PDA

View Full Version : WAY too much heat on a cool night...

Burdhntr
08-14-2013, 11:15 PM
So it's 68 degrees and we're skiing tonight. Pull a flying dock start barefoot run. Jump in the drivers seat and about to take off when I notice "steam" comin from the heater vents, a blinking check engine light and a spiking temp. Shut her down, swam her in and pulled her out. Damn! Vacation starts Friday.

Green fluid under the drivers console and in bow seat storage. Is this heater core/heater core line issue?

ricford
08-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Sounds like a heater core issue. If it is simply bypass it for now to save your vacation. Don't know why it would be green though, unless it's a closed cooling system.

Burdhntr
08-15-2013, 12:02 AM
It does have closed cooling system in addition to the water cooled/impeller system.

Jerseydave
08-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Leaky heater core for sure. Bypass it so you can keep skiing.

Burdhntr
08-15-2013, 08:11 AM
And how do I bypass it? Shut off valve?

Also, why would the engine overheat because of the heater? Impeller is still working.

JohnnyB
08-15-2013, 08:24 AM

Also, why would the engine overheat because of the heater? Impeller is still working.

It may be low on coolant from the leak...

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Burdhntr
08-15-2013, 08:38 AM
But wouldn't the temp spike be gradual then? It shot up pretty quick.

TRBenj
08-15-2013, 10:00 AM

On a closed cooling system, lake water is pulled by the raw water pump (impeller) through the heat exchanger. Antifreeze (what leaked out of your heater core) is circulated through the block and is cooled by the heat exchanger. If you are low on antifreeze (due to a heater core leak), the engine will overheat.

To bypass the heater core, simply connect the 2 hoses (in/out) that run to the heater together. They should be 5/8", so a piece of copper or a hose barb fitting works well.

JimN
08-15-2013, 10:10 AM
So it's 68 degrees and we're skiing tonight. Pull a flying dock start barefoot run. Jump in the drivers seat and about to take off when I notice "steam" comin from the heater vents, a blinking check engine light and a spiking temp. Shut her down, swam her in and pulled her out. Damn! Vacation starts Friday.

Green fluid under the drivers console and in bow seat storage. Is this heater core/heater core line issue?

Definitely sounds like a heater core problem. You should be able to bypass it, assuming they have a simple stub for the hose to attach to. Measure the stub's diameter and buy a hose barb & two hose clamps, then remove the hoses, insert the barb and clamp it. Once that's done, drain the core & take it to a radiator shop for repair.

mcmx2
08-15-2013, 10:18 AM
I agree with Jim and TRBenj, heater Core. I have the same engine as you. Bypass the heater, refill the antifreeze and have a good vacation. When I flushed my system I had a hard time getting it to burp out the air on refill. Take the hose off the bottom of the reservoir where you add the antifreeze and fill the block directly to get the air out, this j tube wants to hold air.

JohnnyB
08-15-2013, 10:20 AM
But wouldn't the temp spike be gradual then? It shot up pretty quick.

How long may your core have been leaking.....could've been leaking out for a while

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Burdhntr
08-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Spoke with friend at dealership. Easy bypass right on the engine block. Disconnect hose, reconnect hose, leave extension hoses to heater core in bilge, refill and take to lake. Thanks for the help everyone.