PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 2013 X-30 Surf Setup

JGMinano
08-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Reaching out to those of you that have experience surfing the 2012/2013 X-30. I grew up skiing behind a 88 PS 190, then spent last 6 years skiing and boarding with wife and kids with our 07 X-2). In early July we traded the X-2 for a 2013 X-30, primarily for more space, but have been really impressed with how much more nimble it is in terms of handling, as well as with the quality of the recreational slalom wake (15 off; 30-32 mph). In terms of surfing, we're total novices, but would love to maximize our experience by taking advantage of everyone's experience in terms of dialing in the surf wave.

Both my wife and I surf goofy, so we're currently filling both the center and starboard stock tanks, as well as the additional 750 lb starboard plug and play Fly-Hi sac installed by the dealer. Without adding a bunch more weight, any advice on boat speed, attitude adj plate position, and positioning of "human" ballast in the boat (any weight in bow, for example) would really be appreciated.

Specter
08-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Hey JGMinano - I have played around with all types of setups and this is the best setup I've found:

Weight - KGB (center tank) and surf side tanks 100% full. Non surf side should be 0%.
- 900lbs Sumo Sac in surf side locker
- 750lbs sac under the port coffin or on top of starboard seat

Speed - 11mph tends to deliver the best push with the cleanest wave. Faster will clean it up a bit more but you'll lose push while slower will deliver more push but the wave will get a little frothy.

Tabs/Plates - from my experience none needed on the X-30

Humans - depending on how many you're carrying I try to fit everyone on the surf side as close to the back of the boat as possible.

Learning to Ride - I don't know about your boat but my 30 sends a subtle line through the water that can be seen while riding. It comes off of the boat near the edge of the swim platform and the back corner of the boat. When teaching new riders to go wireless I tell them to aim their board for that line so they'll find the pocket more easily.

Scott
08-13-2013, 06:05 PM
were still trying to figure out the skiing thing!! we dont wakeboard and im in the process of sacing boat out, with permission, from da wife!!

corey
08-13-2013, 06:37 PM
For the goofy side wake here is how we run

KGB- 100%
Stbd tank - 100%
750lb bag on top of stbd - 100%
Port tank -60%
Attitude Adj Plate 20%
Port Surf Tab - 40-100% depending on the riders likes

Distribute people on the stbd side, put one person in the bow if there are 4 or more people in the boat and make sure you are in at least 10' of water.

I should have some photos next week!

teamcanada
08-14-2013, 12:35 AM
Here is our goofy setup:
Starboard tank full, 750# starboard locker bag full, same for port side. KGB tank full and 300# in bow sacs under seats full. One 400# sac on seat behind driver full. Port surf tab to 100%.
I have wowed many a goofy rider with the length and push of this wave. Enjoy!

rgardjr1
08-14-2013, 12:46 AM
RX-2 for a 2013 X-30, primarily for more space, but have been really impressed with how much more nimble it is in terms of handling

I drove my cousins X-1 a couple of weekends ago and I couldn't believe how well it handles compared to my X-2 (he's always complaining about the handling compared to his last boat). We both came from 89 & 90 Supra Comp TS6Ms which spoiled us from a handling perspective.

KahunaCraft
08-14-2013, 01:45 AM
1100# rear locker piggy backed and remove the cooler/trash can, 750# goes in there and is runs off a super sacr with a newly purchased timer and all stock ballast full. At 11.2, the wave is the best I've found in roughly 200 hours of surfing this year.

I've tried adjusting/counter balancing / more in the bow... More in the bow tends to lengthen but shorten the height a little, but not much.

If you have novice riders, put the center tab down at 30-100% to knock down the steepness and mellow out the wave a little. As they get better, leave the ballast alone and adjust the tab.

Drive straight as you can as that will give a consistent wake and location of the sweet spot. If the rider is smaller, drive at 10.4-10.8 ... If they are being pushed into the boat, speed up to 11.0-11.4

Tell the rider to look at the wave, not the people in the boat if they are novice. Get them to listen to an entire song while playing with the slack in the rope and let them discover the pocket as well as mechanisms of surfing... ie: moving feet around and using balance / weight distribution to speed up apply pressure to the leading foot/slow down apply pressure to the back foot...

Then get them going ropeless by keeping a consistent speed and driving straight. Simple suggestions such as 'Smile' will get them to relax and that's when I find the rider starts to really enjoy and is hooked. Foot position /placement and consistently having a marking or spot on the board for them to reference for their feet. Have them get their feet closer to the toe side of the board if possible. Some will prefer and do just fine with a natural position that isn't how you ride, let them adjust and be comfortable. Too much instruction is not good, (maybe i should have shortened this post) simple adjustments and a decent song on the radio go a long way.

I think 10ft is good, but if it is 4ft of weeds and 6ft of water, it isn't 10ft. I prefer 18 as a minimum and glass water improves the lift aka push by 30% in my rough estimate. 1ft chop decreases the experience by the same factor.

My preference is Inland boards, but many others are doing well. Do not skimp on the board, they make a big difference - even with the monster wave of the 30. Phase 5, Flyboy (inland special models) , shred stixx are others. Most pros have 4 fins that speed up the board a great deal, there is a thread on it here. I'll dig it up and edit this post tomorrow. I realize you only wanted ballast configuration, but felt the other factors were worth mentioning.

So back on topic, the mistake I made was thinking that a bigger wave was better for novice riders. They'd get up, then fly down the face of the big wake and fall... In my opinion, big ballast isn't needed with the X30 with that type of skill level. The stock ballast plus the other bags you have placed in the locker and under the bench are more than enough and I'd start with less if I were you. Have the human ballast at the back and on the surf side and just fill the rear surf stock. You'll be surprised and happy.

Last item, a few of us are starting to tinker with different props... Search for 501s he is about to post some tests with a newer prop. I'm going to try my ACME 1285 in the next week or so... Could make some differences to the surf experience ...

Specter
08-14-2013, 07:35 AM
So back on topic, the mistake I made was thinking that a bigger wave was better for novice riders. They'd get up, then fly down the face of the big wake and fall... In my opinion, big ballast isn't needed with the X30 with that type of skill level. The stock ballast plus the other bags you have placed in the locker and under the bench are more than enough and I'd start with less if I were you. Have the human ballast at the back and on the surf side and just fill the rear surf stock. You'll be surprised and happy.

Since I recently introduced two newbies to surfing this comment struck home.

The driver can greatly impact the position of the rider during the initial pull by making sure the riders starting position is placed well outside of the boat. If someone starts behind the boat or near the back corner they're likely going to end up as you stated, coming down a wave that's going to end up bucking them off.

For example: when teaching new standard riders I make sure they're starting position is at least 3-4 ft off the port side and during the starting pull I make sure to turn slight left so they stand up at the bottom of the wave.

Describing this with text is difficult at best so here's a video to demonstrate what I mean. This was shot by me on my 30 with 900lbs in the port locker. This was her third pull.

http://youtu.be/UBR9PKKXlU4?t=43s

KnoxX2
03-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Time to bring this thread back!!! LOL
So I'm looking at a new X30 this yr with the G2 system! Anyone had any experience yet as far as setup for goofy side? Also what prop is good for a 5.7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HO Mach 1
03-07-2014, 10:13 AM
I am looking at a 2013 X-30 for a lot of the same reasons you bought yours (more space, surfing, wakeboarding, etc). I am the only slalom skier out of the group. How does the wake compare to other boats you have skied? Would you buy this boat again?

501s
03-07-2014, 11:31 AM
The X-30 skis pretty well, although the ski pic I posted is at about 25 and not even up to speed but it's all I have. Everything else it does amazing. Here are a few pics of the wakes and waves on my 2013.

JGMinano
03-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Yes -- I'd buy an X-30 in a heartbeat. The only thing I'd change is upgrading the engine from the 5.7 to the 6.0. We bought the last 2013 on our dealer's lot for a great price (it had 10 hours on it, but was otherwise mint), but if we had ordered it I would have upgraded to at least the 6.0. My wife and I still do a lot of slalom skiing, and both of us can definitely feel the difference in hole shot as compared to our 2007 X-2 w/ the MCX (same 5.7 liter engine displacement). Other than that, the 5.7 in our X-30 works great, even with 10+ passengers and stock + extra ballast.

CantRepeat
03-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Yes -- I'd buy an X-30 in a heartbeat. The only thing I'd change is upgrading the engine from the 5.7 to the 6.0. We bought the last 2013 on our dealer's lot for a great price (it had 10 hours on it, but was otherwise mint), but if we had ordered it I would have upgraded to at least the 6.0. My wife and I still do a lot of slalom skiing, and both of us can definitely feel the difference in hole shot as compared to our 2007 X-2 w/ the MCX (same 5.7 liter engine displacement). Other than that, the 5.7 in our X-30 works great, even with 10+ passengers and stock + extra ballast.

I'm sure the X2 doesn't weigh as much as the X30. Have you repropped the X30? If not you may want to consider it.

HO Mach 1
03-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the response guys that was very helpful (especially the pictures). I have a deposit on a 2013 at the dealer with 69 hours on it. I am going to see the boat next weekend. It is outfitted with the 5.7, but it is at a substantial savings. I haven't seen one around here with a 6.0. Our two regional dealers seem to stock them with the 5.7, so that is what seems to show up both new and used. Building a new one is just further than I can reach right now. Getting a different pitch prop sounds like a good suggestion though.

clrussell
03-08-2014, 11:30 AM
The X-30 skis pretty well, although the ski pic I posted is at about 25 and not even up to speed but it's all I have. Everything else it does amazing. Here are a few pics of the wakes and waves on my 2013.

501 that wakeboard wake looks huge!!! I noticed in the picture name that's with 4k of ballast??

501s
03-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Hey clrussel, you are correct. The wake is huge and it was about 4k in ballast. The great thing about the X30 is even with all that weight the wake is consistent and clean even at a bit slower speeds. The problem with posting these pics is it's still another month or 2 till summer and I'm definitley getting the itch to ride!

bhanson
03-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Check out previous posts by Vman, who had an X45 then switched to an X30, and whose wife competes Pro Woman so obviously have his wake dialed-in.