PDA

View Full Version : Dogs on boat

kgrove
08-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Looking for experience with dogs on a boat.... Any problems with their feet damaging the vinyl? Any other considerations before I allow the family dog out on the water with us?

lukedeuce
08-19-2013, 01:38 PM
I have had our two boxers on the boat with no issues. Someone once posted some dog nail protectors that were made more for hardwood floors, but would still work for the vinyl. Someone will come along with the website soon....

TxsRiverRat
08-19-2013, 01:39 PM
no dog will ever go on my boat ever

VP46
08-19-2013, 01:43 PM

No dog on my boat, no dog hair on my boat.....

CruisinGA
08-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Neighbor brought his black lab on the boat without asking... What a mess

Our dog is small and does not shed. Comes along for cruises

Turnandburn
08-19-2013, 01:47 PM
I have repaired every nick and scratch on my show room condition 2006 PS197 and before I procured a lab last year the carpet was immaculate; however, I love having my dog, hair and toenails be damned, on my boat. No punctures to the vinyl yet. She scratches the teak platform somewhat but it sands out nicely. I try to keep her toenails trimmed. I just got a Dremmel for that purpose. The hair shedding is a pain, but it's just hair. She loves watching me ski from the observer's seat. I suggest a Ruffwear life jacket. Check out my recent post on Mans Best Friend thread for a photo of her jumping off my boat. Go for it!

fletch_n_me
08-19-2013, 02:00 PM
VP46 - are you an Orion guy? My brother flew P-3s with '46 out of Moffatt for years till they shipped him to Pax River.

Anyway, my German Shepherd had better boating manners than any other member of the family - he used to go lay on the back seat even when the boat was tied to the dock. Now I have 2 dachshunds that love riding in the boat. The way I look at it, they are members of the family and we love having them with us. They make much less of a mess than small kids...

Traxx822
08-19-2013, 02:26 PM
I love to take my dog for a cruise. Only after she is fresh from the groomer and it's early enough she won't overheat. Siberian Husky.

I have all new interior so I was nervous at first, but no punctures yet.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

scott023
08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
No dog on my boat, no dog hair on my boat.....

Took our boxer out once. That was the last time. :D

Traxx822
08-19-2013, 02:52 PM

A boxer I would understand. They can get a bit bouncy lol.

Have lots of friends with boxers and they are a bundle of happy dog.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

lukedeuce
08-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Just one? Try two on a stars & stripes! It's not an everyday occurrence, just when the fiancÚ and I are by ourselves.

sp00ky
08-19-2013, 03:00 PM
VP46 - are you an Orion guy? My brother flew P-3s with '46 out of Moffatt for years till they shipped him to Pax River.

Anyway, my German Shepherd had better boating manners than any other member of the family - he used to go lay on the back seat even when the boat was tied to the dock. Now I have 2 dachshunds that love riding in the boat. The way I look at it, they are members of the family and we love having them with us. They make much less of a mess than small kids...

heck yeah my dog doesn't drop goldfish or pringles or hide a wet towel for me to find later.

scott023
08-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Just one? Try two on a stars & stripes! It's not an everyday occurrence, just when the fiancÚ and I are by ourselves.

That would be a mess. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. ;)

TayMC197
08-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Love having my dog.. Nails don't bother anything if trimmed. Hair has to be vacuumed out but I vacuum and clean it after each use already. So all in all it doesn't really affect more or take more time to clean. I love having her with me.

JohnE
08-19-2013, 03:20 PM
In the past I've had my lab mix and later the beagle out on the boat. Both were a pain in the *** and I wouldn't do it again.

jk13
08-19-2013, 04:20 PM
The dog is always welcome out with us. Part of the reason we got a dog. And a boat.

2RLAKE
08-19-2013, 04:21 PM
I love my dog ... But she stays on the dock

agarabaghi
08-19-2013, 04:30 PM
uhm... who cares about the seats my dog is worth way more!

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/2954/uxa0.jpg

chriscraftmatt1976
08-19-2013, 04:44 PM
uhm... who cares about the seats

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/2954/uxa0.jpg

I'm seeing that!!! Lol, Jk. I love my dogs too, but they are relegated to the pontoon and rowboat. They just tear it up more than I'm willing to deal with. A ride or two a year I can stomach, but not every weekend.

TayMC197
08-19-2013, 04:59 PM
My dog has done far less damage than the average person does.

ahhudgins
08-19-2013, 05:43 PM
My dog has done far less damage than the average person does.

100% agree with you. I've raised 2 kids and we are on our second dog. The dogs shed but I keep a carvac in the boat. Neither dog has caused any damage to my boat(s) but I can't say the same for the kids and their friends.

I recall a previous post I made, and now that I think about it, our first dog had an "accident" but she held it the entire boat trip and let it go on the dock.

See below::mad:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48021&highlight=brown

jk13
08-19-2013, 05:59 PM
I remember reading that. Yeesh.

Our dog was getting a bit restless at the sand bar the other day. On the boat, off the boat, searching for something but I couldn't figure out what. Then it hit me--there's no solid ground for him to "go" on because the sandbar is 6-8" under and there is a 6' deep hole between us and shore.

Made my son put the dog's leash on and swim him to shore where he immediately found a spot in the woods and took care of it. He came back much more relaxed. Much better than your scenario.

Redstorm
08-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Neighbor brought his black lab on the boat without asking... What a mess

Our dog is small and does not shed. Comes along for cruises

Sorry but that's just not cool! It's flat out rude and deserves a punch right in the face.....just kiddn'. But does need to be slapped around a bit...naaaah. Just kiddn' again. Still flat out rude no matter how u dice it!! Would never invite again!!

03 35th Anniversary
08-19-2013, 06:27 PM

No Dogs On The Boat............. I think he is giving you the evil eye...

chriscraftmatt1976
08-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Lmao...

sp00ky
08-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Looking for experience with dogs on a boat.... Any problems with their feet damaging the vinyl? Any other considerations before I allow the family dog out on the water with us?

If hes not trained and well behaved forget it. But otherwise they are a joy and all of the sensory overload wears em out.

Also most dogs neef to be taught or coaxed to swim even water dogs. Dont expect them to jump off the dock right away.

John Johnson
08-19-2013, 10:33 PM
If I could have my 14 y/o golden back (few weeks ago), I'd let her on mine, though my vinyl has seen better days. Interior's in good shape, but it's simply a matter of perspective.

FrankSchwab
08-20-2013, 01:03 AM
My vinyl isn't in good enough shape to care about, so our Portuguese Water Dog goes with us a couple of times a year. It's a blast watching her launch over the side off the sun pad going after a kid that just dove in.

Just don't underestimate the amount of water that two 12 year olds and a dog can bring into the boat when they're climbing onto the boat, jumping in the water, climbing onto the boat, etc.

/frank

Specter
08-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Our 21lb Boston Terrier loves to hit the lake. She never stops jumping, moving, etc. while on the boat and we've never had any issues with the interior...other than dog hair.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5527/9552652513_c665fbb4e3_b.jpg

TRBenj
08-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Ive seen this question come up a number of times and always chuckle at responses- they always cover the full spectrum!

While there are certainly some people that could care less about damaging their interior, I think theyre in the minority on forums like this. For the rest of us who like to keep our boats in nice shape, I think it comes down to the individual dog. Would I let just any dog on my boat? Heck no. My buddy Tique though? Anytime. The hair comes up with a shop vac.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Good pic benj. Boat looks like a beauty too!

BrooksfamX2
08-20-2013, 10:13 AM
We have a 9lb poodle that loves to go boating. No issues with toe nails or hair as poodles don't shed........... no other dogs allowed on the boat though..........:rolleyes:

QBhater
08-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Did someone say "Boat Ride" Buddy Boy loves going on the boat. Once on he watches the skier then falls a sleep at my feet. He fit better when he was a pup!!

bjen
08-20-2013, 04:28 PM
We bring these guys on occasion but its a pain, they never settle down and don't like going in the lake.
I worried about their nails on the seats but its been a non-issue so far.

deminimis
08-20-2013, 04:44 PM
We don't allow dogs on the boat, well, that was the original plan anyway.

This was shot after he found a dead catfish and rolled all over it of course. Almost made him swim home.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/288273_3523864652251_188506159_o.jpg

fletch_n_me
08-20-2013, 04:51 PM
If I could have my 14 y/o golden back (few weeks ago), I'd let her on mine, though my vinyl has seen better days. Interior's in good shape, but it's simply a matter of perspective.

So sorry for your loss - I lost my Shepherd 4 years ago and still can't think about him for 10 seconds without tearing up...

They love boat rides - and boats are just things in the end.

TayMC197
08-20-2013, 05:32 PM
My dog was basically raised in the boat. I love having her. I don't always take her but she goes most of the time.

She was 7 weeks old the first time I her out and she just turned 7 months the other day.

deminimis
08-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Better get some sun screen on that beast, she's getting sun spots all over her.

Specter
08-21-2013, 02:11 PM
That's not a dog, that's a pony.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-21-2013, 02:14 PM
That's not a dog, that's a pony.

Lol. My buddy and his wife have a Marmaduke dog. Good demeanor, but too big for my taste, and I have a pretty big dog too!

johnstonrm
08-21-2013, 02:45 PM
On our third boxer and to date haven't taken any out for a ride. Boxers don't do well in water and biggest fear is him being goofy, which they are the best at, and going overboard. You need to first know how your dog is in water, otherwise I have no problem 'em aboard.

BrooksfamX2
08-21-2013, 03:08 PM
On our third boxer and to date haven't taken any out for a ride. Boxers don't do well in water and biggest fear is him being goofy, which they are the best at, and going overboard. You need to first know how your dog is in water, otherwise I have no problem 'em aboard.

Our dog (9lb poodle) wears a life jacket while underway.......Lost him off the back of the boat once during a hole shot. Glad the jacket was on and I saw it happen, otherwise I could have been miles down the lake before I noticed he was missing............:(

lukedeuce
08-21-2013, 03:37 PM

Most boxers don't do we'll in water, that's for sure. But Our male thinks he's a lab and will retrieve anything we throw in the water. Our female could care less about the water and just likes to sit around getting attention. Boxers have practically 0% body fat and will sink if you aren't careful or don't have a life jacket on.

340rvfan
08-21-2013, 06:23 PM
love having my dog on the boat with us. we lost our 12 year old yellow lab last year and had to get a new dog before boating season. couldn't be more happy with the new puppy,just have to make sure she gets bathroom breaks

Fletchx7
08-22-2013, 08:39 AM
We used to take our old golden every time. He loved the boat. He would even sneak down to the dock, climb in on his and take a nap. Our new golden isn't allowed onboard. He goes ape**** and freaks out. Only retriever I know that doesn't even like to swim :confused:

Here's a pic of Oakley's last boat ride....in his favorite spot. We lost him to cancer that winter.

johnstonrm
08-22-2013, 08:13 PM
What a beautiful Golden he was. No question at all he owned that spot! They never really leave us do they. If I could get my boxer to sit like that no question he'd be out with us.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-24-2013, 04:05 PM
After reading all these comments I took my dogs, normally relegated to the pontoon and rowboat, out on the sns today. They thank you all. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/25/e2yjeqat.jpg