PDA

View Full Version : Low Profile tires - Paranoia

bjames
08-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Just wondering if Im the only one who is obsessed with keeping an eye on my Low Profile tires when trailering. I travel with my side mirrors positioned so that I can see the trailer tires at all times - watching for any sign of failure at every pot hole, rail crossing or bump in the road. Watching the trailer bounce around and seeing how the tires take it makes me cringe.

Am I being too paranoid thinking the LP tires (Nexen) will blow any second :o Or should I relax and chill :)

mplv
08-12-2013, 02:26 PM
this is why I ordered the ugliest trailer they would sell me, full galvanized with regular galv wheels and 16" tires. Id rather have an ugly trailer with nothing to worry about than a pimped out expensive one with all kinds of drama.

if the tires are load rated right and don't show any signs of weathering or dry rot you should be good? if they are the original set from 09 maybe not.

Double D
08-12-2013, 02:42 PM
I have trailer tire paranoia regardless of the size, shape, style, total, etc.

sp00ky
08-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Just wondering if Im the only one who is obsessed with keeping an eye on my Low Profile tires when trailering. I travel with my side mirrors positioned so that I can see the trailer tires at all times - watching for any sign of failure at every pot hole, rail crossing or bump in the road. Watching the trailer bounce around and seeing how the tires take it makes me cringe.

Am I being too paranoid thinking the LP tires (Nexen) will blow any second :o Or should I relax and chill :)

Yeah I wouldn't put anything but ST tires and these are not low profile.

sp00ky
08-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Low profile boat trailer tires is like wearing flip flops to go backpacking. Get some proper shoes man.

2010Prostar197
08-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Low profile tires have the same height as regular tires. 18 inch rims versus 14 (tandem)

At the rated 50 psi cold I only need two tires to carry a Prostar. Having four just makes it safer.

Assuming your trailer is level? On torsion springs if the trailer is low at the tounge on a tandem setup the front tires will take more of the weight than the back ones.

jraben8
08-12-2013, 03:28 PM
I'm behind everything that they have said already. Too many trailer tire failures for me. I've gotten to the point that I replace all of them at the 3yr mark but I'm probably overly paranoid about it. I can't stand the thought of my family on the side of the road.

Mastercraftdave
08-12-2013, 04:17 PM
I know what your talking about. Im always looking and checking whats around. One day it was raining and I couldnt see one of the curbs and it popped the tire. So there I was changing a tire in the rain :-(. I have just learned that I have to drive carefully. Also I like towing with the wider tires.

bamabonners
08-12-2013, 04:27 PM
on my 2011 and 2012 Malibus, I had the low profile 18" wheels and that made me nervous for some reason. When I bought the x2 this year, I specifically bought 15" wheels so I could get regular trailer tires. BONUS - the tires are much cheaper. LOL!!

bjames
08-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Anyone know the size of the 2013 X Star LP tires? They look like they have a thicker cross section than the older LP tires.

Knock on wood, but the 2009 tires seem to be holding up very well.

My 2012 X25 LP tire had the tread delaminate when I was on the highway. thankfully I noticed the vibration and stopped before loosing any air. The Tire only had 3 (1 hour) trips to the lake.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-12-2013, 04:37 PM
The low profile tires are certainly more prone to potholes and curbs, but rolling down the highway they are pretty good. A smart driver has some amount of paranoia about his tires and hubs while pulling the trailer. Every time I stop, I always walk around the trailer and put the back of my hand (more sensitive to hear) near the hub and visually inspect the tires for air pressure and signs of grease streaking inside or outside the tires. I am a firm believer in running good tires.........:rolleyes:

MattsCraft
08-12-2013, 06:23 PM
The low profile tires are certainly more prone to potholes and curbs, but rolling down the highway they are pretty good. A smart driver has some amount of paranoia about his tires and hubs while pulling the trailer. Every time I stop, I always walk around the trailer and put the back of my hand (more sensitive to hear) near the hub and visually inspect the tires for air pressure and signs of grease streaking inside or outside the tires. I am a firm believer in running good tires.........:rolleyes:

Me too - however I have a '13 with low pro's - It rolls down the road like a dream, seems way smoother than my '09 with standard trailer tires, marathons for 4 years and no issue's too. I do always check my tire pressures though.

The new V bearings are great, supposedly no maintenance for 5 years.

mikeg205
08-12-2013, 08:07 PM
I have trailer tire paranoia regardless of the size, shape, style, total, etc.

^^^^+1 - I am always eyeballing when trailer-ing... stop every 90-120 mins to check hubs and tires for excessive heat.... and during fill ups and potty breaks... 3 trips to Ontario and no troubles.. one more trip left on these tires and then new tires..

thatsmrmastercraft
08-12-2013, 08:09 PM
^^^^+1 - I am always eyeballing when trailer-ing... stop every 90-120 mins to check hubs and tires for excessive heat.... and during fill ups and potty breaks... 3 trips to Ontario and no troubles.. one more trip left on these tires and then new tires..

Did someone say new tires?:rolleyes:

2RLAKE
08-12-2013, 08:58 PM
I tow my boat 1/2 mile each way in the spring and then in the fall ... the only thing I worry about is dry rot! sorry guys!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-12-2013, 09:03 PM
I tow my boat 1/2 mile each way in the spring and then in the fall ... the only thing I worry about is dry rot! sorry guys!

If you foam-filled your tires like some equipment, they might last forever. :rolleyes:

scott023
08-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Low profile boat trailer tires is like wearing flip flops to go backpacking. Get some proper shoes man.

I call bs. No point having a smoking hot boat with an ugly trailer.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2013, 12:59 AM

A lot of it depends upon where you use your boat. If your normal round trip is a long haul, I would lean towards some nice standard size wheels and tires, but if you don't drive half way across the country each trip, the low profile look is tough to beat.

Finding a replacement low-pro tire while on the road is unlikely.

kgrove
08-13-2013, 01:22 AM

Unless the point is saving a few thousand dollars.

AZX45OD
08-13-2013, 01:34 AM
We had an 18" wheel shear off coming down a hill with only a few hundred miles on the new trailer. The dealer told me it was because I didn't tighten the lug nuts after the first few hundred miles. I checked the others and there were a few loose nuts (barely). I keep a closer watch now. Anybody hear of this before? The wider tires sure tow nice and track straight.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2013, 01:37 AM
Lug nuts on any wheel, be it car, truck or trailer should be re-torqued after 50 miles. I always use a torque wrench and check mine at 50 and 100 miles.

scott023
08-13-2013, 01:59 AM
Unless the point is saving a few thousand dollars.

Looking to save a couple thousand on a six figure purchase? May as well go all the way, IMO. 8p

mcskier
08-13-2013, 02:45 AM
The Nexen LP tires are really good IMO. Never had an issue and mine are from 2008. I don't have to trailer very far to where I ski, but in the summer, I frequently make 60-100 mile (each way) trips. Aside from watching out for curbs, I don't give the tires a second thought. Keep them at the right pressure and replace when it's time.

Goalie_ken
08-13-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm convinced that low profile / street tires put more stress on the bearings as they do not want to turn. They srub more when turning as opposed to a narrower tire. My trailer had low profile street tires on from new and had nightmare issues with bearings. I even had to replace an axle. Since I switched to proper trailer tires I've been OK. Granted my trailer is a POS Zeimann.....

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm convinced that low profile / street tires put more stress on the bearings as they do not want to turn. They srub more when turning as opposed to a narrower tire. My trailer had low profile street tires on from new and had nightmare issues with bearings. I even had to replace an axle. Since I switched to proper trailer tires I've been OK. Granted my trailer is a POS Zeimann.....

Wider tires do scrub more. The extra leverage by a wider wheel/tire combination will exert more pressure on the bearings.

sp00ky
08-13-2013, 10:51 PM

Yeah better to look good on the side of the road then to get to the lake right?

Redstorm
08-14-2013, 04:08 AM

+1 ....... had them on my car. Felt every bump and every pebble. They are harder on your vehicle. Continuously watching the road for miner pot holes. Stressfully! Glad I have reg tires on my trailer......very smooth and less anxiety!

dihrdskir
08-14-2013, 05:48 AM
I don't get it. Some of us will spend six figure sums on our boats and yet we give no thought to the rubber we put on our trailers. The factory will fit suitable tyres for the job, yet they are no more than that. If you take it seriously why not invest in some engineering and a fit for purpose product. My experience with some tyres out of the US is limited, but as I understand it they are complianced for trailer only use. Don't take this personally, they are cheap and they suck. Down here blowouts or failures regardless of whether they have a low or high aspect ratio, are rare. Our standards are more stringent and the fitment of some tyres is prohibited by these same minimum standards. Do the research, check the load rating of the tyre, inflate it to the right pressure and don't overload. Then you will have a tyre that will outlast the boat and you will live happily ever after irrespective of whether it is high or low profile.

scott023
08-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Yeah better to look good on the side of the road then to get to the lake right?

lmao. Been five years with mine... I've never been on the side of the road with issues. To each their own, I fail to see why you're so uppity about it.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 11:16 AM
lmao. Been five years with mine... I've never been on the side of the road with issues. To each their own, I fail to see why you're so uppity about it.

Sounds like you are approaching that magical five year replacement time for trouble-free trailering.;)

scott023
08-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Sounds like you are approaching that magical five year replacement time for trouble-free trailering.;)

What do you suggest for replacements Pete?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 11:36 AM
What do you suggest for replacements Pete?

I have been selling the Gladiator QR-25 (http://www.apitire.com/#/tire/gladiator/1942001831) for years and have never had a warranty replacement claim. Hard to argue with that.

Other trailer tires that I have experience with (and also sell) are Kenda Loadstar, Akuret HF-188 and Durun STC1.

I have the Akuret HF-188 tires on my tandem trailer now.

mtajpa
08-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I will be looking into something like this next? Had 8 ply LTs on an old trailer and lasted for a long time never had a tire issue. They were a bias ply though.

Is this something you can get Pete?

ratings look similar to the ST type trailering

185R14LT 14 in Nanco 8 Ply Load Range D Light Truck Tire

Tire Size: 185R14LT

Load Range: D/8 Ply

Tread Depth (32nd): 11/32

Rim Width: 5.50 in.

Section Width: 7.2 in.

Overall Diameter: 25.7 in.

PSI: 64
Max Load Inflation Pressure Tire: 1,870 lbs. @ 64 psi (SINGLE)
Max Load Inflation Pressure Tire: 1,760 @ 64 psi (DUAL)

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 12:10 PM
I will be looking into something like this next? Had 8 ply LTs on an old trailer and lasted for a long time never had a tire issue. They were a bias ply though.

Is this something you can get Pete?

ratings look similar to the ST type trailering

185R14LT 14 in Nanco 8 Ply Load Range D Light Truck Tire

Tire Size: 185R14LT

Load Range: D/8 Ply

Tread Depth (32nd): 11/32

Rim Width: 5.50 in.

Section Width: 7.2 in.

Overall Diameter: 25.7 in.

PSI: 64
Max Load Inflation Pressure Tire: 1,870 lbs. @ 64 psi (SINGLE)
Max Load Inflation Pressure Tire: 1,760 @ 64 psi (DUAL)

I can do something for you on that. I will PM pricing.

scott023
08-14-2013, 02:55 PM
I have been selling the Gladiator QR-25 (http://www.apitire.com/#/tire/gladiator/1942001831) for years and have never had a warranty replacement claim. Hard to argue with that.

Other trailer tires that I have experience with (and also sell) are Kenda Loadstar, Akuret HF-188 and Durun STC1.

I have the Akuret HF-188 tires on my tandem trailer now.

I'll need options that will fit the low profile trailer option.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 02:57 PM
I'll need options that will fit the low profile trailer option.

I forgot. 255/40R18?

sp00ky
08-14-2013, 03:28 PM

IDK I'm not a tire engineer but it seems like more rubber between the road and rims would be better

scott023
08-14-2013, 09:22 PM
IDK I'm not a tire engineer but it seems like more rubber between the road and rims would be better

Better for what? I'm sure there's a reason many new vehicles, including economy cars, have low profile tires, they can't be all bad...

mcLove
08-15-2013, 01:15 AM
Looking at getting a new boat.
The longest we to is about 30-45 minutes from Parker, AZ, to Lake Havasu, AZ, other wise its a 100 yard drive to the launch ramp by the river house. Would I be fine with LP tire.

2010Prostar197
08-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Yes...they will be fine

The rims and tires are designed to work together.

Haven't heard of any failures short of under inflation or over inflation or hitting something on the road at high speeds. But then what tires including "trailer" tires work well if you don't take of them???

thatsmrmastercraft
08-15-2013, 01:48 AM
Yes...they will be fine

The rims and tires are designed to work together.

Haven't heard of any failures short of under inflation or over inflation or hitting something on the road at high speeds. But then what tires including "trailer" tires work well if you don't take of them???

Absolutely correct.