PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning boat after a day on the lake

Foster20
08-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Just curious to see what I should be doing to my boat after a day on the lake. I trailer my boat about 30 minutes each way. I usually just pack up the interior (make sure everything is put away, put boards in the truck, get all towels out...etc) then dry the hull off with a towel. Once i get home I have to break down the tower to fit in my 8' shop door, lay all the life jackets out that got wet along with anything else that needs dried off and then put a fan on the interior to continue drying it out.

SP Maristar
08-14-2013, 12:19 PM
This is exactly what we do minus the fan.

02ProstarSammyD
08-14-2013, 12:24 PM
we wipe down the outside and inside at the lake. Takes 30 seconds with 5 or 6 people wiping. When I get home pull out vests, hang em up, and just leave the hatches open to dry for awhile.

JMLVMI
08-14-2013, 12:25 PM
This is exactly what we do minus the fan.

Same here, we store in a big open storage unit so the airflow is usually sufficient unless it got really soaked...then I leave it outside at the house for a few hours afterwards.

carracer
08-14-2013, 12:27 PM
It depends on how bad your MC ocd is...... I wash and detail between every outing!!!!! In out and under.

jgraham37128
08-14-2013, 12:39 PM
I wipe mine down with spray wax after each use. I pull all items we used out for drying then remove all the seats and place them in the floor or along the base where the seats go, sitting upright so they get completely dry and then I lift all the hatches to dry out. I never leave a seat pushed again another seat overnight. this seems to be where all the stains start, by opening all hatches and separating each seat every part can fully dry out.

We keep ours on a lift now but when I was doing storage a few miles from the lake I bought a plastic shelving system from Lowe's and would move all my seats to it so it would fully dry, which I liked even better.

Foster20
08-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Good stuff.
What kind of spray wax do you use graham?

Traxx822
08-14-2013, 01:13 PM
I usually clean my boat the next time i'm on it. Gets kinda rank sometimes. I think I still have a bottle of champagne in my boat from the 4th :D:D

Rockman
08-14-2013, 01:18 PM
As soon as we pull the boat out, we spray the boat down with clean water and wipe off any scum line and dirt and then spray and wipe down with vinegar and water.

Remove all items such as towels, vests, etc., open motor box, pull drain plug, let motor cool a bit, close motor box and pack up gear to go home.

Once we get home, everything comes out of the boat and we run 2 fans to help dry everything out. Hang up all gear to dry out. Before next time out, we clean wind shield, dash and seats...and touch up teak if necessary.

Here is a pick of the gear we use each week. Other side of garage has the remainder of the gear.

Traxx822
08-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Holly $#it that is cool Rockman.

JMLVMI
08-14-2013, 01:46 PM

x2. Cool to have all of that gear for all types of fun and people on the water! We've got vests for infants to 250lbs+, so our lineup looks something like that :)

Rockman
08-14-2013, 02:42 PM

Thanks buddy!:D

Rockman
08-14-2013, 02:46 PM
x2. Cool to have all of that gear for all types of fun and people on the water! We've got vests for infants to 250lbs+, so our lineup looks something like that :)

You know after a significant number of years in boating you accumulate more than you tend to let go. ;)

Having a house-purge garage sale next weekend now that the kiddos are getting older and alot of the baby toys, etc. as well as "stuff" that I have held onto needs to go. That should help clear up some garage space to help better organize the stuff we use often.

The shelf above the boat is great because we can back the boat in and take everything out while in the boat instead of having to use a ladder, etc. Same goes for hanging up the ropes, vests and suits.

TxsRiverRat
08-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Rockman, you're gonna be on the 1st episode of boating hoarders? :D :D

Great set up man

CantRepeat
08-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Normally we end up going out to dinner at the local gringo mexican place near our house.

At the lake it its just pull the main plug and store everything so it wont blow out on the ride to dinner. Get to the joint and I open up all the compartments to include the engine hatch so they can start to dry out. Get home and unload the coolers and towels. Give the boat a very quick 5 minute was down with car soap and dry the hull, trailers and wheels. Give the interior a very quick and lite spray of 303. Then back the boat up near her covered parking and open all the hatches again so they can dry some more. I'll let it sit out as long as I'm up and the dew hasn't started to condense, then toss the cover on and back her up.

zsqure
08-14-2013, 02:59 PM
We dry off the hull top and sides then spray wax with body gloss. Unhook the latches that hold the motor box down. I have a strap that holds the motor box about 6-8" off the floor to allow air to circulate as we trailer it.

Foster20
08-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the info fella's

zsqure
08-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Normally we end up going out to dinner at the local gringo mexican place near our house.

A little Mexican induced gas aids the drying process? You learn something new everyday!😣

jgraham37128
08-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Good stuff.
What kind of spray wax do you use graham?

I personally use a spray wax from Showcar which is a local detail supplier.

uplander
08-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Rockman - I feel better after seeing your picture. I thought I had a bunch of stuff but you win. very nice set-up

trick from fellow boaters, use a white vinegar and water mix in a spray bottle (70% water 30% vinegar), spray side of boat after done and use chamos to dry. It will remove water spots and scum. Works great and is super cheap.

I carry a 5 gallon bucket in my truck with all cleaning supplies and it is always ready when I need it

swatguy
08-14-2013, 05:06 PM
I wipe it down after every use with Boat Candy Speed Gloss.

I swapped from Boat Bling Hot Sauce to the BC Speed Gloss this year and its a world of difference that I can truly notice. The Hot sauce worked great on hard water spots. Way better than the Babes. I didn't think it could be beat. Have the Speed Gloss a shot after a friend gae me a sample. Holy crap. The Speed Gloss attacks the hard water spots just as easily but really leaves a coat of wax that is super noticeable. The Hot Sauce used to streak from time to time on hot days but the speed gloss does not. The other benefit I noticed was that after using the speed gloss the water really will not "set up". I have much less hard water spots at the end of the day and I could get away with just a towel it holds up so well.

Stuff ain't cheap. The Boat Candy and Boat bling stuff cost about the same. So if I am on a weekend trip I usually will just use 50/50 vin water or a 30/70 vin water (just depends in the water I am traveling to) if we are in an out a ton and then on final day hit it with the speed gloss.

For the interior I use each companies spray product. Teu both have a light conditioner and protectant built into their vinyl cleaner Both the Boat Bling and Boat Candy stuff seems to work identical for me. For tough stains I use Totally Awesome Cleaner. It can be had for a 1 at the Dollar Store. Works awesome. Very similar if not almost identical to a high end detail product called Malco. For a dollar you can't beat it.

Cobra Rob
08-14-2013, 06:36 PM

I swapped from Boat Bling Hot Sauce to the BC Speed Gloss this year and its a world of difference that I can truly notice. The Hot sauce worked great on hard water spots. Way better than the Babes. I didn't think it could be beat. Have the Speed Gloss a shot after a friend gae me a sample. Holy crap. The Speed Gloss attacks the hard water spots just as easily but really leaves a coat of wax that is super noticeable. The Hot Sauce used to streak from time to time on hot days but the speed gloss does not. The other benefit I noticed was that after using the speed gloss the water really will not "set up". I have much less hard water spots at the end of the day and I could get away with just a towel it holds up so well.

Stuff ain't cheap. The Boat Candy and Boat bling stuff cost about the same. So if I am on a weekend trip I usually will just use 50/50 vin water or a 30/70 vin water (just depends in the water I am traveling to) if we are in an out a ton and then on final day hit it with the speed gloss.

For the interior I use each companies spray product. Teu both have a light conditioner and protectant built into their vinyl cleaner Both the Boat Bling and Boat Candy stuff seems to work identical for me. For tough stains I use Totally Awesome Cleaner. It can be had for a 1 at the Dollar Store. Works awesome. Very similar if not almost identical to a high end detail product called Malco. For a dollar you can't beat it.

Wish I would have read this earlier this week. I LOVE the Boat bling products.. I tried babes and if it wasn't so expensive I would have tossed it didn't work nearly as well so I had about the same experience. I have a black hull so it is noticeable. I just ordered more Bling though. Next order I will try the boat candy. Might pick up some anyway to compare.

Rockman
08-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Rockman - I feel better after seeing your picture. I thought I had a bunch of stuff but you win. very nice set-up

trick from fellow boaters, use a white vinegar and water mix in a spray bottle (70% water 30% vinegar), spray side of boat after done and use chamos to dry. It will remove water spots and scum. Works great and is super cheap.

I carry a 5 gallon bucket in my truck with all cleaning supplies and it is always ready when I need it

Yep, just like this? ;)

Rockman
08-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Rockman, you're gonna be on the 1st episode of boating hoarders? :D :D

Great set up man

LOL...I think they will be knocking on the door once we get the 3rd MC in the garage...;)

swatguy
08-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Wish I would have read this earlier this week. I LOVE the Boat bling products.. I tried babes and if it wasn't so expensive I would have tossed it didn't work nearly as well so I had about the same experience. I have a black hull so it is noticeable. I just ordered more Bling though. Next order I will try the boat candy. Might pick up some anyway to compare.

Yea. I reallly thought I had it made with the boat Bling. Their stuff was awesome. Then my friend did me in. I hate him and love him for it because like you at the time I just had out my order in for boat bling. So I ended up forgoing the vin/water solution on the busy trips to blow thru the boat bling a bit quicker. Sad I know , but hey the boat never looked better. As with the Boat Bling, BC offers a discount code to forum members as well so call them up.

Rockman
08-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Yea. I reallly thought I had it made with the boat Bling. Their stuff was awesome. Then my friend did me in. I hate him and love him for it because like you at the time I just had out my order in for boat bling. So I ended up forgoing the vin/water solution on the busy trips to blow thru the boat bling a bit quicker. Sad I know , but hey the boat never looked better. As with the Boat Bling, BC offers a discount code to forum members as well so call them up.

Where did you get the BB from? How high was the pricing?

swatguy
08-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Rock,

I ordered both the products straight from MFG. As you know boat specific detail products are scarce around here except for Babes or Ducky. It ends up being 10% off. Both companies are priced pretty similar. Off the top of my head i cant recall who was more, but it was like a 5-7 dollar difference for a gallon of the speed gloss and gallon of vinyl stuff vs the same of Hot Sauce and Vinyl Sauce. Usually at beginning of season they will offer up a more discounted group buy scenario that ends up being more like 20%. The shipping is the killer. If you ever find yourself up north let me know and I can give ya some of the Boat Candy stuff to try out. Oh and BTW it truly does smell like candy. Hahaha

Footin
08-14-2013, 07:37 PM
What kind of towel do you use for the Boat Bling or Babes?

I current use an "Absorber" chamose type towel, can I use it with BB or Babes or use a microfiber?

ProTour X9
08-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Just a shoutout reminder to empty the bilge/ballast tanks and check the bottom of the hull so as to not spread invasive species!

FrankSchwab
08-14-2013, 08:00 PM
The one additional thing I do is pull most of the seat cushions. We end up with so much water in the boat, that the gap between cushions (or between the seat base and the seat back) gets wet and stays wet, contributing to mildew growth on/in the vinyl.

Rockman
08-14-2013, 08:34 PM
The one additional thing I do is pull most of the seat cushions. We end up with so much water in the boat, that the gap between cushions (or between the seat base and the seat back) gets wet and stays wet, contributing to mildew growth on/in the vinyl.

Yes, great reminder. The driver seat especially...I knew one guy who owned a 205 for a number of years before I showed him the cushion came out...that was a nasty sight to say the least.:eek3:

Redstorm
08-14-2013, 08:49 PM

Another good tip!
Thanks!: :D

jgraham37128
08-14-2013, 10:14 PM
What kind of towel do you use for the Boat Bling or Babes?

I current use an "Absorber" chamose type towel, can I use it with BB or Babes or use a microfiber?

I always use a microfiber to wipe down both inside and out.

swatguy
08-14-2013, 11:47 PM
I have some designated "old bath towels "that I use. Microfiber would be ideal. Def not a chamois type absorber for the products I mention. I also use the 5gallon bucket storage with a few towels in there for my bucket o' cleaning supplies.

One other quick tip forgot to mention. Get a nice soft bristle brush to use in order to clean your vinyl. Your vinyl will thank you.

Foster20
08-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the input to everyone, I just ordered some Boat Candy products and microfiber cloths.

Redstorm
08-15-2013, 06:00 PM

I googled boat Candy and found that the company offers 20 - 30% off for other forums and their members. Any way we can get this deal for our forum?

bjames
08-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Once we are done I remove wet items from the boat. We dont wipe anything down. We trailer with cover off so that the boat has a chance to air out (1 hour commute). Then one we arrive home, cover the boat up. I usually clean the boat 2 - 3 times a season, unless it get dirty from rain/road grime.

fstaslp
08-15-2013, 08:36 PM
FYI: Performace Boat Candy Discount code for 20% off.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=968892#post968892

moski
08-15-2013, 09:26 PM
I use 12 oz of water and 1 ounce of Sno-Bol cleaner (its a toilet bowl cleaner) in a spray bottle. As soon as i pull it out of the water while its still wet, i spray it on and wipe off right away. boat looks brand new. Sno-bol cost around $4.00 + tax.

_fng_
08-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Any other suggestions to get the interior dry after a day on the water other than fans? With fat sacs and people getting in and out of the boat, the interior gets damp and a couple fans mounted in garage pointed at the interior doesn't work as well as I'd hope. I leave out in the sun to dry out when I've got time but we ride in the evening often.

swatguy
08-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Fstaslp beat me to it. Thanks a ton for posting that up. Just got my reply from them as well for posting the code here.

Rockman
08-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Any other suggestions to get the interior dry after a day on the water other than fans? With fat sacs and people getting in and out of the boat, the interior gets damp and a couple fans mounted in garage pointed at the interior doesn't work as well as I'd hope. I leave out in the sun to dry out when I've got time but we ride in the evening often.

Buy a new shop vac that can be used for wet or dry and strictly use it for wet for the boat. That helps get at least most of the water out of the carpet and in any areas hard to get with a towel.

TOO-TALL
08-15-2013, 11:27 PM
I've have used a wet/dry vac on really wet carpet. it works really well.
Another trick I use is too put down a dry towel on the wet areas and then step on the towel.soaks it up good.

_fng_
08-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys, I ordered a wet dry vac from Amazon(with one click purchases they make it too easy to spend money). I'll round up some old towels as well.

SILENTxNOISE
08-16-2013, 12:11 AM
FYI: Performace Boat Candy Discount code for 20% off.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=968892#post968892

Heck yea! Just ordered two bottles of Speed Gloss!

Thanks for posting up!