PDA

View Full Version : tailgating tv question

02ProstarSammyD
08-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Ok lets talk tailgating. So normally I run paralleled batteries with an inverter to power my tv for tailgating. This has always worked out since most of our home games were late in the year and I just used my boats batteries. This year we have a front loaded schedule and no access to my buddies generator as a backup.

We run a 26" viz lcd just to keep track of games. Nothing too fancy just like to keep up with things.

Specs:
Voltage Range: 100~120Vac at 50/60 Hz
Power Consumption: 72W (Average), <1W at 120 Standby

That puts me at roughly .6amps of draw average.

Now here comes the big question. I just bought a new dodge ram with the 115v plug in the truck. The plug is rated at 1amp although when I do the math its 1.3amps@115v since its 150watts.

So I have a 80ahr battery in the truck so by my calculations I should be able to get away with 5.5hrs @72watts.

Now here is the question. Do you guys think this is a bad idea? Should I parallel a battery and isolator in? Just buy a new deep battery and go back to the inverter?

88 PS190
08-15-2013, 09:51 PM
I've been shopping for something like this:

http://www.prioritystart.com/12vpromax.php

Basically I have a vehicle that seems to randomly discharge its battery - tried and tried and tried to trouble shoot the issue.

New alternator, new battery, new cables, cleaning grounds, pulled all fuses. Still happens.

So one of these basically monitors so the battery doesn't ever get too low to start - you'll end up with no TV when it hits that point - but if you think you can do 5.5 hours, and 4.5 hours in it turns off you know that next time you should bring a battery and inverter.

dog paw
08-15-2013, 10:35 PM
just got this in. Apparently tailgating is serious business :)