PDA

View Full Version : Winterization - hire or can owner handle?

packman312
08-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Guys, first year of owning an x25. I am always open to maintenance and repairs. Wondering if the winterization process is manageable in your view. What is the view? If doable, are there links to the steps that have been shared here before so I dont miss anything?

Thanks in advance!

Packman

drschemel
08-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Winterization doable for most people. It helps a lot if you can find someone who has done it before to walk you through the steps. Keep a check list like you are flying an aircraft. You don't want to miss anything. The exact process depends on what motor you have and what kind of balast system. There are several threads about this. Use the search tool!

mikeg205
08-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Winterization questions not allowed until September in this hemisphere.... :(

packman312
08-13-2013, 07:00 PM
understood on the Sept ref....just trying to prep if internal/externally sourced

medicmoose
08-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Winterization questions not allowed until September in this hemisphere.... :(

+1 for that sound and qualified advice.

I did all of my winterization which may have added a few grey hairs to my head on the first go around. But, after having done it (following advice on this forum as well as some other on-line tips) it became a piece of cake. A little time on your part can save you a ton of money. As well, I always believed that I did a better job than my dealer....due to my vested interest in the boat being worked on. :D

Good luck to you...doing it yourself will make you that much more knowledgable about your boat!

bigmac
08-13-2013, 07:25 PM
It do-able. Not difficult, just time consuming. One of those fall chores I now prefer to pay to have done, partly so I don't have to do it, and partly so I know it's done right. My dealer "pickles" the whole engine and heater with -100 propylene glycol. No freezing, and keeps seals and impeller from drying out.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2013, 07:30 PM
In addition to winterization, check with your boat insurance policy to see if you have freeze protection. Only a $30 add on for my policy.

mikeg205
08-13-2013, 08:57 PM
In addition to winterization, check with your boat insurance policy to see if you have freeze protection. Only a $30 add on for my policy.

You don't have 'nuff MCOCD if ya need a ins... policy... ;)

ttu
08-13-2013, 09:04 PM
it's not hard to do yourself. I think eastie has a check list. I have been doing it for years and never a problem. It takes me about 45 minutes to knock it out.

JimN
08-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Guys, first year of owning an x25. I am always open to maintenance and repairs. Wondering if the winterization process is manageable in your view. What is the view? If doable, are there links to the steps that have been shared here before so I dont miss anything?

Thanks in advance!

Packman

Depends. Do you have a lot of tools, supplies and a place to do it that won't bother others with noise and lots of water? Do you know all of the steps that are needed? If you think you do, double the number of steps and you'll be close to having all of them. This is partially because the trailer is included in winterization, if everything is done as needed.

bturner2
08-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Anyone with basic skills that has the time and the will to learn something new can do this. it's not rocket science. Get a good check list, do your research and check off one item at a time. When you're done I guarantee you'll have learned something useful and know more about your boat. And who knows when you're out on the water one day and something goes wrong you may be able to fix it yourself.

Another thought is that not all winterizations are created equal. I can guarantee you the procedure I do on my boat is much more comprehensive than what I've seen at any dealer or shop in my area but that's because it's my boat and I want it ready for spring. You'd be surprised what some places consider winterization and how much they'll charge for a poor job. You really need a good shop with a good reputation that you can trust to do it right.

I do agree with Jim's statement but it's not like you need a bunch of exotic tools and the ones you buy will pay for themselves after two seasons. Maybe less depending on how much of a haircut you get by the locals. Start by looking up winterization on this site and go through the check list. Where you have questions do more research. You can always get help here. Suck it up and learn to do something for yourself..... :D

JimN
08-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Another thing (well, a bunch of others)- if you ski/boat with any size of group, call around and negotiate a bulk price on oils, filters, chemicals (fuel additives, anti-freeze, carb/throttle body cleaner, spray silicone for anti-corrosion, brake fluid), etc. If you all have a common place to meet that won't cause problems fro neighbors WRT noise, water runoff, etc, do it in groups so the more experienced can help the newer boat owners. Also, you could chip in for a large watering trough (I got one that holds 50+ gallon RubberMaid at Fleet Farm) and install a splash guard so the exhaust won't overshoot, wasting it. I used a piece of old conveyor belt and screwed it to the trough. I also had a battery with a remote switch that powered a 1000 gpm bilge pump for running stern-drive boats (the water intake didn't always go deep enough in the trough). If you buy a drum of anti-freeze (-50F), it should take care of everyone's boats and when you run the engine on pure anti-freeze, there's no chance of having water pockets in the engine. Drain the engines before starting and use oil booms to absorb oil-based stuff that ends up in the trough.

SP Maristar
08-14-2013, 10:58 AM
I did all my own car repair in high school because i couldn't afford a mechanic so I do have some skills. Now i pay to have most car work done because i just don't want to do it myself. BUT, i did my own winterization last year. I would highly recommend it as you learn a lot about your boat in the process. When something happens to you on the water you will be much better prepared and relaxed to deal with it.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 11:32 AM
You don't have 'nuff MCOCD if ya need a ins... policy... ;)

Oh I have more than enough MCOCD pal. But for $30 I would have too much DUMMY not to pay it.

Incidentally, I pulled up my floor sections and scrubbed my bilge on Sunday. That should qualify for 'nuff MCOCD.;)

Successfully learning how to winterize you boat will put you on a closer level with all the operations and functions of your boat. This should make you a more effective boat operator in knowing when something isn't working quite right and hopefully catching small issues before they a big problem.

mastercraft1995
08-14-2013, 12:01 PM
It will cost you $300 to $400 for winterization for a job you can do and know that it's done right for about $40 to $50. It takes a about 6 to 8 hours but in those hours I also remove all water spots and wax the boat.

Just about every person I know that pay's someone has had a issue with the winterization. Cracked ballast pumps, clogged fuel filter, shredded impeller, nothing like a cracked block just little things.

mikeg205
08-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Oh I have more than enough MCOCD pal. But for $30 I would have too much DUMMY not to pay it.

Incidentally, I pulled up my floor sections and scrubbed my bilge on Sunday. That should qualify for 'nuff MCOCD.;)

Successfully learning how to winterize you boat will put you on a closer level with all the operations and functions of your boat. This should make you a more effective boat operator in knowing when something isn't working quite right and hopefully catching small issues before they a big problem.

$30? only - Hey I should get that... :)

Traxx822
08-14-2013, 12:06 PM
It will cost you $300 to $400 for winterization for a job you can do and know that it's done right for about $40 to $50. It takes a about 6 to 8 hours but in those hours I also remove all water spots and wax the boat.

Just about every person I know that pay's someone has had a issue with the winterization. Cracked ballast pumps, clogged fuel filter, shredded impeller, nothing like a cracked block just little things.

Wow, my marina charges $325.00. That includes winterization, acid wash hull, shrink wrap and storage indoors all winter.

Find a better marina or mechanic.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mikeg205
08-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Here's the checklist from East TX

checklist in post #2... http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4821

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Wow, my marina charges $325.00. That includes winterization, acid wash hull, shrink wrap and storage indoors all winter.

That is a great price!

mastercraft1995
08-14-2013, 12:46 PM
That is a smoking deal.

No deal like that around here I can tell you that.

XtwentyNot
08-14-2013, 01:04 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/15/etame6ym.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/15/9a2yma8y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/15/vy7uzyze.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/15/y9yzaryp.jpg

XtwentyNot
08-14-2013, 01:13 PM

Traxx822
08-14-2013, 01:16 PM
That is a smoking deal.

No deal like that around here I can tell you that.

You know, I also pay $900 a season for a slip and that is the yacht club price. :D

chriscraftmatt1976
08-14-2013, 01:22 PM

Why would they shrink it to store it indoors? That doesn't make sense.

Traxx822
08-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Why would they shrink it to store it indoors? That doesn't make sense.

Its is a pole barn basically. So in order to keep dust and animals out.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Its is a pole barn basically. So in order to keep dust and animals out.

Man, when I was a mechanic, I was cutting the shrink wrap off a boat one time, and a racoon had gotten in there, and he went haywire when I crawled into the boat. I moved pretty quickly out of the boat, screaming like an adolescent girl the whole way! Lol...

mikeg205
08-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Man, when I was a mechanic, I was cutting the shrink wrap off a boat one time, and a racoon had gotten in there, and he went haywire when I crawled into the boat. I moved pretty quickly out of the boat, screaming like an adolescent girl the whole way! Lol...

Video of that would have been awesome!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 02:39 PM

I bet that raised the blood pressure a bit.:rolleyes:

Traxx822
08-14-2013, 02:43 PM

I have heard a story about a yacht that happened to last year.

Actually last year was the first year for my MC in storage where as the years before were the different I/O's I had. And since my interior was getting done and other work they stored it in my mechanics shop.

To my surprise I haven't actually been billed for last years post season service yet.

Probably will do the same thing this year.

Projects for the winter include powder coating windshield frame and tinting glass and plumbing in ballast.

Next year is going to be awesome. :D :D

mikeg205
08-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Can we stop talking like the season is over? Summer is not even 2 months old... okay 7 weeks - but cut it out!!!!

Traxx822
08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Can we stop talking like the season is over? Summer is not even 2 months old... okay 7 weeks - but cut it out!!!!

My boat is always last in the marina still sitting in the water. You know my season isn't over.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 02:45 PM

It was 33 degrees in Tomahawk this morning. :D

mikeg205
08-14-2013, 02:49 PM
It was 33 degrees in Tomahawk this morning. :D

Back off :) mid 80's day time in the Bemidji area and mid to high 50's at night.. ;) :D

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Back off :) mid 80's day time in the Bemidji area and mid to high 50's at night.. ;) :D

You in Bemidji?

Mid 80's here all next week, though I will be in Tomahawk where it will be just breaking 80. No complaints here.

mikeg205
08-14-2013, 02:52 PM
You in Bemidji?

Mid 80's here all next week, though I will be in Tomahawk where it will be just breaking 80. No complaints here.

No just couldn't find weather in Tomahawk... found nearest big town... :D

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 03:03 PM
No just couldn't find weather in Tomahawk... found nearest big town... :D

Well, there aren't any big towns near Tomahawk, but you weren't even close. :eek:

http://www.mapquest.com/#ae42ca8051df12ae4f41c82c

mikeg205
08-14-2013, 03:16 PM
I found a Tomahawk resort in MN - I wasn't thinking WI... ;)

bobx1
08-14-2013, 03:55 PM
I think "winterization" needs to be defined.

There are various levels of Winterization and the time to perform and price will vary. Winterizing in the south can be different than those who live in Yankeeville.

If you are cheap and live in the south, then draining the block and trans-cooler is all that may be necessary (and this is quick and can be done in minimal time with only a screw driver and wrench).

If you have a heater then your time/price goes up
If you add anti-freeze (or equivalent) to your ballast/heater then your time/price goes up
If you pull the plugs and spray with fogging oil then your time/price goes up
If you remove then replace the impellor (in the spring) then your time/price goes up
If you change your oil then your time/price goes up
If you shrink wrap then your time/price goes up
Some dealers have a winter storage option
Some dealers have a "start-up" in the spring option included in their price

BARE5
08-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Different levels different prices. Do it all at once yourself or have it done! Try dryer sheets in and around the boat. We have used them for over 25 yrs and never had a critter problem. Especially mice. An the storage unit, garage, barn smells great in the spring time.