PDA

View Full Version : Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

lukedeuce
08-14-2013, 12:11 PM
We just found out we are getting a free weekend in a time share at Lake Geneva, WI as a wedding present. I am not sure at this time if it will be on the lake or in town. We of course would like to spend time on the lake, but are rapidly running out of time for usable summer weekends. Anyone on the forum have any experience on this lake or the area? Attractions we should plan to see? If we don't have anytime left in the summer, would there still be enough to do in fall/winter?

If we plan for next summer, we would love to meet up with some fellow TT'ers as I see there is an MC dealer really close!

Thanks guys!

mikeg205
08-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Lake Geneva is good early morning and late evening......sea walls everywhere make it tough to ski mid day... big boats on water make many rollers.... Rockman was just there... Gordy's has some good food on the Fontana side... Don't forget the New Glarius Beer... ;)

lukedeuce
08-14-2013, 12:18 PM
My parents live in wi, so I always get some new glarius when in the area. Looking at the overall size of the lake, I figured it wouldn't be a midday ski lake. But which ones are that aren't private?

cbryan70
08-14-2013, 12:20 PM
lake is decent size.......your head will hurt if you put your boat out there. Hope for no wind. Nice town, another lake is about 15 min away called lake delavan...sometimes that lake is less busy. There is also lauderdale lakes that is not to far from there IIRC.

Rockman
08-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Lake Geneva during the summer sucks unless you plan on driving a 35 foot wally boat all over the place or plan on just taking the kids tubing.

We normally ski on the north side which has usually descent water to get out early.

The south half of the lake is a zoo at 9am during the summer. However, the new MC dealer is at the south end right across the street from the marina where we stayed this summer.

Maybe after the kids go back to school the traffic will be less and the water better.

I would try the surrounding lakes to ski such as lake Como (shallow) or Lauderdale...better chance of finding flat water there.

Lake Geneva area is cool for the bar scene, restaurants and shops but otherwise, it is a smaller lake town for the most part. If you go to the bar at the marina on a Saturday night, be sure to wear your bad golf pants and a Hawaiian shirt or you will feel left out amonst the the 80 year old locals.:rolleyes:

Here is a quick pic of the marina...

BARE5
08-14-2013, 05:59 PM
All lakes will be better after next Wednesday when school is back in session. Try Whitewater lake during the week. Awesome bare footing there.

madcityskier
08-14-2013, 11:24 PM
My best advice is to forget the New Glarus and get into Lake Louie, Capitol Brewery, Tyranena, Point, and Ale Asylum. New Glarus is good but all those are easily as good IMHO.

Traxx822
08-14-2013, 11:57 PM
My best advice is to forget the New Glarus and get into Lake Louie, Capitol Brewery, Tyranena, Point, and Ale Asylum. New Glarus is good but all those are easily as good IMHO.

The next time I'm headed north I'll let you know and do you think you could round all that up for me?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Nordicron
08-14-2013, 11:59 PM
The next time I'm headed north I'll let you know and do you think you could round all that up for me?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Heck I bet he has most of that in his fridge right now! :)

h2oski89
08-17-2013, 01:19 AM
Have a great time, I grew up on Lake Como. It's a small lake, 1/2 mile wide and about 3 miles of skiable waters. Average depth is about 5-6 feet, the west end of the lake is deeper averaging around 8-10 feet deep. I've never hit bottom with an inboard (an i/o is a different story). It's a weedy lake, it's a mud bottom lake, if the wind waves are 4 inches high, I don't even bother dropping my boat in. I can get glass water almost anywhere except for a North East wind. Boat traffic is pretty light compared to any of the other lakes, on the week days you'll likely be one of the only boats on the lake!

http://press.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=904&pictureid=5548
http://press.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=904&pictureid=5564