PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Rev counter - 2000 Xstar

ac505
08-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Hi all, hoping I can gain a little advice. The rev counter/tachometer on my 2000 Xstar is pretty much pegged out beyond 6000 rpm. When the engine is running it dances around a little, but still off the scale. When the engine is off, the needle still sits off the scale beyond 6000rpm. I have perfect pass so can read the RPM from there (same pickup but upstream of the MDC) but aesthetically, I like to see the gauges all work. Is this a common issue, and if so am I better off trying replacing the tachometer first (although I guess I will loose the hr reading) or is it likely the MDC? BTW, all other gauges work fine apart from one speedo which was also "frozen"

Many thanks.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Hi all, hoping I can gain a little advice. The rev counter/tachometer on my 2000 Xstar is pretty much pegged out beyond 6000 rpm. When the engine is running it dances around a little, but still off the scale. When the engine is off, the needle still sits off the scale beyond 6000rpm. I have perfect pass so can read the RPM from there (same pickup but upstream of the MDC) but aesthetically, I like to see the gauges all work. Is this a common issue, and if so am I better off trying replacing the tachometer first (although I guess I will loose the hr reading) or is it likely the MDC? BTW, all other gauges work fine apart from one speedo which was also "frozen"

Many thanks.

If your tachometer is "frozen" in the same position key on and key off, I would suspect the tachometer has failed and needs replacing.

ac505
08-23-2013, 08:30 AM
The tacho certainly has life in it as the needle does move/vibrate a bit. Many tachos will freeze in place when the ignition is off so I am not confident it is the culprit

One speedo doesn't work (could be a blocked pitot, MDC or bad gauge). I should really swap the speedo over to determine what the problem is there. It would then be logical that if the speedo starts to read on the other line then the problem may be with the MDC.