PDA

View Full Version : Tranny fuild type? ATF or 15W-40

prostar205
10-15-2005, 12:48 PM
I am confused. My dealer and my MC owners manual states to use 15W-40 motor oil in the tranny of my V-drive X30. However, the Zurth Transmission owners manaul states to use ATF fuild. Which is it????

Tennesseeski
10-15-2005, 04:02 PM
The 15w-40 motor oil goes in the engine and the ATF(Automatic Transmission Fluid) goes in the tranny. At least that is how it works on my 93 pro-star. I wouldn't think the newer transmissions used something different, BUT I COULD Be Wrong.

bigmac
10-15-2005, 05:06 PM
The 15w-40 motor oil goes in the engine and the ATF(Automatic Transmission Fluid) goes in the tranny. At least that is how it works on my 93 pro-star. I wouldn't think the newer transmissions used something different, BUT I COULD Be Wrong.

I'm really confused about this now too, and a little worried since I just drained and refilled my '04 230VRS ZF Hurth V-drive tranny with 15W40.

My rationale for that was that the MasterCraft owners manual and the current Indmar manual call for 15W40 in the Hurth V-drive. Also, when I pumped out the gallon of oil in there before refilling yesterday, it was caramel-colored and thick (took 30 minutes to suction-pump it all out), not red like Dexron, AND there is a yellow Pennzoil 15W40 sticker on the transmission housing.

Now, I just got off the phone with my MC dealer's service manager. HE says they put Dexron in trannies when they do the changes. Furthermore, he just went around and pulled transmission dipsticks from a few of the 2006 MCs on his showroom floor and they were all red (Dexron). HOWEVER, his review of the MasterCraft manual says it calls for 15W40, but his review of the Hurth transmission manual says it calls for ATF.

So, as near as I can tell, MasterCraft and Indmar are saying 15W40 while Hurth is saying ATF. It would seem odd to me that one could use either ATF or 10W40 motor oil in a transmission, but...I don't know how to rationalize the confusion.

The service manager is going to call MasterCraft on Monday to try to get this sorted out for me.

:confused:

JDK
10-15-2005, 05:41 PM
It would seem odd to me that one could use either ATF or 10W40 motor oil in a transmission,

Actually, either will probably work fine.
These transmissions are
- very, very simple (a 1954 GM powerglide is twice as complicated because it is a 2 speed)
- not super sensitive to heat because they only shift into and out of gear at idle.
- don't generate a lot of heat because there's no torque converter and are completely locked up when operating.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't follow Hurth's recommendation, but I don't think your transmission will be ruined if it had 15W-40 in it.

bigmac
10-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Actually, either will probably work fine.
These transmissions are
- very, very simple (a 1954 GM powerglide is twice as complicated because it is a 2 speed)
- not super sensitive to heat because they only shift into and out of gear at idle.
- don't generate a lot of heat because there's no torque converter and are completely locked up when operating.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't follow Hurth's recommendation, but I don't think your transmission will be ruined if it had 15W-40 in it.

Good points - and they make sense. Thanks for your input. I'll be interested to hear what MasterCraft says about it on Monday.

JDK
10-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Good points - and they make sense.

Thanks, can I quote you in my next disagreement with my wife :D

bigmac
10-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Here is the 2003 Indmar manual on tranny fluid
http://mccollister.info/indmarhurth.jpg

Here is the 2004 MasterCraft owner's manual
http://mccollister.info/mchurth.jpg

But apparently the confusion isn't limited to MasterCraft...these two excerpts are from adjoining pages on the 2006 Malibu owner's manual
http://mccollister.info/malibuhurth1.jpg

http://www.ty4stroke.com/images/smiles/banghead.gif

MarkP
10-15-2005, 06:51 PM
LOL,

So, bigmac, Looks like its settled!!http://deephousepage.com/smilies/pullhair.gif

Stephen Nordquist
10-15-2005, 10:51 PM
I called hurth and they told me 15w 40w is the correct product to use. The reason they use it instead of atf is oil being heavy makes the trans smooth and quiet. if you use atf it will be noisy when you shift.

bigmac
10-15-2005, 11:06 PM
I called hurth and they told me 15w 40w is the correct product to use. The reason they use it instead of atf is oil being heavy makes the trans smooth and quiet. if you use atf it will be noisy when you shift.

Thank you. Sounds like it doesn't matter which fluid then, as JDK suggested. Guess I'll stick with replacing with what was in there. Easy enough to tell Dexron from motor oil, even on the dipstick.

prostar205
10-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Thanks for clearing this up. I'm glad I was not the only one wondering about this.

Bigmac - I would still like to know what your dealer finds out from the factory.

Thanks again.

NeilM
10-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Stephen's dead on.

The confusion comes from the fact that ATF was the original recommended fluid. When too many customers complained about the noise, the decision was made to switch to 15W40. It takes a while for all the owners manuals to 'catch up'.

bigmac
10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks for clearing this up. I'm glad I was not the only one wondering about this.

Bigmac - I would still like to know what your dealer finds out from the factory.

Thanks again.

My dealer talked to MasterCraft, and was told that 15W40 is OK in this transmission. It was authorized by Hurth because so many people were complaining about gear noise at idle. He was told that it should have no performance penalty. Also, using Dexron II, III, or IV, or Mercon is fine, but that 15W40 and ATF should not be mixed.

I would replace your transmission fluid with whatever you have in there now. ATF is bright red.

88 PS190
10-18-2005, 11:44 PM
The older boats say you can use both, but not to mix as well, so lots of flushes if you are changing between.

Also depends if you want to use a synthetic or a non-synthetic product.