PDA

View Full Version : Can I patch this myself? Gelcoat Repair

mneff1
08-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Uh oh. I need help. I had an accident, no need to explain how, it's over.

However, I could use some help. I purchased a quart of the spectrum gelcoat to repair the damage. http://www.iboats.com/Mastercraft-2007-2010-White-CCP-LVOC-Color-Boat-Gel-Coat-Quart-Spectrum-Color/dm/view_id.835777

I have 2 gouges. Attached are 2 images of each gouge. One is about 8 inches long and one is 6 inches long. The are not deep. It's weird because I thought I would see fiberglass underneath the gelcoat but it almost looks like metal. It has to be fiberglas.

It's a 2010 MC TT PS 197.

Do you think I can just grind the edges down or could I use sandpaper. The edges are jagged but they are on firm. I can't knock them off if I try to.

Also, I am concerned that it's on an corner. Can I get it close enough to match?

Any ideas on how to mix the gel coat and the catalyst?

My plan would be to grind, clean with asetone, tape around edges, apply gelcoat with putty knife, let dry and sand 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, compound then wax.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

snork
08-16-2013, 07:08 PM
No problem mon, lay the gel on nice and thick, sand excessive gel and re-apply then sand again with finer sand paper, repeat till its unnoticeable

mikeg205
08-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Gind it easy as to not chew into the glass. If it's not perfect - since gel is 3 years old already - prolly won't be perfect - but so close if anyone looks at real close - poke them in the eye with a sharp stick....

Pic is of where I had a gouge... couldn't take a before picture.. never want to see it again... ;)

mneff1
08-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys! So you think I should grind just the edges and be careful not to go into the glass? Just want to be sure. I don't have a grinder. I'll need to find one.

I will delete pics as soon as I fix it:)

Kweisner
08-16-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm thinking you want to go easy on the edges--maybe a Dremel is what u need vs a traditional grinder?

hewlett6621
08-16-2013, 08:21 PM
What he said the perfect tool for the job.

maxpower220
08-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Watch a few youtube videos. It's not that hard to work with, but the color match is the difficult part. Since your boat isn't that old, it will probably be pretty close.

I start with 800 grit and work up. Also, I found wax paper to be helpful in "smoothing" the gel coat onto the surface.

JRW160
08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Dremel it out then clean it with acetone before patching the gel. I had a couple of gelcoat nicks in a similar spot earlier this year. I covered the new gel with packing tape immediately after I applied it and it smoothed it out really well. I let it sits for a few day then pulled the tape. After another couple of days I wetsanded it, then buffed and polished it.

scott023
08-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Dremel it out then clean it with acetone before patching the gel. I had a couple of gelcoat nicks in a similar spot earlier this year. I covered the new gel with packing tape immediately after I applied it and it smoothed it out really well. I let it sits for a few day then pulled the tape. After another couple of days I wetsanded it, then buffed and polished it.

This is what I've had a couple buddies do as well. Can't even tell where the damage was.

Skipper
08-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Start by grinding away the damaged area to create a scalloped area. Mix epoxy resin 50/50 with mineral spirits and brush it over all of the exposed fiberglass. This will allow the resin to saturate deep into the fiberglass and provide strength to the repair area. Then, lightly sand with 320 before applying the gelcote. Brush it in several thin layers until it builds up just over the thickness of the undamaged area. Then, wet sand with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000. Each sanding will get rid of the scratches from the previous sanding. Then, buff out the repair area. Follow with a good wax. Should blend perfectly.

GoneBoatN
08-17-2013, 12:41 AM
From your pictures it looks like you need to repair a corner and the ridge of a chine. You purchased the non-paste version of the gelcoat.

Given the size you need to fix that may have been the correct thing to do. However, to build up the ridge is going to take some work. Spectrum has some instructions at http://www.spectrumcolor.com/TechnicalInfo.aspx. The document "Chips, Gouges mold marks" at this link talks about a few methods. Method 2 talks about using Cabosil to make a paste. I only have experience using that stuff to thicken epoxy and I can say it does a good job of making a paste in that case. I like the idea of this because it is going to give you a good base color that spray over with a final coats of gel should produce good results.

If you have some experience spray painting that will be a help. But also understand working with and spraying Gel is different. Spraying Gel takes a bit of getting use to. Since you got a quart you have some to practice with.

You may want to read http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/re-gelcoating.htm.

Given the fact that it is the bottom of the boat and that it is not too old (2010), if you took good care of the gel, you should be able to get a really good match.

You may already know this: your pictures show cracks beyond the area that was gouged. Your prep work (grinding out with a dremel) needs to extend into that area as well.

GoneBoatN
08-17-2013, 12:49 AM
Since mneff1 got the non-paste version of the Gel, he needs to worry surfacing agents correct (like Patch Aid and Wax)? I'm not that familiar with Spectrum's products.

mneff1
08-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Check out the pics. I used a dremmel to get a nice base to work on and to smooth out the jagged edges. That was scary. Then I applied coats of gelcoat (1 table spoon and 7 drops catalyst). I sanded in between each coat. It took 5 coats to build up with the last coat I added 7 drops of the Spectrum Surface seal. For the corner, I cut a V in a block of wood that matched the angle. Then I used sandpaper in the block to round the corner nicely. Overall I'm very excited with the result. I used some compound and then a couple coats of wax. The color match is perfect.

Thanks for all the input. I think the next time I might try the trick with the tape. I might be able to do it with less coats. I had trouble with the sanding. I tried to start with 320 but the sand would just get into the gel. If I started with 220, it worked perfectly. I started with 220, 320, 400, 600, compound, wax. I forgot to wet sand the last coat but it didn't seem to matter.

Mike

thatsmrmastercraft
08-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Very nice work.

mikeg205
08-26-2013, 03:01 PM
what damage was repaired ... :)

Redstorm
08-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Wow...good job!

190 Skier
08-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Very impressive result, thanks for sharing the process with the rest of us. Makes it easier to attack these kind of jobs when I see these type of results.

GoneBoatN
08-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Very nice job.

mcparadise
08-26-2013, 05:34 PM

clear packing tape? applied tape with gel still wet? Easy off I guess ;-)

maxpower220
08-26-2013, 07:28 PM

I use household wax paper directly after applying the gel. If you have a large area repair, you can spread and smooth the gel easily with this method. Cuts sanding time down.

Kweisner
08-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Mike, you did an amazing job! I have a similar but smaller area to do and your results have encouraged me to take this on soon. Coupla questions. Did you go with the epoxy resin/mineral spirits per-treatment? Did you use any of the thickening agents, or just build up using repeated coats? Thanks in advance for your guidance, and again, very impressive work!

JRW160
08-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Yes and yes