PDA

View Full Version : Poser POS ruins my glass

sp00ky
08-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Ok it's last Sunday morning my alarm goes off at 7a to get on the water. All I have to to is pour my coffee get my board shorts on and walk to the dock. I didn't want to get up but I did cause I know Lanier is gonna be nuts by 11a.

My 9 year old son is bouncing off the walls water is beautiful and I tell him I'm gonna let you break that glass.

He suits up and we turn the corner to head north and it seems rougher than normal. And what do we find at 7:30a this POS poser in a Tige doing ******** figure 8s and power turns and doughnuts. Not pulling anybody. Completely screwing up the water. We turn around and then he follows us out. *******.

Also Lanier water has been crappy cause it's over pool and the wake rebound is terrible a couple of boats screw up the water for at least 30 minutes.

mikeg205
08-13-2013, 10:13 PM
I hate when people are jerks... time to get up earlier... break dawn, break gas, break glass.. ;)

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Maybe he had steering cable issues and was "testing" out his repair job.:rolleyes:

Quick
08-13-2013, 10:14 PM
I feel your pain. I also ski Lanier and it is full of idiots!!

CruisinGA
08-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Only reliable decent water I have found on Lanier is in "Ski Cove" behind Bald Ridge Marina.
People will actually take turns back there.

These days I pretty much only use Lanier to test my stand up jet skis after working on them.

bigmac
08-14-2013, 01:15 AM
So, the guy was there before you? How is he a poser-jerk-POS? Sounds to me like another boater out enjoying the water who happens to get up earlier than you.

Redstorm
08-14-2013, 01:54 AM
So, the guy was there before you? How is he a poser-jerk-POS? Sounds to me like another boater out enjoying the water who happens to get up earlier than you.

I was kinda thinkin this as well. But if I was choppin up the waters I would kinda back off a little depending on the size of the lake.

Redstorm
08-14-2013, 02:10 AM
Also...POS = positively outstanding service. ;)

Skipper
08-14-2013, 08:00 AM
I am sure that this guy was enjoying the water while turning figure 8's and doing donuts on the early morning glass. We totally have to respect everyone regardless of how they choose to enjoy the water...(harp back ground, birds chirping, and bunnies playing with foxes).

Really! Sounds like the guy was an idiot! Not someoby posing to look like an idiot, but an actual certified idiot.

The only way to correct that behavior is with a shovel. Shovel to the guys face or shovel to dig a private lake. Since it is really time consuming and laborious to dig a lake it would probably be easier to put a shovel to his face...but that would be wrong, we totally respect every other boaters right to enjoy the water in any way they see fit regardless of how disruptive that behavior may be.

Still, I always carry a shovel.

jgraham37128
08-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Same thing happened to me one day. Guy just kept coming in the cove messing everything up. Caught his a$$ loading his boat at the ramp that doesn't have a no wake zone, while I had full ballast, blew by him about 15ft from loading on the trailer and you should've seen them scrambling.

Sorry dude, didn't see you loading there. Jacka$$!!!!!

He might not of knew what he was doing in the cove, but I bet he understands now how other peoples wake can affect what you are trying to accomplish!

bigmac
08-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Same thing happened to me one day. Guy just kept coming in the cove messing everything up. Caught his a$$ loading his boat at the ramp that doesn't have a no wake zone, while I had full ballast, blew by him about 15ft from loading on the trailer and you should've seen them scrambling.

He might not of knew what he was doing in the cove, but I bet he understands now how other peoples wake can affect what you are trying to accomplish!

Awesome. Whoever said that wakeboat owners aren't good ambassadors?

76S&S
08-14-2013, 08:58 AM

I'm sure he will now remember your boat and always refrain from making waves in your pressence...:rolleyes:

CantRepeat
08-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Same thread, different day.

Its a public body of water so you gotta take what you can get.

bigmac
08-14-2013, 09:15 AM

Exactly. Just another boater(s) who believes that their use of the their boat on the lake is more valid than the other guy's.

LTRGUY261
08-14-2013, 09:26 AM
It is what it is man. Sorry it ruined your morning but we all need to understand that unless you literally own the lake none of us get to act like we do own them.

Approaching someone like this and explaining to them what you want to do can work wonders. "Hey man, nice boat! I would like to throw my boy in here to ride some nice glass. Is there any way you could mess around over there and we can have this spot over here?"

Of course instead of that you could wait to try and damage their boat at the dock like JGraham said he did.

Some people are new to the waters and sports and really don't know any better. Some people don't realize they are messing up what others want to do. Try to explain it to them without throwing a fit or swinging a shovel, it seems to work more often than not if you have the right attitude.

I know if someone came and complimented my boat and asked me nicely to do something I would respond much better than them trying to swamp my boat or damage it at the dock.

JGraham what would have happened if that boat at the dock came sideways and pinched a kid between the boat and trailer or dock? How would that have ended? With the dad hunting you down? With the police there waiting for you?

Us more experienced boaters need to try and help others understand what is culturally acceptable. OP you should have stopped the guy and talked, maybe asked him to be a third on your boat for a pull or two.

sp00ky
08-14-2013, 09:27 AM
I was kinda thinkin this as well. But if I was choppin up the waters I would kinda back off a little depending on the size of the lake.

Of course he has a RIGHT to be there it's America. But why have a pricey tow boat just to get up early and tear up the water without pulling anyone. Even though it was a Tige it was a newer one.

sp00ky
08-14-2013, 09:38 AM
It is what it is man. Sorry it ruined your morning but we all need to understand that unless you literally own the lake none of us get to act like we do own them.

Approaching someone like this and explaining to them what you want to do can work wonders. "Hey man, nice boat! I would like to throw my boy in here to ride some nice glass. Is there any way you could mess around over there and we can have this spot over here?"

Of course instead of that you could wait to try and damage their boat at the dock like JGraham said he did.

Some people are new to the waters and sports and really don't know any better. Some people don't realize they are messing up what others want to do. Try to explain it to them without throwing a fit or swinging a shovel, it seems to work more often than not if you have the right attitude.

I know if someone came and complimented my boat and asked me nicely to do something I would respond much better than them trying to swamp my boat or damage it at the dock.

JGraham what would have happened if that boat at the dock came sideways and pinched a kid between the boat and trailer or dock? How would that have ended? With the dad hunting you down? With the police there waiting for you?

Us more experienced boaters need to try and help others understand what is culturally acceptable. OP you should have stopped the guy and talked, maybe asked him to be a third on your boat for a pull or two.

Yeah I understand all that I was just venting a little. I was just amazed because it used to be that if you saw inboard you knew that the driver could be held to a higher standard. Now there are so many inboards with board racks and boards who don't do anything but blast their wet sounds and cruise around the lake. Posers!

I know he wasn't a maliciously doing something just didn't know. It didn't ruin my morning as there was glass elsewhere but it was a jaw dropping moment.

LTRGUY261
08-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Yeah I understand all that I was just venting a little. I was just amazed because it used to be that if you saw inboard you knew that the driver could be held to a higher standard. Now there are so many inboards with board racks and boards who don't do anything but blast their wet sounds and cruise around the lake. Posers!

I know he wasn't a maliciously doing something just didn't know. It didn't ruin my morning as there was glass elsewhere but it was a jaw dropping moment.

I understand the venting, this is a great place to do it. Glad you had glass elsewhere as well.

If I had to bet I would say the dude just got the boat and has no experience at all. He just wanted to get out and run it around. I had a friend take me out and try to do the same with a new boat, so I explained what he was doing (ruining the water). That is why I try to engage with them and give them some tips on how most Boarders and skiers operate. New boat owners are normally very receptive and greatful for inputs from old hats!

fletch_n_me
08-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah it's an issue of courtesy - if I am just our cruising I am mindful to stay out of prime skiing areas. Those who aren't as courteous or knowledgeable are annoying but until I find a private lake, it's just the nature of the beast.

jgraham37128
08-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Hey you can tell who is new and who's not. Everyone has a right to the lake. It wasn't like I was looking out for this guy he just happened to be loading up close to where we were surfing. There were no kids involved, had there been I probably wouldn't of even went his way. Again I very seldom find myself in this position, I get back in a cove and a guy comes back there pulling his kid on a tube, I'm all for it I understand it can be rough in the main body for small kids, that doesn't bother me. These were just kids (20 year old's) who were in their dad's boat and one of his buddies probably said hey go by him and keep the waves coming. It was no hard feelings on my part. I just thought the guys are thinking they are so cool. I've been there.

I've seen cases where we went out bare footing in the morning at 6am and guy in a bass boat did the exact same thing was going left and right, right were we was. Now he wasn't testing his steering he decided he would like to rip the water up so we would have to wait, and we did. Not sure why he did because we weren't even near where he was fishing, he just come out of a cove and did it. Never seen the guy again, but if I would caught him at the dock with full ballast he would've got the same treatment.

Again in my case I pushed these guys around with my wake, I could have sent his butt up to the shore, but they were kids and I cut them some slack, just a little rough water while loading up. Just enough to get their attention.

99% of time I find everyone accommodating at the lake we are there to have a good time, but I'm also aware of my wake when I go by a fisherman, or anyone else, I don't want to push them on bank. I understand they are fishing along the bank and if they are back in the cove first I will go to another cove. If they come in while we're boarding or surfing then I assume they are aware of what we are doing and I will stay, but again I still do my best not to push them around.

bigmac
08-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Of course he has a RIGHT to be there it's America. But why have a pricey tow boat just to get up early and tear up the water without pulling anyone. Even though it was a Tige it was a newer one.

How does that make him a rude POS? Who are we to judge the manner in which others want to enjoy the lake or what kind of boat they prefer to drive?

Get up earlier next time. If the Tige guy then comes into your cover after you're already there and ruins your water, THEN we can all agree on the rudeness component.

LTRGUY261
08-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Hey you can tell who is new and who's not. Everyone has a right to the lake. It wasn't like I was looking out for this guy he just happened to be loading up close to where we were surfing. There were no kids involved, had there been I probably wouldn't of even went his way. Again I very seldom find myself in this position, I get back in a cove and a guy comes back there pulling his kid on a tube, I'm all for it I understand it can be rough in the main body for small kids, that doesn't bother me. These were just kids (20 year old's) who were in their dad's boat and one of his buddies probably said hey go by him and keep the waves coming. It was no hard feelings on my part. I just thought the guys are thinking they are so cool. I've been there.

I've seen cases where we went out bare footing in the morning at 6am and guy in a bass boat did the exact same thing was going left and right, right were we was. Now he wasn't testing his steering he decided he would like to rip the water up so we would have to wait, and we did. Not sure why he did because we weren't even near where he was fishing, he just come out of a cove and did it. Never seen the guy again, but if I would caught him at the dock with full ballast he would've got the same treatment.

Again in my case I pushed these guys around with my wake, I could have sent his butt up to the shore, but they were kids and I cut them some slack, just a little rough water while loading up. Just enough to get their attention.

99% of time I find everyone accommodating at the lake we are there to have a good time, but I'm also aware of my wake when I go by a fisherman, or anyone else, I don't want to push them on bank. I understand they are fishing along the bank and if they are back in the cove first I will go to another cove. If they come in while we're boarding or surfing then I assume they are aware of what we are doing and I will stay, but again I still do my best not to push them around.

Copy all man, your first message left a lot of this to my imagination, so I played devil's advocate (somebody has to right?).

You sound like most people I encounter on lakes, I will say I have seen fisherman ruin the water for boarders/skiers just because they don't want you out there. Those guys really tick me off, but I let it go quickly so I am not steaming mad all day.

TxsRiverRat
08-14-2013, 10:49 AM
This is exactly the reason I joined a ski club with its own site.

east tx skier
08-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Yeah, it's public water. It's nice to have it all to yourself, but, short of dangerous behavior, you've got to share.

As for me, when we are heading up or down river and not pulling a skier, if a boat is approaching, pulling a rider, where I can do so safely, I will pull the boat back to idle and, then, full stop to give them the best water I can. Once they pass, I go on my way.

Now even though that's the way I like to treat other riders on "our" lake, I don't shake my fist or have bad thoughts about people who don't do the same (or even those who have the right idea, but slow to 5 mph leaving me a huge wake to cross).

I have been doing this long enough to know that not everyone looks at it the same way I do. So, YMMV.

east tx skier
08-14-2013, 10:53 AM
This is exactly the reason I joined a ski club with its own site.

Still doesn't explain why you chose to be in charge of it.

Some people are gluttons for punishment. :)

sp00ky
08-14-2013, 11:14 AM
How does that make him a rude POS? Who are we to judge the manner in which others want to enjoy the lake or what kind of boat they prefer to drive?

Get up earlier next time. If the Tige guy then comes into your cover after you're already there and ruins your water, THEN we can all agree on the rudeness component.

It was a little tongue in cheek and I never said rude just a clueless Poser. You have to have a clue to be rude.

Redstorm
08-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Copy all man, your first message left a lot of this to my imagination, so I played devil's advocate (somebody has to right?).

You sound like most people I encounter on lakes, I will say I have seen fisherman ruin the water for boarders/skiers just because they don't want you out there. Those guys really tick me off, but I let it go quickly so I am not steaming mad all day.

Everyone has their hobby! Put yourself in the shoes of the fisherman. He's takin advantage of the early morning fishing and out comes a $#it load of waves from a surfer. None stop. So he does what u did. Pulls out and messes with your water. He's just floating calmly and he gets slammed. It's all about the respect like East Tex say's!

bigmac
08-14-2013, 11:44 AM
It was a little tongue in cheek and I never said rude just a clueless Poser. You have to have a clue to be rude.

What makes him clueless and you not?

I'm sorry. I've always been puzzled by the arrogant self-righteousness of many tow-boat owners, or skiers, or wakeboarders, or surfers. Somehow a lot of them tend to view their use of the water as being more valid, or more important than others. Those others then get labeled as "clueless", or posers, or worse, with a somehow less valid claim to use the water in a manner that they enjoy. I agree that courtesy should rule the day, but otherwise...first come first served, eh?

Indyxc
08-14-2013, 11:55 AM
There are a couple dimensions to this.

As public water, obviously everyone is entitled to be out there, and do as they please as long as they aren't being reckless. It is nice when other have common sense and at least transition to a different part of the lake when you are out there. If I head out early, and see someone skiing on one side of the lake, I don't decide to wake board right there. I go to a different part of the lake.

It is a bit ironic though in general, because as group, wakeboats are the worst for water condition. I can't imagine being an old fisherman, and doing some early morning fishing, and having a wakeboat and surfer come by. I'd be pissed.

Traxx822
08-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Spooky, Just think of him as a very big Jet Ski. You can forgive a jet skier right? They are all idiots :D

sp00ky
08-14-2013, 12:13 PM
What makes him clueless and you not?

I'm sorry. I've always been puzzled by the arrogant self-righteousness of many tow-boat owners, or skiers, or wakeboarders, or surfers. Somehow a lot of them tend to view their use of the water as being more valid, or more important than others. Those others then get labeled as "clueless", or posers, or worse, with a somehow less valid claim to use the water in a manner that they enjoy. I agree that courtesy should rule the day, but otherwise...first come first served, eh?

Well it's 7:30a hes driving a $50k Tige towing nobody, boards in his board rack, churning up an otherwise peaceful cove.

First come sure and I didn't confront the guy or wave my fists or run him down. He is still a clueless poser as he was not discourteous but cause he didnt have a clue what he was doing.

He's clueless as to what his boat was made for. Usually don't see these guys until after 11a.

sp00ky
08-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Spooky, Just think of him as a very big Jet Ski. You can forgive a jet skier right? They are all idiots :D

Right a jet skier I get .. I have just never seen a guy in a towboat using it like a jet ski at 7:30 a in a cove.

So he is in fact a CLUELESS POSER. How can you debate this fact?

Traxx822
08-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Right a jet skier I get .. I have just never seen a guy in a towboat using it like a jet ski at 7:30 a in a cove.

So he is in fact a CLUELESS POSER. How can you debate this fact?

Because I have done it :D

bigmac
08-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Well it's 7:30a hes driving a $50k Tige towing nobody, boards in his board rack, churning up an otherwise peaceful cove.

First come sure and I didn't confront the guy or wave my fists or run him down. He is still a clueless poser as he was not discourteous but cause he didnt have a clue what he was doing.

He's clueless as to what his boat was made for. Usually don't see these guys until after 11a.

Right! Exactly! Arrogant self-righteousness.

Didn't you say he followed you out? Perhaps he was clearing the cove so you could use it?

sp00ky
08-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Wow I had no idea this would bring about such debate.

Who on this forum does not relish glass waters? Who wouldn't be saddened by watching a towboat ruin that glass by acting like a jet ski? At 7:30a?

I never said he doesn't have a RIGHT to be there. Or there should be a law.. Or come join me as we hunt him down and tie him to a tree and beat em.

Skipper
08-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Sp00ky,
This is nothing man. I have taken worse beatings on this site for less. Hell, I been trying to dig a ski lake in my back yard with just a shovel for two months now. Probably won't fit a six ball course but I might be able to launch the boat and sit on my own smooth water.

The argument always boils down to the fact that it is public water and everyone is entitled to do just about anything they want on that water. I think it is really stupid for some guy to be out tearing up the water early in the morning. But golly gee whiz Wally, it is public water. He can do whatever he wants.

Just let it go before the mob mentality takes over and you really get a walloping. I am sure that put in the same situation the people who are giving you grief would think, at least for a moment, that other guy is really a jerk. But the rays of sunshine would come beaming down from the clouds and they would just smile, drive back home, and bake some wonderful bran muffins.

We all like smooth water.

mcparadise
08-14-2013, 01:21 PM

Nice Analysis!

Traxx822
08-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Wow I had no idea this would bring about such debate.

Who on this forum does not relish glass waters? Who wouldn't be saddened by watching a towboat ruin that glass by acting like a jet ski? At 7:30a?

I never said he doesn't have a RIGHT to be there. Or there should be a law.. Or come join me as we hunt him down and tie him to a tree and beat em.

Spooky,

I'm sure you are reasonable. And yes a lot of people really jump on people here like Skipper said. I wasn't jumping on you. But when you started saying "Who does that at 7am" I'm thinking to myself ... man, I get down to my boat, by myself, early and Drive my boat for a cruise and maybe screw around jumping my own wake on my boat, without anyone looking heck yeah I'm gonna. Think about it.

You have never driven your boat, just to have fun driving it?

And he followed you out. He probably saw you and said "oh man, I'm gonna get out of here so this guy (you) can have the cove."

TxsRiverRat
08-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Still doesn't explain why you chose to be in charge of it.

Some people are gluttons for punishment. :)

I think seeing mediocrity for too long motivated it :)

chriscraftmatt1976
08-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Whether this guy was an idiot, or realized what he had done and was trying to get out of the way, there are idiots out there. I've had my water spoiled many a time, shrugged it off, and hoped for better next time, just like you.

What else can ya do...

sp00ky
08-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Sp00ky,
This is nothing man. I have taken worse beatings on this site for less. Hell, I been trying to dig a ski lake in my back yard with just a shovel for two months now. Probably won't fit a six ball course but I might be able to launch the boat and sit on my own smooth water.

The argument always boils down to the fact that it is public water and everyone is entitled to do just about anything they want on that water. I think it is really stupid for some guy to be out tearing up the water early in the morning. But golly gee whiz Wally, it is public water. He can do whatever he wants.

Just let it go before the mob mentality takes over and you really get a walloping. I am sure that put in the same situation the people who are giving you grief would think, at least for a moment, that other guy is really a jerk. But the rays of sunshine would come beaming down from the clouds and they would just smile, drive back home, and bake some wonderful bran muffins.

We all like smooth water.

yep I didn't realize ther were so many pastors on this forum with no ill feelings toward their fellow man.

Bless me father for I have sinned. I had bad thoughts to a fellow boater, a fellow human being and THEN I voiced those ill feelings onto a website forum.

I will take my lashes with the ruler now. Thank you Team Talk may I have another?

chriscraftmatt1976
08-14-2013, 04:24 PM
yep I didn't realize ther were so many pastors on this forum with no ill feelings toward their fellow man.

Bless me father for I have sinned. I had bad thoughts to a fellow boater, a fellow human being and THEN I voiced those ill feelings onto a website forum.

I will take my lashes with the ruler now. Thank you Team Talk may I have another?

Lol. Dang. Don't taze me bra. :)

sp00ky
08-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Lol. Dang. Don't taze me bra. :)

Lol:banana:

TxsRiverRat
08-14-2013, 05:10 PM
A lady emailed the club today inquiring about ski lessons... She was inquiring for her husband, who wants to learn to run the course. A bit odd, unless they have access to a course at their home lake which is 52 miles away. She sited distance and cost as an issue to joining...

I should just direct her to this thread so she can see the BS you public lake guys deal with... If I didn't have my ski club, I'd be in another club, or buy a membership somewhere, or a lot on a ski lake.

This is what I told her:

Re the distance:

Why do I do it?

1. I was tired of the public boat ramp idiot parade
2. I was tired of the drunken madness of the public lakes
3. The #1 reason was I was so so tired of skiing on bad water

How do I do it?

I store my boat 1 mile away from the lake, so towing there is easy and cheaper.

What it really cost?

Compared to all other ski clubs in the country, our club is the best value in waterskiing, I have zero doubt about that. 2 sites, 2 courses, 3 docks, a jump, and activities such as a campout on a private lake in the spring, a very popular ski league that has improved skiers from not running the course to national competition levels - i have people waiting in line to be a part of it... tournaments, ski shows, polar bear ski days and an xmas party. Cost for a family of four? $280 for a family of 4, plus a 1 time initiation fee of $100. Private ski lake memberships cost $2500 PER person, and provide nothing other than ONE site. This is why I say our club is the best deal in ski club membership because I have no doubt it truly is.

I am one of those people that once I made the jump to a private lake, there is no going back. Only 1 boat skis on our site at a time, and we have great conditions and a safety factor that no public lake can boast. I find it amazing our membership isnt higher, I wont go near a public body of water. We have a family based club, we all know each other, and we all get along so well, its like we are family.

Hope this helps you understand the benefits of membership, you can not put a true cost on pure greatness and family fun time with this club.

bobx1
08-14-2013, 07:04 PM
$280 per year????

If that is the case then that is a great deal. Maybe such a good deal you should consider a price increase.

I see why you are so spoiled on a private lake.

By the way, do you guys have surf lessons? :D

TayMC197
08-14-2013, 07:12 PM

I wouldn't of done that, people can get hurt doing that. A boat lunging forward could hit the guy manning the winch or throw people out of the boat into a tailgate. Very tempting I know but think of your actions for the safety of people.

mikeg205
08-15-2013, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=? $280 for a family of 4, plus a 1 time initiation fee of $100. Private ski lake .[/QUOTE]

$280? --- sign me up... I'm in... dang too far away!!!

GoneBoatN
08-15-2013, 02:19 AM
So why don't I even consider the private lake thing - with 1100 miles of water way in the Delta, it's not that hard to find yourself a spot you can be happy with. Sorry, just had to say it.

Even though I cringe when I see a tuber doing Crazy Ivans, or that guy doing power turns to pick up the fallen rider (not injured nor in any danger)... I have the ability to think/move past the "it's all about me" syndrome. Life is too short to go through it ticked off at everybody else.

One of the things you have to consider is that there are many "new" boaters every year. Just about every time I see "the guy" doing power turns to pick up his rider, I notice that his rider is not that good. That to me implies not very experienced. The funny thing is that the driver is creating the very chop his rider has to contend with - they don't even realize that. I would think if you asked them, they would tell you about how safe of a boater they are. As the expression goes - not everyone is the sharpest tool in the shed.

WRT the amusement factor at the ramp, you have to pay good money for that kind of entertainment else where. I only hope to stay un-involved in that stuff when it comes to my boat. The marina we go to has a good restaurant and it is hard to find an available seat in the areas facing the ramp - go figure. Fortunately, all the seating there actually has a decent view of the ramp. They have really good fish tacos and the rest of their menu is equally tasty. Dinner and a comedy show all inclusive.

scott023
08-15-2013, 02:34 AM

Its a public body of water so you gotta take what you can get.

You said it. Take the good with the bad.