PDA

View Full Version : Where do you leak?

Boostd_GSXR
08-12-2013, 10:52 AM
It seems like I'm taking on water this year. I'm running the billage more often than normal. In the past years I would run the billage at the end of the day to get out the water that the skiers drug in, this year I am needing to run it about three times through out the day. Are there common areas for Mastercrafts to develop small leaks? Obviously I went through and checked the drain plugs already. Outside of that I haven't looked to deep yet. I plan on getting into it and starting to try and trace out leaks this week or next week. This is on my 06 X-30

gsxrjtt
08-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Id check all Bilge lines for leaks and fat sacks for pin holes

92 190 PS
08-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Most likely coming from the shaft packing if you've checked all of the other common areas. You can tighten slightly if you have never done so, but be sure there is still some dripping (once every 10 seconds or so). Replacing the packing is very simple and if you have not done so in the past it may be time. Good news is if this is your issue, it is a simple inexpensive fix. Good luck.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO3/16X24

Ha..I take back how simple it is, I've always had direct drives. Looks like v-drives are a bit more fun.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53816&highlight=drive+shaft+packing

bjames
08-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I assume the water is not from taking water over the bow or transom. Also check all your water cooling hoses. Make sure the clamps are nice and tight.

craig3972
08-12-2013, 11:18 AM
mine is leaking from the rudder port quite badly

TxsRiverRat
08-12-2013, 11:27 AM
I usually leak while I am waiting for my driver to pull me up, or i find a nice tree

sp00ky
08-12-2013, 11:41 AM
It seems like I'm taking on water this year. I'm running the billage more often than normal. In the past years I would run the billage at the end of the day to get out the water that the skiers drug in, this year I am needing to run it about three times through out the day. Are there common areas for Mastercrafts to develop small leaks? Obviously I went through and checked the drain plugs already. Outside of that I haven't looked to deep yet. I plan on getting into it and starting to try and trace out leaks this week or next week. This is on my 06 X-30

I had to change the raw water pump seal this year which was leaking more than I realized. Since then my bilge has been quite dry. unless I get rained on which has been WAY TOO
often this year bilge pump rarely runs.

dsword
08-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Rudder port is the place I have seen water come in in the newer(2005 and up) boats.

David Sword

Boostd_GSXR
08-12-2013, 01:01 PM
The motor and hoses seem to be dry, I will check closer to be sure. I have not checked the rudder or shaft seals yet. Is there a good way to check those or just put the boat in the water then sit and watch the seals. Only have the three factory installed hard tanks in the boat. Hope one of those didn't crack or spring a leak. I'm guessing they are not fun to remove or replace.

Greenster
08-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Two places that mine has developed leaks is the rub rail. We have started surfing more and due to this I have noticed more water in the boat. The other place is my fault letting off of the throttle a bit too fast and allowing the wave to rush over the back a bit. Not much but it does add up.

timvan
08-12-2013, 02:54 PM
d. unless I get rained on which has been WAY TOO often this year bilge pump rarely runs.

+1

My boat is still drying out from this past Saturday.. What a wake that extra ballast throws!

JRW160
08-12-2013, 03:36 PM
I've noticed quite a bit in my boat this year as well. The dripless packing is not leaking. Under the engine stays dry. All of the water is always pumped out by the front bilge pump. I plan on putting a hose into the bilge on the trailer and seeing if I can figure out where the water is coming from later this week.

Quick
08-12-2013, 09:48 PM
The best way to check is fill the bilge up with a water hose while the boat is on the trailer in your driveway. Obviously with the plug in and then crawl under the trailer and see where the water is leaking out.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-13-2013, 08:21 AM
My 93 is the first boat I've ever owned that doesn't leak a drop... Ever. Two summers and have never turned the bilge pump on yet. Bone dry every time.

snork
08-13-2013, 08:54 AM
I leak standing on the swim platform

engkid_486
09-25-2013, 08:04 AM
I've noticed quite a bit in my boat this year as well. The dripless packing is not leaking. Under the engine stays dry. All of the water is always pumped out by the front bilge pump. I plan on putting a hose into the bilge on the trailer and seeing if I can figure out where the water is coming from later this week.

JRW160,
I have the same boat as you and have (what seems) to be the exact same issue... let me know if you find out where your leak is coming from and I will do the same.

craig3972
09-25-2013, 09:38 AM
mine is leaking from the rudder port quite badly

I put an o-ring between the the top of the steering arm that attaches to the rudder shaft and the rudder port seal to force the grease down into the rudder port. I made sure that the grease encapsulated the circumferance of the rudder shaft in the rudder port. I kept pumping grease into the port until grease was coming out the bottom (water side) of the port. no more leak.

I boat shop owner told me he has seen rudder shafts that have worn out due to lack of grease in the port.

Inventors; there is a product here. jamming grease into a hole to plug a leak is low tech.