PDA

View Full Version : Blue Smoke on Start

stuartmcnair
08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
OK, I recently had to put a new carb on my boat and ever since I did that the boat will smoke after I start it. This only happens after it has been sitting a while. Once we start going or on restarts throughout the day it does not smoke.

I know the new carb should have nothing to do with that but that is when it started happening.

Very frustrating.

Any ideas from the engine gurus?

76S&S
08-20-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm no engine guru, but I believe blue usually means oil.

And from what I've been told, blue on startup tends to be worn valve guides.

cruiser
08-20-2013, 06:57 PM
the longer the engine sits, the more oil can drip into the cylinders. Blue smoke is oil.

JimN
08-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Valve seals aren't a terribly difficult job, but re-installing the rocker arms does require doing it correctly.

Most valve spring compressor tools suck and compress only one at a time. If you can find one that compresses both, use that. Get a manual so you have the instructions WRT how to tighten the nuts that hold the rocker arms. You'll need a compressor and an air hose that threads into a spark plug hole, to keep the valves from dropping into the cylinders.

stuartmcnair
08-21-2013, 11:57 AM
OK, so I understand that blue smoke is oil. Jim was nice enough to tell me how to handle it but now I need to know the answer to the real question. How much is this going to cost to fix with someone else doing it? I do not do engines...

JimN
08-21-2013, 09:24 PM
OK, so I understand that blue smoke is oil. Jim was nice enough to tell me how to handle it but now I need to know the answer to the real question. How much is this going to cost to fix with someone else doing it? I do not do engines...

I would call around- this can be done by anyone who services engines in cars, trucks, boats, etc. If you have a trusted mechanic for your cars, ask them. IIRC, it took a couple of hours for us to do the valve seals on my pickup and that had more accessories to remove for access. On a boat, if the valve covers come off without removing the exhaust manifolds, it would be a lot faster- removing the manifolds would speed it up considerably since removing the spark plugs can be a PITA and they may need to come off to allow removing the valve covers, anyway.

stuartmcnair
08-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Thank you sir!