PDA

View Full Version : Skiing Video - Looking for tips on form

JMLVMI
08-16-2013, 03:17 PM
https://vimeo.com/72497522

I feel like I've got enough speed through the wakes to run the course at 28@-15, but I can't seem to turn hard or fast enough. Would love to hear some feedback...

Paging TxsRiverRat :D

BTW the Ski-Doc camera mount worked great for filming. Links to my equipment in the description of the video...

TxsRiverRat
08-16-2013, 03:27 PM

LOL - thanks... Vimeo is blocked @ work, and sucks on my cell phone. So, all I can see is the preview pic when I pull it up.

I will watch it tonight, but here is what I see:

http://s18.postimg.org/s5l1tnam1/ski_pic.jpg

Looks like you are tail riding really bad - you got to mash down on the front of the ski alot harder... if you're tail riding that bad behind the boat, my guess is you're doing it at the turn too, which means you're losing all your angle.

RFF? I can't tell... If so, turn both shoulders towards the boat, eyes on the pylon :)

More later after I view the video

MC

mikeg205
08-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Yup - tail riding... looked like me earlier in the year... on your coast wait to turn until the water is breaking under your front binding.... Look here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYHKMHBJYdA&list=PL353CD7727BB81537 - worked for me -- still need lots of water time.... :D

JMLVMI
08-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Looks like you are tail riding really bad - you got to mash down on the front of the ski alot harder... if you're tail riding that bad behind the boat, my guess is you're doing it at the turn too, which means you're losing all your angle.

RFF?

LFF so this is my onside turn. I feel like I'm mashing my front foot down when I'm riding steady but as soon as I start swerving I must be getting back on the tail really hard.

TxsRiverRat
08-16-2013, 03:46 PM
LFF so this is my onside turn. I feel like I'm mashing my front foot down when I'm riding steady but as soon as I start swerving I must be getting back on the tail really hard.

Aim for getting this much ski in the water:

http://s13.postimg.org/3pbrbi5nr/Mark_7_25_10_06.jpg

mikeg205
08-16-2013, 03:53 PM
^^^ is that Kyle?

TxsRiverRat
08-16-2013, 03:58 PM
^^^ is that Kyle?

LOL - Me

mikeg205
08-16-2013, 04:01 PM
LOL - Me

How come your inside shoulder isn't back...lol

Double D
08-16-2013, 04:07 PM
^^^ is that Kyle?

LOL - Me

I miss Kyle! :( :rolleyes:

TxsRiverRat
08-16-2013, 04:11 PM
How come your inside shoulder isn't back...lol

My name is mark, not andy :)

I miss Kyle! :( :rolleyes:

Did you two break up? :D:rolleyes:

Ryan
08-16-2013, 04:18 PM

I feel like I've got enough speed through the wakes to run the course at 28@-15, but I can't seem to turn hard or fast enough. Would love to hear some feedback...

BTW the Ski-Doc camera mount worked great for filming. Links to my equipment in the description of the video...

I'm no pro, but suggest getting a faster rythm. It looks like you're hanging out waiting to make your turns. I used to do this all the time...

If you can carry your outbound speed into a turn it will allow the ski to bend in the water and help you turn faster. This was the coolest sensation for me to develop. The catalyst to getting it right was a tip from a guy at a ski club: initiate your turn as soon as the rope gets to the the corner of the boat and reach. That tip helped me do a few things at once, look up at the boat, got my shoulders fixed up better and got me to take advantage of what my ski for what it was designed to do.

Before this, I was working harder, getting sore faster and not having as much fun as I do now.

mikeg205
08-16-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm no pro, but suggest getting a faster rythm. It looks like you're hanging out waiting to make your turns. I used to do this all the time...

If you can carry your outbound speed into a turn it will allow the ski to bend in the water and help you turn faster. This was the coolest sensation for me to develop. The catalyst to getting it right was a tip from a guy at a ski club: initiate your turn as soon as the rope gets to the the corner of the boat and reach. That tip helped me do a few things at once, look up at the boat, got my shoulders fixed up better and got me to take advantage of what my ski for what it was designed to do.

Before this, I was working harder, getting sore faster and not having as much fun as I do now.

Great tip... measure 38 feet 7 inches away from the boat with the rope length you are using... put some tape on the sides of your boat to indicate (kinda) where the buoy will be. Then you can really start working your rhythm. As Ryan says... watch the corner of your boat - when your rope approaches the tape you should be ready to turn...

Buoys makes everything different... Free skiing will only get your confidence ready for a course... IMO and from what I have been told.

TxsRiverRat
08-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Buoys makes everything different... Free skiing will only get your confidence ready for a course... IMO and from what I have been told.

For me, getting in the slalom course only made me realize how bad I really sucked. Before I got inthe course, I was a waterskiing legend (in my own mind) :D

mikeg205
08-16-2013, 06:02 PM
For me, getting in the slalom course only made me realize how bad I really sucked. Before I got inthe course, I was a waterskiing legend (in my own mind) :D

But you were a legendary free skier... ;) not all of us have access to a course.. or a club... no clubs close to were I live... closest course - 90 minutes - 2 hours any direction... :(

TxsRiverRat
08-16-2013, 06:09 PM
But you were a legendary free skier... ;) not all of us have access to a course.. or a club... no clubs close to were I live... closest course - 90 minutes - 2 hours any direction... :(

Make it a point to come ski with us each year 1x :)

Ryan
08-16-2013, 06:12 PM

I totally relate to this.

mikeg205
08-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Make it a point to come ski with us each year 1x :)

I am hoping I get Texas back in my territory soon.. :D -

TxsRiverRat
08-16-2013, 06:31 PM
I am hoping I get Texas back in my territory soon.. :D -

DO ITTTT!

JMLVMI
08-17-2013, 01:43 AM

Good advice. Without buoys I never know how far to go and I can see how losing my speed by coasting flat and then starting to sink (esp. at my size) would kill my ability to turn.

Great tip... measure 38 feet 7 inches away from the boat with the rope length you are using... put some tape on the sides of your boat to indicate (kinda) where the buoy will be. Then you can really start working your rhythm. As Ryan says... watch the corner of your boat - when your rope approaches the tape you should be ready to turn...

I remember this from a previous thread. Did you just do this on dry land with the rope hooked up?

For me, getting in the slalom course only made me realize how bad I really sucked. Before I got in the course, I was a waterskiing legend (in my own mind) :D

Haha, ditto to this. I free skied behind the boat with some friends, and they thought I was amazing. Little do they know :rolleyes:

jamisonsbrodie
08-17-2013, 03:51 PM
A flat ski is bad. You lose angle and speed, especially crossing the wakes and just before the turn. You have good knee bend, but you need to bring your shoulders back so that they are always behind your hips in a stacked position from your feet to your head. As others have said, don't wait to turn. You should always be either on edge, or changing edges and never flat except just before your turn in for the course. You have a good core to work from, just need to get into a stacked position and always keep moving from side to side. One more tip: with shouders back, keep your elbows tucked into your vest as your pulling from side to side. As soon as you get forward, the boat wins.

JMLVMI
08-17-2013, 09:09 PM
A flat ski is bad. You lose angle and speed, especially crossing the wakes and just before the turn. You have good knee bend, but you need to bring your shoulders back so that they are always behind your hips in a stacked position from your feet to your head. As others have said, don't wait to turn. You should always be either on edge, or changing edges and never flat except just before your turn in for the course. You have a good core to work from, just need to get into a stacked position and always keep moving from side to side. One more tip: with shouders back, keep your elbows tucked into your vest as your pulling from side to side. As soon as you get forward, the boat wins.

Thanks!

mikeg205
08-17-2013, 11:26 PM

Unless you have broken free on the crossing... just sayin.... ;)

JMLVMI
08-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Video from the course yesterday. So frustrating to be this bad at skiing! Can't wait to go to Coble in a couple of weeks to get some in-person coaching.

https://vimeo.com/72774953

mikeg205
08-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Video from the course yesterday. So frustrating to be this bad at skiing! Can't wait to go to Coble in a couple of weeks to get some in-person coaching.

https://vimeo.com/72774953

Riding the tail too much... the lesson will help... I need to try a course... maybe next month...

What speed were you riding at?

mike

JMLVMI
08-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Riding the tail too much... the lesson will help... I need to try a course... maybe next month...

What speed were you riding at?

mike

No PP on my boat yet, somewhere between 29-31mph.

I feel like I'm standing on that front foot. Maybe move the bindings up 1/2" or so?

mikeg205
08-21-2013, 08:22 PM
No PP on my boat yet, somewhere between 29-31mph.

I feel like I'm standing on that front foot. Maybe move the bindings up 1/2" or so?

Watch the Gordon Rathbun drills on you tube. - it changed my skiing and so did talkin' with Tex...rat...

The water should be breakin' under your front binding so you can use the whole ski... you'll know when this happens the turns feel completely different.... and the acceleration is stronger...

19_Skier
08-22-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm no pro but you need to stop pulling in on the rope. Focus on keeping your arms straight through the wakes, pulling in on the rope is causing you to lose your leverage position and speed as you cross the wakes. I think this is also causing the wobbles out near the buoy line.

you should be hanging your entire body off the handle as you are crossing the wake with your elbows pinned against your chest. Something that has been helping me get into a more stacked position on my offside is thinking about pointing my sternum at the tree tops while keeping a balanced stance on the ski.

mikeg205
08-22-2013, 08:26 AM
I'm no pro but you need to stop pulling in on the rope. Focus on keeping your arms straight through the wakes, pulling in on the rope is causing you to lose your leverage position and speed as you cross the wakes. I think this is also causing the wobbles out near the buoy line.

you should be hanging your entire body off the handle as you are crossing the wake with your elbows pinned against your chest. Something that has been helping me get into a more stacked position on my offside is thinking about pointing my sternum at the tree tops while keeping a balanced stance on the ski.

awesome advice..

jamisonsbrodie
08-22-2013, 03:02 PM
You are still definitely riding the tail, but not from leaning back too far. What you are doing is squatting on your back leg, and breaking at the waist, which makes you feel like you over your front foot, but most of the pressure/weight is on the back leg. You really need to get your shoulders back behind your hips while remaining centered over your ski. Look at the pic below of Seth Stisher (great coach BTW). He is in a great stacked position. This is what we all should strive for. Practice this by leaning away from the boat on one side (think of pulling out to the left to set up for your gate, but remain leaning) and hold this stacked position for as long as you can, then switch sides. concentrate on keeping your shoulders back, hips up and elbows tucked into the vest.

jwroblew
08-22-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't think your to far from running the course. Definitely stay with the one ball starts until you run the whole pass, adding the gate back in after that is easy. What everyone said about arms and back foot is very true but I would start were you look. It looks like you are looking right at the next buoy, so you ski right to it, and start your turn at the buoy, you should be finishing your turn there. Look 20 feet or so in front of the buoy your going to, start your turn at that imaginary buoy and finish your turn at the real buoy. I would suggest 1 ball starts spray the inside of 2,3,4,5 go around six, working at getting early to the buoy first then wide second. Then start going around some of the other buoys until you can go around the all of them

Greenster
08-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Love this thread btw.

cbryan70
08-22-2013, 03:55 PM

I know of a course an hour from you :cool:

JMLVMI
08-24-2013, 02:01 AM
Thanks for all of the great tips guys. Hopefully I'm like the kid asking questions in class: willing to embarrass myself publicly for the benefit of others with the same questions :) Will keep taking video and posting to this thread.

sk8salomon
08-24-2013, 06:59 AM
2 basic things i see

keep your arms straight and think soft knees! otherwise, you got it man!

JMLVMI
08-27-2013, 03:02 AM
I'll post some videos of my drills from tonight, but thought you guys might enjoy this video of an OTF at 5fps. Check out the sunglasses that go flying! (they are Bomber floating models so Ii found them 20 feet away)

Gnar.

http://youtu.be/eyYuRek8dLs

Hammer
08-27-2013, 08:56 AM
You need to stick to 15off till you have the basics down. And yes this boat has a massive 22 bump. But its no problem with lots of angle and soft knees. Gotta be in position or it will put you OTF. Makes for great video though!

jamisonsbrodie
08-27-2013, 11:53 AM
For sure stick to 15 off. On your pullout, you had a really nice stacked position with your shoulders back and hips up. Then, on your turn in, your hips went back and your shoulders were forward. Compare your position at 7 sec. vs 31 sec. Bent knees are good, but not if you are broken at the waist. Also, lose the one handed gate IMO. You can always go back to this down the road. I tried it one summer and it seemed to be counter-productive.

mikeg205
08-27-2013, 12:03 PM
I believe he can't fly... that could have been bad injury... I am working on the same issue - just need lot's more time on water...

mikeg205
08-27-2013, 12:06 PM
awesome spray.... the glassed got a lot of air!!! ;)

mikeg205
08-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Dang I am over posting in this thread... ;) ... been really working the pull thru... my shoulders are much better than from the year before... first pic November 10, 2012.

Still lots of work left for me to get like the bottom photo - at least I am no longer getting launched thru the wake... 45-60 minutes of ski on water time a week just ain't cutting it... progressing - but very slowly... But overall I am satisfied with my improvement this year... :)

Hammer
08-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Mike, you and Jason have the same problem. You are flattening out at the wake causing the ski to "hit" the wake instead of slicing through it. Jason, the position you were in when you did the pullout should be the same position you should be in to cross the wake. Notice in Mikes last picture how close the handle is to his hip. The pull through the wake is the key, in my mind, to skiing the course.

JMLVMI
08-27-2013, 12:50 PM
I believe he can't fly... that could have been bad injury... I am working on the same issue - just need lot's more time on water...

It definitely had me shaking my head and taking a few deep breaths afterwards. The glasses were a solid 20ft away. I know I broke at the waist, but even in slo-mo I can't see exactly what the ski did to pop like that.

I'm rendering the drills videos now.

I free-skied behind my buddies Ski Brendella this morning, and taking a break from (failing at) the course was what I needed. Felt good to carve up some butter without little orange things screaming at me :D

russlars
08-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Dang I am over posting in this thread... ;) ... been really working the pull thru... my shoulders are much better than from the year before... first pic November 10, 2012.

Still lots of work left for me to get like the bottom photo - at least I am no longer getting launched thru the wake... 45-60 minutes of ski on water time a week just ain't cutting it... progressing - but very slowly... But overall I am satisfied with my improvement this year... :)
Where did you find the bottom pic-I was on another line?

mikeg205
08-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Where did you find the bottom pic-I was on another line?

I picked it up off a facebook photo from the myboat page

russlars
08-27-2013, 03:06 PM
I picked it up off a facebook photo from the myboat page
How about a link. This pic needs to go on my wall.

JMLVMI
08-27-2013, 03:09 PM
How about a link. This pic needs to go on my wall.

http://cl.ly/image/1z2s413l1h2i

JMLVMI
08-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Here's the full video...kept the crash in as well as did some stills where I saw good things and bad things happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh9_sqGI_fI

russlars
08-27-2013, 03:16 PM
http://cl.ly/image/1z2s413l1h2i
Thank you!

jamisonsbrodie
08-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Here's the full video...kept the crash in as well as did some stills where I saw good things and bad things happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh9_sqGI_fI

Jason,

Seeing some good things there. You are working on your stacked position, but you aren't holding it. You are coming forward and riding a flat ski at the worst possible spot...right behind the boat. At your line length, you should be holding your edge/stacked position until you get at least past the white wash after the second trough. Instead, your are releasing at the first trough and breaking at the waist and losing all of your angle (not to mention a dangerous body position as you found out). As one of my ski partners likes to say "do you want me to hold your purse". I mean that jokingly of course, but you just need to hold that position/angle far past the wakes in order to carry enough speed and angle to get to the next ball early.

TxsRiverRat
08-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Jason,

Seeing some good things there. You are working on your stacked position, but you aren't holding it. You are coming forward and riding a flat ski at the worst possible spot...right behind the boat. At your line length, you should be holding your edge/stacked position until you get at least past the white wash after the second trough. Instead, your are releasing at the first trough and breaking at the waist and losing all of your angle (not to mention a dangerous body position as you found out). As one of my ski partners likes to say "do you want me to hold your purse". I mean that jokingly of course, but you just need to hold that position/angle far past the wakes in order to carry enough speed and angle to get to the next ball early.

Agree with you 100%

mikeg205
08-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Mike, you and Jason have the same problem. You are flattening out at the wake causing the ski to "hit" the wake instead of slicing through it. Jason, the position you were in when you did the pullout should be the same position you should be in to cross the wake. Notice in Mikes last picture how close the handle is to his hip. The pull through the wake is the key, in my mind, to skiing the course.

You got it hammer... !!!

cbryan70
08-27-2013, 04:40 PM
I had my wife take some video of me. Ill have to find it or take more. My miss half the run becuase of the wall of spray from my boat. I def could tell a major difference in my turns when waiting for the boat and stacking then just trying to turn rip and pull through. Alot of energy savings.

JMLVMI
09-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Couple of new videos for you, post-Coble:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1bS1auxutU - Went skiing with Hammer behind my boat at his private lake. Made 3 ball for the first time, and I feel like I'm getting closer. Really balancing my weight (even though it feels like I'm standing on my front foot) and going right through the wakes. Need to focus on turning before the ball not at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob44b-gwBLs - Free skiing yesterday morning. Air temp around 50*, water temp had to be 75*, so there was steam off the water all morning. Truly beautiful. You can see again that I'm still flattening out a little bit, but since I'm so much more balanced on my ski and locking my arms to the vest/hips to the handle, the wake isn't knocking me into next week; more like a speedbump now. Still having trouble initiating turns and getting any "inside lean". Not sure how much is the wide-ride ski and how much is me. There's a 69" Radar Senate on SIA I've got my eyes on :-)

Feedback always welcome!

Hammer
09-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Looking better! Keep working on that pull through the wake. Especially from your left to your right. As far as the Senate, I would look for a strada over the senate from Radar anyway.

JMLVMI
09-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Looking better! Keep working on that pull through the wake. Especially from your left to your right. As far as the Senate, I would look for a strada over the senate from Radar anyway.

Yea I just need to spend an entire day doing nothing but offside turns and wake crossings!

Sounds like the Senate is a small move up from the Triumph, just not sure I'm ready to go all the way to the Strada level...would really like a HO CoX.

jamisonsbrodie
09-20-2013, 02:23 PM

I strongly disagree with this as the Senate is a slightly wider and more forgiving version of the Strada, which at your speed and ability are VERY important. The Strada is a great ski, but its made for at least 32MPH and more aggressive skiers. I would say the Strada is the smoothest of the high end tourney skis, but the Senate is more suited for what you are working on, especially at slower speeds.

The Senate is wayyyyyy better than the Triumph. The CoX is a dog.

FWIW, I can a ski a Senate into 38 off (although it takes a bit more work than my X7), but I can't say the same about the CoX.

JMLVMI
09-20-2013, 02:48 PM
I strongly disagree with this as the Senate is a slightly wider and more forgiving version of the Strada, which at your speed and ability are VERY important. The Strada is a great ski, but its made for at least 32MPH and more aggressive skiers. I would say the Strada is the smoothest of the high end tourney skis, but the Senate is more suited for what you are working on, especially at slower speeds.

The Senate is wayyyyyy better than the Triumph. The CoX is a dog.

FWIW, I can a ski a Senate into 38 off (although it takes a bit more work than my X7), but I can't say the same about the CoX.

Thanks...the ski is actually a Senate C, which is stiffer and less forgiving than the standard Senate (so I've read). I just don't want to pay for something that is only a slight difference OR is so hardcore that I can't ski comfortably in open water when I want.

jamisonsbrodie
09-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks...the ski is actually a Senate C, which is stiffer and less forgiving than the standard Senate (so I've read). I just don't want to pay for something that is only a slight difference OR is so hardcore that I can't ski comfortably in open water when I want.

Yes, I was refering to the Senate C as well. Great ski. Smooth as silk. Best intermediate ski on the market IMO, yet will take you as far as you want to go. It is .2" wider than the Strada, but same design yet different core. I have put a handful of my friends on one and each one loves it.

What do you weigh?

JMLVMI
09-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Yes, I was refering to the Senate C as well. Great ski. Smooth as silk. Best intermediate ski on the market IMO, yet will take you as far as you want to go. It is .2" wider than the Strada, but same design yet different core. I have put a handful of my friends on one and each one loves it.

What do you weigh?

~230lbs, down from 245lbs and planning to get to 200-210. 6'2".

TxsRiverRat
09-20-2013, 03:49 PM
The lower weight will help...

I got out on the course last night for the 1st time in 3 weeks - 1st time since my trip and cortisone shot in my elbow...

The differences:

1. PERFECT glassy conditions on MUDDY ski site
2. Weight is down - 194.5 to 181.4 - 13# makes a BIG difference
3. Cortisone shot to alleviate pain
4. 3 weeks off to let body recover

I never sped the boat up to 34, but I was running 15/32 B2B2B2B - like not even trying... I kept asking the GF if the boat was set to 32 or she thought the buoys were narrow - it was an amazing night...

Good job Jason, I will review your videos in more detail this weekend - BTW link 2 - no worky ;)

jamisonsbrodie
09-20-2013, 04:39 PM
~230lbs, down from 245lbs and planning to get to 200-210. 6'2".

69" will be the ticket!

JMLVMI
09-20-2013, 05:02 PM
The lower weight will help...

I got out on the course last night for the 1st time in 3 weeks - 1st time since my trip and cortisone shot in my elbow...

The differences:

1. PERFECT glassy conditions on MUDDY ski site
2. Weight is down - 194.5 to 181.4 - 13# makes a BIG difference
3. Cortisone shot to alleviate pain
4. 3 weeks off to let body recover

I never sped the boat up to 34, but I was running 15/32 B2B2B2B - like not even trying... I kept asking the GF if the boat was set to 32 or she thought the buoys were narrow - it was an amazing night...

Good job Jason, I will review your videos in more detail this weekend - BTW link 2 - no worky ;)

Nice! Glad to see you're getting back out there. The 2nd link should work now, I set it to private before.

mxhideout
09-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks for making this thread, Jason, lol. We haven't taken the boat out for a weeks due to busy schedules, and every time we're open the weather blows (pun intended). I don't have a lot of ski time, but I learned a lot more just by reading these tips and watching those Gordon Rathbun video clips. I'm hoping we can get out a few more times here while it's still fresh in my memory...

JMLVMI
09-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Thanks for making this thread, Jason, lol. We haven't taken the boat out for a weeks due to busy schedules, and every time we're open the weather blows (pun intended). I don't have a lot of ski time, but I learned a lot more just by reading these tips and watching those Gordon Rathbun video clips. I'm hoping we can get out a few more times here while it's still fresh in my memory...

Glad to do it...like I said, if someone learns something from people helping me with my terrible skiing, then that's worth it :)

skps190
09-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Glad to do it...like I said, if someone learns something from people helping me with my terrible skiing, then that's worth it :)

I wouldn't say terrible at all. I look at it like I do golf, there are definitely people better than me, but also people way worse. The learning curve is huge, I'm in the same boat as you as far as skill level goes. Keep it up!.

mikeg205
09-21-2013, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't say terrible at all. I look at it like I do golf, there are definitely people better than me, but also people way worse. The learning curve is huge, I'm in the same boat as you as far as skill level goes. Keep it up!.

I am with your skps190.... hey - your in my area - where do you usually ski?

skps190
09-21-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm in Crete. Most of the summer I ski in Michigan. My brother brought his boat home Labor Day so we can extend the season. We've been hitting up Cedar Lake (IN) when we ski around here. We're in the same county, just on opposite ends. What about you?

mikeg205
09-21-2013, 06:46 PM
I ski in the Illinois River and Des Plaines River.

http://marinas.com/view/marina/745_Channahon_Big_Basin_Marina_IL_United_States

and

http://marinas.com/view/marina/745_Channahon_Big_Basin_Marina_IL_United_States

congrats on lake house!

JMLVMI
09-21-2013, 11:36 PM

Thanks...I hang out around the Ball of Spray forum too, and the "stuck at -35, help me get to -38" threads are a bit disheartening! ;) I feel like I've progressed a lot in my first season behind a ski tractor, and it's not over yet.

skps190
09-22-2013, 09:02 AM
I free ski 99.9% of the time so it's hard for me to track my progress. A couple weeks ago I had the chance to try a course and it was probably one of the most humbling things I did all summer. I went from feeling like I was skiing pretty good to feeling like "wow, I really suck." It's just too addicting for me to give up. I'm hoping to video myself and post it to get some constructive criticism on my technique here and on BOS.

I saw those threads as well, I just keep reminding myself it's all relative. I'm a single digit handicapper when I golf so I complain when I shoot over 82-83. I know a lot of people that would love to shoot that consistently. It's the same as you and I thinking we'd love to just run -15 let alone -35/38.

mikeg205
09-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Hard for me to get to a course - remember it's about having fun too and keeping the sport alive. You can throw wake board tricks anywhere - but slalom prowess is measured in a course..

h2oskifreak
09-22-2013, 12:07 PM
This thread brings back memories of my first course videos. I (back then) used to fall forward across the wakes. Punishers, they were. Glad I learned ski on edge and hips forward, early on or it could have been a short lived hobby.

mikeg205
09-22-2013, 12:31 PM
This thread brings back memories of my first course videos. I (back then) used to fall forward across the wakes. Punishers, they were. Glad I learned ski on edge and hips forward, early on or it could have been a short lived hobby.

Like.....