PDA

View Full Version : spins, flips, or fat grabs

turbofresh
08-13-2013, 11:15 AM
whats more appealing to you?

whats funner to do?

whats harder to do?

chuckin a huge backside 180, a nice clean smooth 360, or going 360+..

or is a nice backroll, tantrum or crow the way to go...

do we enjoi a huge air with a nice poke or two..

obviously we want a nice blend of everything within a good wakeboarding set and even mixing the variations together is even better. (quite abit more advanced though)

imho.. spins are fun as hell and can be extremely tough to do at times. Stick a fat grab in with your 360 or backside 180 and the ladies onboard will really dig it. flips are fun and all i just think they get old to watch especially when we see the same tantrum or backroll done 7x.... different variations of spins and grabs are what i really watch for.

im curious to hear what others think..

clrussell
08-13-2013, 11:22 AM
I'd just be happy to be able to do anything off of your list...

46Chief
08-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Rode with a kid who had a couple rolls, tantrum etc... and a 540 he tried about 10 times and never landed. I was unimpressed never saw a switch wake to wake, or anything in between.

Go big or go home is cool when you are 20, but for my advanced age I prefer seeing some variety, style and a good mix of switch, and toeside airs.

Someday would like to have a Raley and maybe figure out how to do those off axis shifty twisty grab tricks. For now I'll be happy if I can comfortably land a W2W Blindside 180 and a W2W 360.

ProTour-X9
08-13-2013, 12:38 PM
The Backside 180s, HS Backside 360, toeside 360, Scarecrow and the Mobius. If you want a real crowd pleaser, the Raley always satisfies (or Hoochie Glide), also Osmosis 540s are also extremely impressive! You're right, the variations will impress those who know what the tricks are.

76S&S
08-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Considering that I turned 39+11 in June, a good fun run with no injuries is what I'm all about.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Too old now, but a few years ago a wake to wake big spin on a skate was my favorite trick I could land. Hurt myself good last time I missed one and learned my lesson.

Skir68
08-13-2013, 02:44 PM
W2W 180's are easy for me, I struggle with the 360's. sometimes I land em, sometimes i'm off axis. I learned a lot watching someone teaching heli's off the jump ramp last weekend. That arm that's NOT holding onto the rope is key to your spin and keeping your head up, not looking down!
at 45 y/o, it's starting to hurt when I fall!

chriscraftmatt1976
08-13-2013, 03:19 PM
W2W 180's are easy for me, I struggle with the 360's. sometimes I land em, sometimes i'm off axis. I learned a lot watching someone teaching heli's off the jump ramp last weekend. That arm that's NOT holding onto the rope is key to your spin and keeping your head up, not looking down!
at 45 y/o, it's starting to hurt when I fall!

Eyes on the horizon. If you look in the water, that's where you'll end up. That's what dad used to tell me.

Skir68
08-13-2013, 04:24 PM
"Ya look down, Ya fall down" I can't tell you how many times I heard My Buddy Don R. tell me that. Now, when I return back to my kids after they fall, they always say " I Know dad, Ya Look down, Ya fall down"

sp00ky
08-13-2013, 09:49 PM
"Ya look down, Ya fall down" I can't tell you how many times I heard My Buddy Don R. tell me that. Now, when I return back to my kids after they fall, they always say " I Know dad, Ya Look down, Ya fall down"

Exactly and how you launch is exactly how you are gonna land so stand tall and look at the horizon.

swatguy
09-01-2013, 10:39 PM
I like spins as much as the next guy , but looking from a far or from my boat to another I prefer style. Being able to poke or tweak something like a huge floaty backside 180, or a method into the flats always looks sick. Grabbing a simple invert is always way cooler to me than throwing a tech trick like a 5 or something without a grab. I will take a sweet Indy tantrum over a 3 w no grab any day.

No matter if u like them or don't a Raley (glide) will always be a crowd pleaser.

johnlanguab
09-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I just landed my first invert today.

That is all :)

chriscraftmatt1976
09-06-2013, 09:23 PM
I just landed my first invert today.

That is all :)

Niiiiiiiice

tmacx2
09-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Ok, I'm a little confused. I thought you were supposed to look down to spot your landing or is that at the very end of the trick? Working on heelside w to w 180. Landed about 6 out of about 20 today. A lot of the ones I missed I ended up with the board sliding out and I was in a sitting position. A few I tried to land with a little more weight on the toeside but went over the toeside. A couple of my better ones I felt like my pop was more straight up and I came down kind of flat on the board but really can't recall where I was looking. Any advice appreciated.

mitchelmilitiapres
09-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Ok, I'm a little confused. I thought you were supposed to look down to spot your landing or is that at the very end of the trick? Working on heelside w to w 180. Landed about 6 out of about 20 today. A lot of the ones I missed I ended up with the board sliding out and I was in a sitting position. A few I tried to land with a little more weight on the toeside but went over the toeside. A couple of my better ones I felt like my pop was more straight up and I came down kind of flat on the board but really can't recall where I was looking. Any advice appreciated.

Keeping the handle at and close to your hips, chest up and wait for your pop before you initiate the 180. This will help you stay on axis, and keep your weight over your toes. Hope this helps! Good luck man

mitchelmilitiapres
09-15-2013, 08:39 PM
As per the thread: I'm an advocate of spins and floaty grabs myself. It shows your board control aptitude and a good way to differentiate yourself and display your style.