PDA

View Full Version : can trailer fenders buff out?

andersonmc
08-13-2013, 01:29 AM
My white fenders are pretty faded. Has anyone buffed them back to a shine? Not sure if its possible. Their the Mc plastic fenders on my 01 xstar

jgraham37128
08-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Oh year you can buff them. Get 3m heavy duty compound and a wool pad. Follow up with a good sealer wax. Tape up everything like the rubber skid pads and lights. It will come back good as new but expect it to take at least an hour per fender. Once done it will be worth it.

Moosecrackers
08-13-2013, 09:15 AM
You can buff them back into shape. I used 3M liquid rubbing compound, 3M Finess-It and then waxed them. If you have a power multi-tool that you can put a buffing pad on it works great for getting into the tight corners that a regular buffer has trouble reaching.

jsturvey
08-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Absolutely. Did mine last year; big difference. I actually removed all the lights before polishing and replaced them with LED when the polishing was finished to modernize it a bit. You can actually remove the entire fender from the trailer if you so desire.

maxpower220
08-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Just did mine yesterday. My non skid was looking bad, so I removed it and buffed it to a nice, new shine. I have a polisher from Harbor Freight and a quality pad from the auto paint supply store. Did the boat and the trailer with excellent results.

andersonmc
08-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys. I have a makita polisher. I didn't want to test in case it would burn the finish. Wasn't sure what the top coat was. I've been using Goof off to rub the old Mastercraft adhesive off but it seems to be taking longer then most cases. Anyother suggestions to speed up the process?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys. I have a makita polisher. I didn't want to test in case it would burn the finish. Wasn't sure what the top coat was. I've been using Goof off to rub the old Mastercraft adhesive off but it seems to be taking longer then most cases. Anyother suggestions to speed up the process?

Go to a stronger solvent. Wash the area when finished and you will be fine.

joey414
08-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Did mine over the last few weeks. Going to cut the grip for it soon as it comes in.

TayMC197
08-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Collinite 920 will bring them back..

maxpower220
08-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Acetone will work if Goof Off isn't getting it done. Use a lot and keep a clean rag.

vogelm1
08-13-2013, 06:52 PM
They are gelcoated just like your boat, so you can treat them like you would the hull. For what it's worth, I've repaired rock chips and dings in fenders with Spectrum color repair paste, wet sanded with progressively finer paper, and buffed - just like new again.

timvan
08-14-2013, 08:14 AM
I've buffed mine in the past, only to have them return to faded within a couple of weeks. Maybe I should wet sand then buff....?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 11:33 AM
I've buffed mine in the past, only to have them return to faded within a couple of weeks. Maybe I should wet sand then buff....?

Yup. Sounds like you aren't getting all the oxidation off.

andersonmc
08-14-2013, 09:06 PM
I took my Makita last night to one of my fenders and even after 4 passes with 3m Compound and wool pad it still wasn't very glossy. I think I'm just going to wait till fall and remove them and wet sand then buff. I was thinking I would start with 1000 grit and finish with 1500. You think that would be fine?