would like to know...

StrmChzr
08-22-2013, 09:08 PM
I took your advice Mike and sent Ronix an email with same info I posted on this thread. Brian responded promptly and recommended super glue or epoxy to reattach skin to board. He also recommend putting a bead of glue around the edge of board to prevent problem from reoccurring.

I assumed this would be their recommendation but always nice to have solid prompt reply to a customer service issue. Now if I can just prevent gluing my hands to board, I should be ok....

GoneBoatN
08-23-2013, 01:44 AM
From what you describe, I would suspect the amount of area is too much for super glue because it would be too expensive plus the glue would set way too fast while working. So I would suggest you find some epoxy that has a longer curing time. Also you may want to thin the epoxy a little with denatured alcohol to make it easier to work with, i.e. spread. The keyword there was a little. Playing cards are a good (cheap) choice to use as a spreading tool. I always like to coat both objects that are going to be joined, then squeeze out the air and excess epoxy. Tape the edges down so that they will stay until the epoxy cures.

Oh, use some disposable gloves and avoid having to clean your hands with solvents. Maybe next time I'll use my own advice on that one.

Epoxy is strong and will bond really well. The only problem is that for really smooth surfaces it will tend to peel easier. You might want to use some sand paper to score the surfaces before you glue them.

My son had a crappy board that the same thing happened. We just decided to scrap the board.

bturner2
08-23-2013, 07:17 AM
I'm assuming you've had this board for 5 seasons right? I ask because I typically will buy boards that are last year's model or in the case of my current Murray board it was actually new but 2 model years of graphics old and am trying to get a feel for how many seasons of riding it took to get in this state.

Did you do any rail or dock bumping with this board?
Did you abuse it?
Was it stored outside during the winter?

I have Hyperlite boards that I've owned over the years that are 15 years old that still look pretty good with the exception of the bindings. Just wondering why if this is a 3 or 4 season board that's had typical mid west seasonal use with reasonable care is falling apart like this. That is assuming that statement is correct.

I'm also surprised RONIX didn't offer you some kind of discount or trade in on the board after you called them with the issue your having. Based on your experience (if you didn't abuse the board) I think I'll be sticking with my Hyperlite boards going forward and will leave RONIX out of the picture for consideration. There's no way a non abused board with reasonable care should be falling apart after 3 or 4 short seasons IMO.

Traxx822
08-23-2013, 07:38 AM
I took your advice Mike and sent Ronix an email with same info I posted on this thread. Brian responded promptly and recommended super glue or epoxy to reattach skin to board. He also recommend putting a bead of glue around the edge of board to prevent problem from reoccurring.

I assumed this would be their recommendation but always nice to have solid prompt reply to a customer service issue. Now if I can just prevent gluing my hands to board, I should be ok....

Get some 2 part epoxy from Lowe's/Depot and use some wood clamps to hold it until it's dry.

I repaired one of my boards like that after I dropped it on the concrete once and split the edge. You can hardly tell now. Been repaired for a year now and still solid

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mikeg205
08-23-2013, 08:38 AM

Just do as Traxx recommended with the 2-part resin - where those plastics gloves... I hate getting resin on my hands... get some of the cheap mixing buckets and plastic applicators so you can just throw everything out when done.

Still can believe it de-laminated after such a short time.

Topp dawg
08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm assuming you've had this board for 5 seasons right? I ask because I typically will buy boards that are last year's model or in the case of my current Murray board it was actually new but 2 model years of graphics old and am trying to get a feel for how many seasons of riding it took to get in this state.

Did you do any rail or dock bumping with this board?
Did you abuse it?
Was it stored outside during the winter?

I have Hyperlite boards that I've owned over the years that are 15 years old that still look pretty good with the exception of the bindings. Just wondering why if this is a 3 or 4 season board that's had typical mid west seasonal use with reasonable care is falling apart like this. That is assuming that statement is correct.

I'm also surprised RONIX didn't offer you some kind of discount or trade in on the board after you called them with the issue your having. Based on your experience (if you didn't abuse the board) I think I'll be sticking with my Hyperlite boards going forward and will leave RONIX out of the picture for consideration. There's no way a non abused board with reasonable care should be falling apart after 3 or 4 short seasons IMO.

Hyperlite is the same as Ronix. I called them a few months ago with the exact same issue on my Hyperlite board and they said first I need the receipt from where I bought it and the warranty is only for 3 years. I don't have the receipt and the board is 4 years old. It is so bad that I just bought a new board. The plastic peeled off all the edges and about half of it is gone.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-23-2013, 01:03 PM
I used to work for a hyperlite dealer and you wouldn't believe how many boards delaminate like that.

Traxx822
08-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Check out: Humanoid wake, slingshot, sine boards, gator boards (I own a gator legend and f'ing love it)

Steer clear of Ronix, hyperlite, liquid force, O'Brien imho.

Everyone has them. There are way better boards out there.

swatguy
09-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Gator is out of business. They had huge issues. I loved their boards. I still ride the Prospect. Dusted it off this season And i have no clue why I ever swapped to a nee board. Built like a tank. Their business model just went down the crapper with some bickering between family members. I never saw a Gator binding or board with any issues in the 4yrs our shop carried them. Broken lace and a ripped boot, but the rider really ate it on an s bend.

I have owned several Ronix boards with zero issues. Bindings tho they don't seem to last as long as they used too, but daum ate they comfy and fit me great. The technology and materials in both boards and bindings have gotten so light and high end, but stuff just doesn't last like it used too. I stil have an original LF Trip with Ultra Suctions I still hit up every now and then.

Usually you get a core shot or ding before the entire board starts to peel. So keep an eye out. I had a Liquid Force Fish that had the delam. Used epoxy but it lasted 2 mos. maybe the resin will hold better, but if you ask me it's new board time.

VP46
09-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Check out: Humanoid wake, slingshot, sine boards, gator boards (I own a gator legend and f'ing love it)

Steer clear of Ronix, hyperlite, liquid force, O'Brien imho.

Everyone has them. There are way better boards out there.

Thanks for posting those recommendations - what would look at in terms of bindings if you had common size 12 but Stoopid wide feet?? I have tried 4 different bindings and all make my feet go number than blue balls soaked in Novocain (sounds wired but I swear it feels just like that).

Traxx822
09-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks for posting those recommendations - what would look at in terms of bindings if you had common size 12 but Stoopid wide feet?? I have tried 4 different bindings and all make my feet go number than blue balls soaked in Novocain (sounds wired but I swear it feels just like that).

I'm in love with Humanoids new Odyssey binding. It is literally the best binding out there for your buck.

http://humanoidwake.com/blog/products/?product=4352

Traxx822
09-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Gator is out of business. They had huge issues. I loved their boards. I still ride the Prospect. Dusted it off this season And i have no clue why I ever swapped to a nee board. Built like a tank. Their business model just went down the crapper with some bickering between family members. I never saw a Gator binding or board with any issues in the 4yrs our shop carried them. Broken lace and a ripped boot, but the rider really ate it on an s bend.

I have owned several Ronix boards with zero issues. Bindings tho they don't seem to last as long as they used too, but daum ate they comfy and fit me great. The technology and materials in both boards and bindings have gotten so light and high end, but stuff just doesn't last like it used too. I stil have an original LF Trip with Ultra Suctions I still hit up every now and then.

Usually you get a core shot or ding before the entire board starts to peel. So keep an eye out. I had a Liquid Force Fish that had the delam. Used epoxy but it lasted 2 mos. maybe the resin will hold better, but if you ask me it's new board time.

I had done some research at the end of last year on Gator Boards when the 2012 models never showed and zero announcements were made. I mean he won the Wakeboard legends award and was my favorite rider.

There is still a ton of old stock out there and it is super cheap. I want to buy one just to have a back up ;)

Love love love my Gator Legend 136 with the legend bindings.

@VP46 My buddy just bought a humanoid oracle with Odyssey bindings and they arte super super comfy, they will flex almost as much as your ankle will allow without losing the support you need. No more numb feeling

swatguy
09-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Yea it wasn't something they planned just the way it a worked out for Gator. I for one loved their stuff. Graphics wise not always the most appealing, but hot daum they rode awesome. That's actually when I swapped to the Mana. It was similar to the Prospect under my feet anyways and my dealer went Ronix instead of Gator due to the end of their line. I have never ridden a Humanoid board. I just am skeptical of always buying without riding.

Tristar Racing
09-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Humanoid definitely has some good stuff, and you get to avoid having the same gear everyone else does. I have worked with them on a few projects for engineering and can say they are a great group of guys. The original Oracle was an unforgiving painful ride, 2011 on is a great all around board. Swat, if you ever want to ride my Oracle, let me know.