PDA

View Full Version : 2013 X Star Owners - Tell us what you think

bjames
08-12-2013, 04:52 PM
OK... For some reason I am seeing more 2013 Xstars at our local lake than any other Mastercraft model. Obviously MC is having no problems selling these beasts.:D

If you currently own one, I am courious on what your thought are.

How do you like the wake (wakeboarding and surfing)?

Any issues with the dash system and other technology?

How is the curved glass - any glare?

What you like or dislike about the new star.

Do the longer pickle forks hit the back of your truck when backing up in tight turns?:D

bcd
08-12-2013, 06:29 PM
You getting the new boat itch already?

FourFourty
08-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Surfing- Love it. It is my favorite surf wake to ride, which says a lot when the other two boats I ride are an X30, and a G23. I have yet to ride an Enzo, which is, from what I have heard, in a whole different league..... If I didn't love such a short board (LF Custom 4'2"), the X30 wake would probably be the best, however, I have a hard time getting the push I need. Don't take that as "The X30 has no push", That is not at all what I am saying. It is incredible. I just love my 4-2 Custom, and it is too short for somebody my weight. My point is that the 13 XStar has a TON of push, and a deep pocket. Its downside is that it is not as clean as the X30. As far as comparing to the G23..... Also a very good surf wake, but not as good, IMO, as the XStar or X30. Very close though, and I do know a couple guys that prefer the wider, shallower wake of the G23. They all have about the same height wake, but the X30 and XStar are steeper.

Couple shots I took for another thread...
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0684_zps0686a7ea.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0675_zpse1d3cc86.jpg

Wakeboarding- Biggest wake I have ever taken on, with the G23 a VERY close second. Totally different wake shapes. Both equally as fun to ride. As odd as this may sound, I would love to launch off the XStar wake, and land the G23 wake on the other side. The XStar takes less "work" to get insane air, with that lip at the top of the wake. However, that same lip makes the landing feel.....Different.... This is all being way overcritical of these wakes.....

The dirty wake rumors are such BS. It is no more finicky, about weight, than the G23, or my previous X25. That being said, the X30, is the easiest wake, to keep clean, that I have ever seen. X30 wakeboard wake is great, but it is not quite the same as riding the G or Star, and it also needs a lot more weight.

Disclaimer- I am not a pro wakeboarder, or advanced one, by any stretch of the imagination. :D

Murphy electronics have been flawless through 82hrs of use. User interface, ease of use, setup, layout, versatility, and reliability are all MILES beyond any experience I had with Medallion stuff.

Curved glass is fine. I have not noticed any glare, or downsides to it.... Besides that it looks a little funny. I like it though.

Dislikes-
1-Having to step up to get into the bow, and the limited room to the left of helm seat with that "hump" there.
2-Fuel tank is 75 gallons, and it hurts to fill it up.
3-No surf system yet. Even though I love surfing this boat, I am super jealous of NSS and the ability to run balanced out...
4-Because of the motorized dash, you cant have tilt steering if you opted for hydraulic steering.

Likes-
1-IMO one of the sexiest boats on the water.
2-Wakeboard wake scares me
3-Fuel Tank is 75 gallons, so I run to the pump half as much as before. :D
4-Motorized screen hides away at night, so I don't have ridiculous glare in the boat.
5-Flip seat can also be a bed, for those 1 on 1 nights with the GF.
6-7.4l rumbles like an angry bear, and yanks you like a pitbull after the paper boy.

As for the mile long PF tines, Boatmate gave me a longer tongue :uglyhamme

willyt
08-13-2013, 10:08 AM
440 -
how much ballast are you running wakeboarding, and what's your setup for weight?

mpabreo
08-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Great review. I'd like to hear more about how you guys are weighting the boat for wakeboarding as I've been able to find little info on a preferred setup on multiple forums. I did however talk to Rusty M. on how he rides his xstar...

Stock rear tanks full, rear bags (PNP) full, kgb full, front bags 40% full, 1000lb bag on the floor just in front of the folding seat, 78.5' line length, 24.5mph. His words "f*!king huge".

I ordered mine with hydraulic steering, so I won't have tilt steering? sup with that?!? Hopefully they fixed that for 2014.

c640947
08-13-2013, 10:51 AM
OK so I had been planning to test an X46 versus a G23. A lot of it is the available room inside the boat (Xstar small inside and i have 3 kids) and the surf wake supposedly sucks on the Xstar (wife only likes surfing these days.) But hearing what you are saying above and seeing the pictures make me wonder if I shouldnt give the Xstar a whirl too. I loved the old xstar wake and the comment on "taking off Xstar landing on the G23" definitely scares my aging knees away from the xstar.

What is your set up for surfing?

Some of the pictures I have seen the nose of the xstar is straight up in the water when pulling wake riders. does it really drive like that?

When going slower speeds less ballast (for girls or younger riders) can you get a clean wake? I have heard "no."

I guess I have all these questions since it seems like many have dogged on the xstar and yours if one of the few glowing posts of the boat I have come across. I do absolutely love the way the boat looks and had been saying for years when they redesigned the xstar i was going to get one.

And oddly enough, after going to the dealership, my wife was actually pushing for the xstar over the other choices, despite our three kids.

mpabreo - when you say rusty put the 1000 lbs bag on the floor just in front of the folding seat... did you mean behind, as in aft? That tiny walk through area in the front doesnt seem to be able to hold a 1000lb sac.

bjames
08-13-2013, 11:54 AM
You getting the new boat itch already?

LOL... I knew this question was going to be asked :D

To answer your question.. No, not now as I am really happy with what I have. But I always leave my options open :)

FourFourty
08-13-2013, 01:52 PM
I will try to get every question....

440 -
how much ballast are you running wakeboarding, and what's your setup for weight?

All stock tanks full, and about 400lbs per side in the lockers. (750 bags about half full), and 75' line. If you fill them full, you need 200-300lbs up front. With the size of it, at my typical setup, there is no need. Way to big, for my ability, with that much weight.

Great review. I'd like to hear more about how you guys are weighting the boat for wakeboarding as I've been able to find little info on a preferred setup on multiple forums. I did however talk to Rusty M. on how he rides his xstar...

Stock rear tanks full, rear bags (PNP) full, kgb full, front bags 40% full, 1000lb bag on the floor just in front of the folding seat, 78.5' line length, 24.5mph. His words "f*!king huge".

I ordered mine with hydraulic steering, so I won't have tilt steering? sup with that?!? Hopefully they fixed that for 2014.

I can't even imagine it with that much weight.....

And no, because of interference with the main screen, they cant fit the hydraulic motor behind the dash. You probably wont have tilt.... I did consider unplugging the motor on my screen and putting a tilt wheel in, but I got used to it, and I don't mind anymore.

OK so I had been planning to test an X46 versus a G23. A lot of it is the available room inside the boat (Xstar small inside and i have 3 kids) and the surf wake supposedly sucks on the Xstar (wife only likes surfing these days.) But hearing what you are saying above and seeing the pictures make me wonder if I shouldnt give the Xstar a whirl too. I loved the old xstar wake and the comment on "taking off Xstar landing on the G23" definitely scares my aging knees away from the xstar.

What is your set up for surfing?

Some of the pictures I have seen the nose of the xstar is straight up in the water when pulling wake riders. does it really drive like that?

When going slower speeds less ballast (for girls or younger riders) can you get a clean wake? I have heard "no."

I guess I have all these questions since it seems like many have dogged on the xstar and yours if one of the few glowing posts of the boat I have come across. I do absolutely love the way the boat looks and had been saying for years when they redesigned the xstar i was going to get one.

And oddly enough, after going to the dealership, my wife was actually pushing for the xstar over the other choices, despite our three kids.

1- I usually have 6-8 adults on board, with plenty of room. Much more than that, and I would have wanted it bigger. We did have 12 on it one day, and it wasn't too bad. The biggest problem was somebody having to move to get in the cooler. That said, I would have rather had an X46 that day.

2-Too many people dogged this boat with zero experience. It had a bad rep ever since the development video was released. Bad marketing on MCs part IMO. The wakeboard wake is incredible, and so is the surf wake. Those pics above were with only a driver, and a 110lb girl in the port rear seat. 6-8 peeps, on board, makes it substantially better even.

Surf setup- If we only have driver and 1 spotter (typical weeknight)-all stock tanks full, port 750lb bag full, stbd 750lb bag 60%, 1000lb in coffin 70-80% full, and 300lbs in the bow.

If we have 6ish people- All stock full, Both rear 750s full, coffin 1000lb full, 2 or 3 people in the bow, and 2-3 on the port lounge seat.

You might ask why I have less weight with less people..... Mostly because we tend to have big rollers come through, and I always feel uneasy if I can't quickly move weight with a surprise one coming at us, while we are sitting still or returning for a rider.

3- The nose rides high for sure. This boat loves rear weight. It does have a taller helm seat, which I absolutely love, to help with that. I don't find that the nose rides too high with that seat. I can see fine.

4-Slow speed wake is very nice and clean IF you are running minimal ballast. If you load it up, it is a 22-24 mile per hour wake. Unloaded, I can pull 18 with ease. I have not tried slower than that.

Also, at 18mph, and no ballast, the wake is still pretty big.

As for your knees- You don't have to go big with this boat. The unloaded wake is fairly mellow, and reminds me of my X25 wake. Its clean, rampy, and doesn't have much lip if you are running lighter....or nose down.

mpabreo
08-13-2013, 02:02 PM
mpabreo - when you say rusty put the 1000 lbs bag on the floor just in front of the folding seat... did you mean behind, as in aft? That tiny walk through area in the front doesnt seem to be able to hold a 1000lb sac.

In front of the rear folding seat. Rear most floor space. The boat loves weight in the rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

stuartmcnair
08-13-2013, 03:38 PM
good lord if someone came near my place with that wake I would have to get the gun out. That would put my boat on top of the dock.

bjames
08-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks for your comments 4-40... very informative.

AZX45OD
08-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Yes 4-40, excellent assessment on these boats. I can't wait to hear more info on the X-46 vs the Star vs X-30 vs X45.

teamcanada
08-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Yeah that was very helpful. Do the 14 stars have surf tabs as an option?

FourFourty
08-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Yeah that was very helpful. Do the 14 stars have surf tabs as an option?

I don't think so. The shape, of the back of the hull, would make it difficult to put tabs on it. I hear that we are going to have something new from MC soon, and that it will work on the XStar as well..... No details on what it is. But we should hear something within the next few weeks.

c640947
08-14-2013, 10:03 AM
I don't think so. The shape, of the back of the hull, would make it difficult to put tabs on it. I hear that we are going to have something new from MC soon, and that it will work on the XStar as well..... No details on what it is. But we should hear something within the next few weeks.

Is this the extra available ballast they are planning to put as an option or something else? I am close to making a purchasing decision so if some major surf innovation is going to become available it would make sense to wait.

scott023
08-14-2013, 10:27 AM
good lord if someone came near my place with that wake I would have to get the gun out. That would put my boat on top of the dock.

That's funny stuff right there, I don't care who you are.:D

FourFourty
08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Is this the extra available ballast they are planning to put as an option or something else? I am close to making a purchasing decision so if some major surf innovation is going to become available it would make sense to wait.

I know that something was mentioned on WW about it being some kind of "surf ballast", but I am thinking it is not ballast related. They may have kept it vague to avoid news spreading before they announce it. Biggest reason I think that, is because of liability issues with adding ballast. (Which is the major reason that MC will not supply the bags for PNP option) They would be leaving themselves open to lawsuits if they provided us with a pump and a 1000lb bag....... It cant see how it is going to be ballast related, or at least, I certainly hope its not. That would be a joke.