PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch problem

ac505
08-14-2013, 04:13 PM
I was installing perfect pass on my 00 xstar the other evening. All goes well until I go to unscrew the ignition terminal from the post on the key ignition switch. Long story cut short, the ignition switch post broke in half... Now I don't see the need to operate the accessories and not the ignition , so I was thinking on just moving the purple ignition wire over onto the accessory post on the switch, in other words changing the switch from a four position to a three position. Any problems with doing this?

tr6coug
08-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Should not be a problem. The only thing I can think of is that you might clock up hours on your hour meter if your just sitting listening to the radio.

Table Rocker
08-14-2013, 04:47 PM
The only thing I can think of is the accessory position might not be hot while the key is turned to "start." Other than that, it seems like a reasonable temporary solution.

ac505
08-14-2013, 05:06 PM
The accessory terminal will be live whilst cranking I would think, but I'll check just to be sure. Only one battery in the boat so I tend not to listen to music with the engine off so no probs there

ricford
08-14-2013, 10:53 PM
I think you'll find the accessory position is not live while cranking.

ahhudgins
08-15-2013, 12:50 PM
I think you'll find the accessory position is not live while cranking.

I was thinking the same thing. 2 ways to verify: volt meter or hook it up and see.

tr6coug
08-21-2013, 12:31 AM
The only thing I can think of is the accessory position might not be hot while the key is turned to "start." Other than that, it seems like a reasonable temporary solution.

Correct. ACC is not hot when cranking. That is how my 4-position switch works.

Sorry I misunderstood and originally I thought you wanted to move the ACC wires to IGN, not the other way around. I don't think this will work after all.

ac505
08-21-2013, 03:49 AM
thanks, I just went ahead and replaced the switch. Glad I did, another terminal just fell apart in my hands when I was taking it apart - I am sure voltage drops/high resistance would have been an issue had I kept the old switch.

Table Rocker
08-21-2013, 09:34 AM
You will always be glad you fixed it right. Thanks for reporting back.