PDA

View Full Version : "Winged" rudder?

Alan Weller
08-14-2013, 07:14 AM
My 2001 PS190 has this rudder which supposedly pushes up on the stern, thereby causing the bow to stay down at speed. Since I use the boat for cruising only without pulling a skier, I would rather reduce the wetted area and achieve better fuel economy by replacing this rudder with a standard one. Are there any issues with handling or performance that may come to light with this swap?

jkski
08-14-2013, 08:24 AM
The winged rudder or lifting rudder was on the 2001 and 2002 non TT boats from what I recall and it's purpose was to do exactly as you stated. In 2003, all production 190/197's went to a "hooked" hull and got rid of the winged rudder. The concern I would have in removing it would be that the boat needs some type of lift in rear to keep it from porpoising at speed. The early 209's that did not have a winged rudder or a hooked hull would porpoise badly when on plane.
I doubt that the winged rudder is causing significant drag to the point where you would notice a large difference in fuel economy or at least enough to warrant making the change, but I am not expert.
Hope this helps.

Skipper
08-14-2013, 08:50 AM
I installed a winged rudder on my '95 Prostar. There was not any noticeable difference in fuel economy following the installation.

Alan Weller
08-15-2013, 06:51 AM
I installed a winged rudder on my '95 Prostar. There was not any noticeable difference in fuel economy following the installation.
Why did you install this rudder? Was there an issue with porpoising, or did it reduce your top speed?

88 PS190
08-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Why did you install this rudder? Was there an issue with porpoising, or did it reduce your top speed?

easier/cheaper than having someone hook the hull.

Fact is - the lack of an outdrive, and the lack of steps/V are going to cut your speed and fuel efficiency with this type of boat.

It may not be the best of choice for your application.

sp00ky
08-15-2013, 10:01 PM
My 2001 PS190 has this rudder which supposedly pushes up on the stern, thereby causing the bow to stay down at speed. Since I use the boat for cruising only without pulling a skier, I would rather reduce the wetted area and achieve better fuel economy by replacing this rudder with a standard one. Are there any issues with handling or performance that may come to light with this swap?

Wait, you have a Mastercraft TOWBOAT and you don't ski? How about selling it and get a nice IO?

Skipper
08-15-2013, 10:59 PM

I was on a quest to reduce the rooster tail and flatten out the wake on my '95 Prostar. I figured that if it worked on the 200-whatever years that it would make a noticeable improvement on my boat too.

I can't say that I noticed a difference in the wake table. It certainly improved steering control. With my stock rudder the steering is a bit loose. With the winged rudder it was not an issue.

Alan Weller
08-17-2013, 05:51 AM
I just like the design and inboard configuration of the MC. I do pull a skier friend occasionally and find that that to be fun also.

rodltg2
08-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Leave it. If you did replace it , I doubt you would save enough gas to cover the cost to replace which I would guess to be just north of $600. That's alot of gas !

Alan Weller
08-17-2013, 11:58 AM
I was actually going to cut the wing off and then grind and polish it down so that it is smooth, not actually remove the rudder.

fstaslp
08-17-2013, 12:18 PM
will it fit on my 230vrs maristar? i'll trade you

Alan Weller
08-18-2013, 07:32 AM
I do not know about replacement on the Maristar. Anyway, I have decided to stay with the rudder- wings or not. It's a minor thing anyway.