PDA

View Full Version : Offbrand ATVs

6ballsisall
10-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Does anyone have experience or knowledge about some of the offbrand/noname ATV's available now? It seems I can buy a new ATV for my use (couple hundred miles a year) for about 1/2 to a 1/3 the price of a new name brand ATV. I gather they aren't as fancy as a name brand one like a Yamaha etc.... but for that much savings if they run and get me from point a to b..........

milkmania
10-16-2005, 09:56 PM
cough * jap * cough

Hoosier Bob
10-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Go used and go Honda! Go to Indiana Auto Rv magazine online and keep a look out. Most older Honda's still use the same engines from years gone by. I have motorcycles but I would assume the same. I own a 2003 XR400 but not changed much since the first model. I also have an older KTM 300 MXC that is very reliable. Honda 300 EX's are bullet proof and can be highly accesserized. If you need me to look around I am always on the road.
See yah! :D
QUOTE=jrandol]Does anyone have experience or knowledge about some of the offbrand/noname ATV's available now? It seems I can buy a new ATV for my use (couple hundred miles a year) for about 1/2 to a 1/3 the price of a new name brand ATV. I gather they aren't as fancy as a name brand one like a Yamaha etc.... but for that much savings if they run and get me from point a to b..........[/QUOTE]

Leroy
10-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Where are you looking? Many of the "brand" names are actually made by the knock off companies now. IN the end no difference other than name. However Bob's comment on Honda is true, they are golden!

6ballsisall
10-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Where are you looking? Many of the "brand" names are actually made by the knock off companies now. IN the end no difference other than name. However Bob's comment on Honda is true, they are golden!

Here is one site

www.xxmotorsports.com

Supposedly these companies do as you say and manufacture other makes as well. There are about three brands I have found that make ATV's

LakePirate
10-16-2005, 11:10 PM
I have a 90 or so honda that has been to the end of the world and back and still runs like a champ. It could use some new fenders and it is much safer now that the brakes work again, but as far as the engine goes, it is bullet proof, no doubt.

Leroy
10-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Wow! List price $2995 for a T-rex?

Hoosier Bob
10-16-2005, 11:33 PM
What's next Jeff, a Korean made MasterCraft in your garage? You should be able to find a very solid used Honda 300 EX for around $3,000. Find one that is still stock and ride it for a couple hundred years or so. In my garage there is a 2003 XR 400, 2002 XR 100, 1995 XR 80, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer and a 1990 Honda Spree scooter with 5,000 miles. All run and ride like dreams. Those are the Hondas anyway! MasterCraft and KTM complete the motorized toy list. :D What do you want to use the four wheeler for?

Leroy
10-16-2005, 11:40 PM
We had a Honda moped in Europe to run around town and for the kids, great fun! Always ran great!

ski_king
10-17-2005, 07:00 AM
I aw some of those at a tool outlet sale. Made in China and looked cheaply made. I bet replacement parts are hard to find.

6ballsisall
10-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Jeez HB!! :eek:

Actually the offbrand is Chinese, not japanese :D

All kidding aside I like to support american made but I don't even think there are any ATV's made by american companies.

My intended use would be an annual deer hunt and maybe some occasional free riding. If I can get the wife interested in the sport maybe in a few years when Hailey is old enough (3 or 4) I'll buy the daughter one of those little 50's and buy the wife a ATV and we can ride as a family

peason
10-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Polaris, Artic Cat - are both made in the USA! From what I am told Polaris makes a very good ATV.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-US/Atv/

http://www.arcticcat.com/

6ballsisall
10-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Polaris, Artic Cat - are both made in the USA! From what I am told Polaris makes a very good ATV.

I thought those were Canadian? I had a Polaris 250 a few years back that I bought for $400. It was ugly as sin but ran like a champ. With chains on (it was 4x2) I ran it really hard for a week Elk hunting at 12k-14k feet in 2-3' snow. It did a great job and for only being 250cc (it was 2 stroke) it ran like a bat outta he%%

peason
10-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Polaris has a plant in Roseau, Minnesota - the whole town chipped in a couple of years ago to protect the plant from a flood - I think the whole town works at the plant. Made some headlines around here. They are headquartered near the Twin Cities. They have a lot of thier products on display at the Excel Centre - stadium where the Minnesota Wild (Hockey Team) plays in St. Paul which is very impressive.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&1ahXX=&address=&city=roseau&state=MN&zipcode=

edwin
10-17-2005, 02:25 PM
jrandol - read the last line of you huge signature...listen to your own advice

Workin' 4 Toys
10-17-2005, 02:38 PM
jrandol - read the last line of you huge signature...listen to your own advice
Nicely put..... Arctic Cat has some awesome machines. Just had an open house at a dealer here giving test drives. They are awesome.

milkmania
10-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Jeez HB!! :eek:

Actually the offbrand is Chinese, not japanese :D

jeff, jeff, jeff................

look what the chinese did!
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5661

read the first sentence, from the link's page

captkidd
10-17-2005, 03:30 PM
I aw some of those at a tool outlet sale. Made in China and looked cheaply made. I bet replacement parts are hard to find.
I was thinking the same thing. It's hard enough to get parts for some of the big brand, so it's got to be a bear to find parts for the Chinese knock-offs. I saw some this past weekend, and many looked almost exactly like their Japanese counterparts, but I wouldn't buy one.

My brother has a Polaris Sportsman 600 4x4 ATV that runs like a scared dog. It has IRS and is an automatic, which I thought I would never like until I rode his. Now I don't know why you'd want to change gears on an ATV.

milkmania
10-17-2005, 03:35 PM
I was thinking the same thing. It's hard enough to get parts for some of the big brand, so it's got to be a bear to find parts for the Chinese knock-offs. I saw some this past weekend, and many looked almost exactly like their Japanese counterparts, but I wouldn't buy one.
that was the very first thing I asked this guy that worked at one of those dealerships....
"do you service your own vehicles?"....
his reply "yes",
my response, "so, where do I go if you close up shop?",
his response, "we don't like to think about that"

My brother has a Polaris Sportsman 600 4x4 ATV that runs like a scared dog. It has IRS and is an automatic, which I thought I would never like until I rode his. Now I don't know why you'd want to change gears on an ATV.

with a lot of nerve damage to my left leg, I have a lot of difficulty lifting my left foot, so I really like the automatics.

lakes Rick
10-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Nicely put..... Arctic Cat has some awesome machines. Just had an open house at a dealer here giving test drives. They are awesome.

Sorry, rebadged Suzuki's..... More Jap stuff....

AND the sport polaris model has a Jap motor in it.....

jpattigr
10-17-2005, 11:37 PM
I own 3 quads, two adult Polaris machines and a kids Suzuki

Artic Cat has been using Suzuki motors but build the chassis and rest of machine and new this year the 650 H1 is 100% Arctic Cat and made USA

Polaris is the same all chassis is built by Polaris with Fuji motors in all machines under 500cc, the 600 and up machines are Polaris built.

The Polaris 200 cc machines and down are China built total just polaris stickers!

I have a 500cc and 700cc Polaris and love them both, Suz Kids machine is the best kids quad on the market

jimmer2880
10-18-2005, 06:04 AM
This is a great thread. I'm trying to convice my wife into letting me buy a used no-name 50cc (they can be had for $650.00) for our daughter. She won't turn 3 until March. But - I'm thinking she'll be able to be on a tether next summer if I really work with her in the spring.

Any thoughts on how young you can start them on a tether?

BriEOD
10-18-2005, 06:57 AM
I have only had Hondas. I'm down to one at the moment: 2004 Honda Rancher. I'd stay away from the commie knock offs but that is just me.

milkmania
10-18-2005, 09:12 AM
This is a great thread. I'm trying to convice my wife into letting me buy a used no-name 50cc (they can be had for $650.00) for our daughter. She won't turn 3 until March. But - I'm thinking she'll be able to be on a tether next summer if I really work with her in the spring.

Any thoughts on how young you can start them on a tether?

I saw some the other day....remote start & kill switch....looked just like a keyless door lock control for a vehicle

plus the tether & governor

SteveO
10-18-2005, 09:14 AM
We had a Honda moped in Europe to run around town and for the kids, great fun! Always ran great!
You know what they say about mopeds. They are like fat chicks. Both fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to see you on either.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Sorry, rebadged Suzuki's..... More Jap stuff....

AND the sport polaris model has a Jap motor in it.....

Are you 100% sure on this???

Workin' 4 Toys
10-18-2005, 09:32 AM
I saw some the other day....remote start & kill switch....looked just like a keyless door lock control for a vehicle

plus the tether & governor
I have heard of these. Looking for one myself for my soon to be 3 daughter and her new snowmobile, so I can shut it down if she gets carried away. I asked the Arctic Cat dealer about them, and they were willing to sell me one for $100.00. Its worth it for what it does, but I would imagine someone has one for half that, and they are probably exactly the same thing. And it needs to have a long range, or perhaps something that shuts it down automaticaly if it isn't within that range.

erkoehler
10-18-2005, 09:54 AM
JR,

What about just trying to get a new 2002 or 2003 model? If it is anything like the snowmobiles, all the dealers have left over models right now. I know of one polaris/ski-doo dealer that has new 1999 and 2000 snowmobiles. It is nuts what you can find if you look hard enough :D

Scot
10-18-2005, 11:16 AM
RE: non- mainstream ATV's - I would not put my kid on one nor would I ride one. How much safety R&D was put into those? None I'm sure. What level of quality is built into the peices that hold it together? Honda, Yam, SUZ, etc. have been down the law suit road to safety. They will not break unless you REALLY push them beyond their intended use or don't keep them maintained properly.

Picture this, your wife, kid, or friend of your kid is running it full throttle, which they will do, they hit a bump and the suspension fails due to poor quality forging of the control arms, hubs, etc...

Ouch!

There's plenty of good used stuff out there.... You just have to read your local want adds EVERY morning and jump on the good deals...

I've had a 95 Yam Warrior for 10 years now and it remains rock solid......

Love my Hondas too..... 1998 CR 250 and 2000 CR 125..... Both of which are for sale...

captkidd
10-18-2005, 01:40 PM
You know what they say about mopeds. They are like fat chicks. Both fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to see you on either.
Around here, anytime we see an adult riding a moped or scooter we automatically assume: DUI

Actually some of the nicer scooters look pretty cool, and I'm sure they'd be great in the city, but I live in a rural area, so they're not too practical as transportation.

I saw a Chinese knock-off of one of these the other day. Really irritated me since I had the genuine Honda CT70 when I was a kid.

lakes Rick
10-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Are you 100% sure on this???

Yep, Maybe not all models ( as said in above post) but the arctic cat 400? is a knock off of my Suzuki Z400, with different plastic..

Polaris predator has a Fuji? engine on it..

I ride the Oregon dunes so we have always purchased the more performance oriented machines.. Not sure on the working class quads

Zach S
10-18-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm not really sure of the exact percentage, but I think Suzuki owns around 40% of Arctic Cat. That is the reason you see Suzuki engines in Arctic Cat products.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Lakes rick, and Zach, these pieces of info seem like Internet search junk. I don't believe either one (could be somewhat correct). If I get ambitious I'll research it with the "POWERS" that be.

jpattigr
10-19-2005, 01:34 AM
As for old Quads at dealers, not going to happen.

Sales of sleds are 1/2 of what they were in 1998 worldwide and Quads sales are up about 400%. Quads outsell motorbikes in the USA last year.

Stick to the names that we all know and trust. I would buy a 10 year old Suzuki kid quad over a new knock off!! And the plus is that when you are done with it in 10 years you will sell it for the same price or more that you paid!! :eek:

Zach S
10-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Lakes rick, and Zach, these pieces of info seem like Internet search junk. I don't believe either one (could be somewhat correct). If I get ambitious I'll research it with the "POWERS" that be.

Workin' I appreciate your doubt. I was a little off with my estimate. Suzuki is about a 33% share holder of Arctic Cat. Check out this link. It is right off of Arctic Cats website.
http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/97/979/97941/items/157575/ArcticCat_10K_2005.pdf

Check out the top of page 7.
"The Company and Suzuki have enjoyed an excellent relationship
since the Company’s inception. Suzuki purchased approximately 31%
of the Company’s then outstanding capital stock in July 1988, prior to
the Company’s initial public offering in July of 1990, and is currently
the Company’s largest shareholder with approximately 33% of the
Company’s outstanding capital stock."

jpattigr
10-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Lakes is correct You can buy the same 400 sport quad from Arctic cat, Kawi and the orginal Suzuki. Only the color of the plastic and stickers change.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Well, I can say this, if it works, and works real good, why change. I think they used to use Kawi. John Deere still uses Kawi. Same thing, if it works, and works good why change.
It would be nice to see the hyabusa engine in a quad if they haven't done so already.
I wonder though, why can they get away with everything saying MADE IN USA all over everything.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-19-2005, 03:53 PM
I think the dealer quoted someone 3800.00 on a '06 AC 400. But the '06 500 was like 5800.00 I wonder.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have experience or knowledge about some of the offbrand/noname ATV's available now? It seems I can buy a new ATV for my use (couple hundred miles a year) for about 1/2 to a 1/3 the price of a new name brand ATV. I gather they aren't as fancy as a name brand one like a Yamaha etc.... but for that much savings if they run and get me from point a to b..........
What did you end up doing here JR?

6ballsisall
11-04-2005, 02:26 PM
What did you end up doing here JR?

Still haven't decided or got serious about buying yet. I did ride an offbrand ATV this weekend, a guy who works for me bought one out of Terre Haute, IN. I have to say I was pretty impressed. It's no top of the line ride but he paid $1200 for it brand new. It was an auto and was a 260cc. It ran very well IMO. As you can tell by this post I am probably leaning towards a low dollar ride. I anticipate I wouldn't put more than a 200 miles a year on one at most so to drop 4-6k on another brand doesn't seem to make sense for my application.

We'll see!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 02:32 PM
I asked because I am going shopping for one this weekend for someone. I think he is going to spend alot more than 1200. It has to be 4X4, has to have a winch, and maybe a plow setup. We would like to be able to tow the boat up a ramp too, so it needs some weight in the front end. It may never see the boat, but would be nice....

I am going to the Arctic Cat dealer, and Polaris Dealer first, so we can see what we are up against to give us a comparison.
We may end up at a John Deere dealership, they are in the quad bus. now.

Zach S
11-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Workin' The John Deere machines are made by BRP. They are the same as the Outlanders. Polaris makes a great machine as well. I have spent a little time on a Sportman 500HO and loved it.

erkoehler
11-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I asked because I am going shopping for one this weekend for someone. I think he is going to spend alot more than 1200. It has to be 4X4, has to have a winch, and maybe a plow setup. We would like to be able to tow the boat up a ramp too, so it needs some weight in the front end. It may never see the boat, but would be nice....

I am going to the Arctic Cat dealer, and Polaris Dealer first, so we can see what we are up against to give us a comparison.
We may end up at a John Deere dealership, they are in the quad bus. now.

There is an Arctic Cat Dealer that is having an open house this weekend in Sugar grove if you are interested. PM me if you want the info!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-04-2005, 10:00 PM
There is an Arctic Cat Dealer that is having an open house this weekend in Sugar grove if you are interested. PM me if you want the info!
I am going to stick with this one. We have some good things happening over there. Besides, this is for someone that lives about a mile from them.
But Thank you anyway.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-06-2005, 08:19 PM
He brought it home. An '06 Arctic Cat 500LE. Man is it awesome. We can't wait to put her to work, fully automatic. I never had the pleasure of driving one without at least a 5 or 6 speed. And Low range. What a workhorse.

One of the other guys picked up his (offbrand) quad friday night. I have not seen it yet. Ill probably meet up with him in the next couple weeks and see it and ride it.

AirJunky
02-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm curious where everyone is on this one. I had a chance to ride a Kawasaki 360 4x4 this weekend.....some trails & on the ice. It was a blast. Pitching it on the ice into a 4 wheel drift for 100 yards or more at 40+ mph was a riot!

But I have an old enduro & kind of like the manual trans. So if I get in the market for a 4x4 quad, do they even make them with a manual? Seemed like there was a few times I could have used the power. I'm considering something like the Honda GPScape or Rubicon.

erkoehler
02-27-2006, 07:54 PM
If your going to be using the ATV for more fun than work, you will prefer the manual transmission, but when the ATV is a work horse, and it is used mainly as such, the auto trans. is nice.

JohnnyB
02-27-2006, 08:31 PM
JRandol,

Let us all know if you buy a knock-off and what you get, or think you've got.

A buddy of mine bought his 16yr old daughter a knock-off moped that looks exactly like the Honda.....she drove it from April through November....no issues.

I'd like to buy an ATV to use as a snow plow....hard to justify the price when I've got a perfectly good 12hp snowblower.

6ballsisall
02-27-2006, 08:36 PM
JRandol,

Let us all know if you buy a knock-off and what you get, or think you've got.

A buddy of mine bought his 16yr old daughter a knock-off moped that looks exactly like the Honda.....she drove it from April through November....no issues.

I'd like to buy an ATV to use as a snow plow....hard to justify the price when I've got a perfectly good 12hp snowblower.

Will do. Still planning on doing this. Tax situation wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be so it might be closer to summer before I make the purchase.
Funny, the accountant says we need a more expensive house so we get more $$ back. He really shouldn't have said that in front of my wife :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
02-27-2006, 09:09 PM
I know someone that ordered an off brand 4 wheeler. (Against our suggestions) but to each their own. He assembled it after it arrived in the crate. First ride out the "trans" stopped functioning. That was about 4 months ago. He hasn't worked on it since. I think he paid (about) $2K if I recall, it was a 300cc or something. Next time I see it Ill get more details and maybe a pic.
He isn't really happy with it, but then again he didn't spend $6K "yet" either.

lakes Rick
02-27-2006, 11:30 PM
I know someone that ordered an off brand 4 wheeler. (Against our suggestions) but to each their own. He assembled it after it arrived in the crate. First ride out the "trans" stopped functioning. That was about 4 months ago. He hasn't worked on it since. I think he paid (about) $2K if I recall, it was a 300cc or something. Next time I see it Ill get more details and maybe a pic.
He isn't really happy with it, but then again he didn't spend $6K "yet" either.

$6K to be riding, $2K to look at it in the garage???? If I wanted something to look at I would buy the LED Fatboy pic at the Harley store for $217.........

Workin' 4 Toys
02-28-2006, 09:52 AM
$6K to be riding, $2K to look at it in the garage???? If I wanted something to look at I would buy the LED Fatboy pic at the Harley store for $217.........
That's what we told him. One of the other guys bought an Arctic Cat about a week before him, he has been having a blast with it. Took it to an off road park to test it out. What a machine. Needless to say, the one with the broken one doesn't know how to get his serviced and is very sorry about the purchase. I will see him in a few weeks and check status of what he went through to get it going again (if it is)

lakes Rick
02-28-2006, 10:10 AM
If the arctic cat is a 400, its a Suzuki Z400 with new plastic.. The Kawasaki is the same also.......

Workin' 4 Toys
02-28-2006, 10:13 AM
If the arctic cat is a 400, its a Suzuki Z400 with new plastic.. The Kawasaki is the same also.......
Its the 500LE, but I'd bet it's a 'zuki engine too. went with the 500 because its liquid cooled.

mitch
03-21-2006, 02:16 PM
What warr. are you seeing offered on these? 1 year? I'm starting to look now, and the knock-off's are tempting.

Will do. Still planning on doing this. Tax situation wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be so it might be closer to summer before I make the purchase.
Funny, the accountant says we need a more expensive house so we get more $$ back. He really shouldn't have said that in front of my wife :rolleyes:

SD190EVO
03-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Out of principal alone I would never buy a China/Korea knockoff. Their culture does not place *any* value on intellectual property. You can go there and buy copies of The Matrix for 50 cents. Know why? Because Keanue or MGM/UA or whomever doesn’t get a dime. (not that I care if Keanue makes any more dimes)

They take products that R&D engineers designed (who make a fair wage both in this country and Japan) and use their micrometers to copy every part exactly. Then they manufacture with sub-par steel and zero quality control. Then they stuff them in a container and send them over here thus imbalancing our trade even more. (the trade will never be even because we actually have to be innovative and design things and they have to be somewhat safe so you dont get sued and you have to pay you liability insurance... etc etc etc)

If you are an engineer you should be insulted that your work can be stolen and reproduced like that. If your a business owner in this country you should get ill that you have to play by the rules and pay your workmans comp but you compete agains these clowns that don't have to. It hurts our workers and our economy.

Boycott that crap if you have a shred of integrity.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Well put SD190EVO. I like your way of thinking.

mitch
03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
How do you really feel? Actually good points

I hear references of falling apart...Are people getting hurt on these or are they just potentially unreliable.

Out of principal alone I would never buy a China/Korea knockoff. Their culture does not place *any* value on intellectual property. You can go there and buy copies of The Matrix for 50 cents. Know why? Because Keanue or MGM/UA or whomever doesn’t get a dime. (not that I care if Keanue makes any more dimes)

They take products that R&D engineers designed (who make a fair wage both in this country and Japan) and use their micrometers to copy every part exactly. Then they manufacture with sub-par steel and zero quality control. Then they stuff them in a container and send them over here thus imbalancing our trade even more. (the trade will never be even because we actually have to be innovative and design things and they have to be somewhat safe so you dont get sued and you have to pay you liability insurance... etc etc etc)

If you are an engineer you should be insulted that your work can be stolen and reproduced like that. If your a business owner in this country you should get ill that you have to play by the rules and pay your workmans comp but you compete agains these clowns that don't have to. It hurts our workers and our economy.

Boycott that crap if you have a shred of integrity.