PDA

View Full Version : Help fixing leak in bilge.

Richinga
08-14-2013, 10:23 PM
I have a 2011 Prostar WTT and found a slight leak in the bilge that I'm trying to find and fix. The boat is pulling in about 10 gallons of water in the bilge after just a few hours on the water. (After two hours the bilge pump kicks in). After ruling out the drain plug, prop shaft seal, and rudder port, I think I've traced the leak to either the raw water or paddle wheel through hull fittings. (They're both right next to each other and I've noticed a slight but steady stream of water coming from the area between the two fittings).

I can't tell if the leak is coming from the hose or a bad gasket in the fitting. if it's the hose i assume tightening or replacing the hose clamp will solve the problem. The question I have is how do I repair or replace the through hull fitting and gasket, if need be? There's a ton of sealant/caulk all around the fitting/gasket/bilge and I have no idea how to get the stuff off I order to loosen the fitting.

Any suggestions on making sure I pin point the leak and then fixing it properly?

mikeg205
08-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Take a run with with out the dog house installed? just a thought. Is the sealant hard or soft if it the sealant failed and it's 3M 5200 - you have some work ahead of you.