PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from the camper guys

clrussell
08-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Recently got a camper, older but in great shape. Had to pull it to dads shop with his flat bed truck because of the hitch height and today I finally hooked it to my truck for the first time after adjusting the hitch. But as you can tell from the picture the camper does not sit level at all. I had it in my mind to put the springs on top of the axle and pull it that way. I know this is possible but I'm just looking for input from others who have been here before. Should I pull it how it is? Should I put the springs on top of the axle? If I do the spring over will it feel more top heavy? Or just drop the neck about an inch and pull it? Any input?? Thanks guys

heath124
08-17-2013, 03:17 PM
How much space do you have between the top of your truck bed and your camper. It looks like in the picture there is a lot. It should be between 8-10". I have had to flip the axles on a couple mine. It looks like you could adjust your hitch in the truck or your kingpin on the trailer.

clrussell
08-17-2013, 03:47 PM
I probably have 10" right now, forgot to add that the trailer has been converted to gooseneck ball and doesn't use the 5th wheel plate. When you flipped the axles on top did It make it pull any different?

dog paw
08-17-2013, 04:19 PM
I have put block kits in a couple of gooseneck horse trailers to level them up,but they had torsion axles. All seem to have been on late model trucks. dexter has over under kits available. http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/Trailer_Height_Adjustment.pdf. That might help some I'm sure there are other kits out there also.

clrussell
08-17-2013, 05:58 PM
I've got all the pieces to swap it to spring over, I just wanted to talk to a couple people who had before I did it. My dad sells trailers and equip so parts were easy

heath124
08-17-2013, 06:22 PM
None of mine pulled any different and my dad also did one of his campers and they all pulled fine.

clrussell
08-17-2013, 09:17 PM
None of mine pulled any different and my dad also did one of his campers and they all pulled fine.

Cool, that's what I needed to hear. I guess when it comes a rainy day I'll get it lifted!

Jerseydave
08-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Hard to tell, but the gooseneck looks pretty long where it connects to the truck.

If you have enough clearance above the bed sides, maybe you can shorten the gooseneck 3-4 inches.

Even if you add 4" to the axle spacing it's still not going to be level. Because your truck is lifted, I think you need to lower the nose of that trailer somehow. Can your truck be lowered back down to stock height?

Aric'sX15
08-18-2013, 01:49 AM
is your truck lifted? very clean by the way!

clrussell
08-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Truck isn't lifted, just leveled with 33" tires. I can shorten the neck a little but I'm afraid if I go much I won't have any bedsides left

dog paw
08-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Yep, I did a "I think I can make it" with this beast. It was a three hour drive to pick it up and I did not bring a offset ball to account for the overhang. Had to make a U turn and it cost me a back glass......