PDA

View Full Version : 81 stars and stripes

cruiser
08-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Planning on taking out the gas tank this fall to clean and replace any bad componets. Fittings, hose, filters. ANY tricks or things to watch out for? Sometimes it is good to know before you start taking things apart.

Cloaked
08-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Planning on taking out the gas tank this fall to clean and replace any bad componets. Fittings, hose, filters. ANY tricks or things to watch out for? Sometimes it is good to know before you start taking things apart.
Personally, (after many episodes) I would order a new filler hose going to the tank. Cut the old one off and save yourself a lot of headache trying to get the old hose off (to be reused).

A new fuel level sending unit may be in order (but I am a firm believer that if it isn't broken, don't fix it). New fuel hose while its out (ethanol-proof :D) and a new vent hose. I'd also move the ground wire (for the sending unit) from the fuel filler neck to another location (anywhere upstream of the fuel cell to get a ground).

No filters back there other than the screen on the fuel pickup (in tank) but a new screen will come with a new sending unit (or the last one of mine in an 85 model did).

I'd also capture any and all information on the fuel cell sticker for any future use. Picture or a written document.

Also grease the rudder zerk if there is one on your rudder housing. Check the exhaust hose clamps for tightness to the exhaust ports.

Look and see where your platform bracket connections line up on the 81 model on the inside (if you need to replace the bracket attachments). Some are above the floor line (inside) and others are below to where you will have to cut the floor out to get to the area for repair. Just good to know for future reference.

Replace the larger bilge ventilation hoses if necessary. Easy and cheap.

Is your 81 model still an aluminum cell?