PDA

View Full Version : New ride

CC2MC
08-18-2013, 03:34 PM
I made it official on Saturday morning. I purchased a 2003 Maristar 210. I was wanting a V-drive for the family for more space and I think that I have found a winner, for now. It is my fourth boat in two years, so needless to say, my wife is ready to hold onto one for a little while. We took it out for a multitude of activities and had a great time. My wife got on the wakeboard and she was a little intimidated by of the size of the wake. She was able to get more pop from it and got much higher than she was used to. She got scared and let go even though she was landing everything. I think this will help all of us, in the long run. We can also join in on the surfing thing that everyone talks about. Once I put the ballast bags in the boat, then the wake will only get that much better.

I do have a random question though. The PO said that he had replaced the sending unit a couple years back. The gas gauge seems to work okay when it is sitting still, but as soon as I get underway, the level goes up, sometimes reading full when it only has 1/4 tank when sitting still. Is this normal due to the fact that the boat rides bow high or is it supposed to be more consistent?

Now that I have the "new" boat, I am working on giving the ole Prostar 205 ready to put on the market. I will post it here when I get her all cleaned up and ready.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s461/DoThadoo/d93e0c8f-0648-4d26-90f1-dfdd035fd227_zpscad2aa47.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/DoThadoo/media/d93e0c8f-0648-4d26-90f1-dfdd035fd227_zpscad2aa47.jpg.html)

jafo9
08-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Congrats. I'm guessing your fuel tank setup is similar to mine. The sending unit is next to the fuel pump cannister at the rear of the tank. When the boat is level, it's reads normally. When underway, the upward attitude of the bow causes the fuel to falsely elevate the fuel level at the sender.

You can probably fit 750lb bags in your rear lockers.

CC2MC
08-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Congrats. I'm guessing your fuel tank setup is similar to mine. The sending unit is next to the fuel pump cannister at the rear of the tank. When the boat is level, it's reads normally. When underway, the upward attitude of the bow causes the fuel to falsely elevate the fuel level at the sender.

You can probably fit 750lb bags in your rear lockers.

Ok, that is what I was thinking but just wanted to be sure as my PS 205 does not have the rise in the bow and reads normally all the time. Plus it's tank is all the way in the rear already and sits taller and narrower than the flat and wide mid/rear mounted fuel tank of the 210.

I have a couple of 400lb bags, so I will just start there, but I need to at least add some weight up front too.

Redstorm
08-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Congrats on the new to u 210!

Ryan
08-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Congrats! I just saw this on Craigslist today. You got a pretty good deal, epecially if you got it for less than the asking price.

Double D
08-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Congrats an sorry all at the same time! :)

hondaprlud
08-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Congrats on the buy. Looks good!

Astepatatime
08-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Congrats on the new ride! Great looking boat. Enjoy surfing, it's nice to have the variety of options of watersports.

scott023
08-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Looks great, congrats on the purchase.

dvsone79
08-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Congrats! My fuel gauge does the same thing.

CC2MC
08-18-2013, 11:40 PM
So, it's still on CL? I just saw it. Oh well. He said he was getting tons of calls about it and he will probably continue to get calls if he doesn't take it down. One thing I have noticed is that this thing is a slug compared to the PS 205. Part of it is bc it is a heavier boat and it also needs a new steering cable, which I will replace in the winter. It does have some other issues that need to be addressed, like chips in the bottom of the hull and a couple in the deck that can be fixed easily with some patch paste. The major issue is the cracks in the gelcoat on the transom coming from both exhaust flanges. It is from the screws on the flanges and the crack has just spread. If you lift the flap up, there is a crack in the flange meaning it was over tightened. It is not a huge deal but does need to be addressed. I talked to Rambo marine about it and they agreed with me that it was just in the gelcoat, but informed me that the exhaust flanges will have to be replaced with stainless ones at $140 each as the plastic ones are no longer available. That is not that bad of a thing to add but it is an expense I was not expecting to have to make. I also need to buff out the entire boat bc it does have some oxidation in the red hull. It looks like I have some winter time projects lined up.

mikeg205
08-19-2013, 07:40 AM
ole Prostar? ;) - nice Maristar... :)

CC2MC
08-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Mike, in many ways, I think my Prostar is a much nicer boat. It still has the original upholstery, which is in great condition and overall this is a much cleaner boat, mostly due to the previous and current owner's MCOCD. (Mine exceeds the previous owner's though.) It just looks and feels a little better quality overall. It handles much better for sure and has a better hole shot. Not that the Maristar is bad, but it is a heavier boat, plus it's in need of a new steering cable. I think a reprop will be in order down the road bc when it has about 6 avg people in the boat and I am pulling someone, it tends to wander slightly on the speed. PP will be a welcome addition as well. Everything will come with time.