PDA

View Full Version : Most popular boat brand on your lake that's not a wakeboat

mplv
08-12-2013, 12:48 AM
Around here the tritons seem to be taking off, what is popular in your area under 150k? I'm especially interested in what any lake of the ozarks or havasu folks have to say.

Thanks

bbymgr
08-12-2013, 01:19 AM
Open bow's or deck boats, I'd say Sea Ray or Chaparral. With pontoon's........Bennington.

Eagle
08-12-2013, 01:30 AM
Lake Washington, I'd say Cobalt or Bayliner.

Specter
08-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Lake Loudoun in Knoxville: Sea Ray, Cobalt and Chaparral.

mikeg205
08-12-2013, 08:59 AM
At my Canadian getaway (Lake of the Woods) - (in-laws Cabin) Lund and Alumacraft... sport boats - Mastercraft and Malibu.

On the Illinois River - Lot's of Maxxums and Four Winns. sport boats - we have them all - seeing more MC now but many G23's, A few Moombas and less Tige's.

coz
08-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm especially interested in what any lake of the ozarks or havasu folks have to say.

Thanks

They're getting bigger and faster on Havasu and down in the Parker area. No one likes wake board boats, they say the wakes are messing up the shoreline and bouncing their boats around while docked :confused: Most of the big go fast boaters don't think their wake is bad, go figure :D

http://cdn-6.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/NewVehicles/2011/NV241043_0.jpg

bigmac
08-12-2013, 10:08 AM
2000 acre residential lake in central Minnesota. By far, the most popular boat is apparently made by a company called "Pontoon". Next most popular, in the fiberglass category, would be Larson or Glastron, both of which are made locally less than an hour from here.

TRLMC
08-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Table Rock, everyone down here who doesn't drive an inboard is usually cruising around in a cobalt for the most part

Upnorth07
08-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Gull Lake, Nisswa, Minnesota: Cobalt and Premier Pontoons. The Premier Pontoons that are 25+ feet are rigged with 250hp - 300hp singles all day long and fast! For the last few seasons, I've seen many Premier's rigged with twin 300hp, half dozen or more of them...it's insane.

One observation I've made over the years when on numerous different lakes is, whatever they sell in town, is what you see on the water. Case in point, Nisswa Marine is a Cobalt and Premier Pontoon dealer (and Nautique). I'm always surprised that most humans will buy from the dealership that is closest to them (car or boat). Which is good, I guess, but man, we live in a huge country and there are a lot of choices out there if you don't mind a few hour drive to see "what the other guy" is selling...at a better price probably!

fskof
08-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Cobalts, Rangers and alumicraft, Sea Rays and Pontoons. Everyone seems to be purchasing a pontoon boat!

mcLove
08-12-2013, 04:13 PM
They're getting bigger and faster on Havasu and down in the Parker area. No one likes wake board boats, they say the wakes are messing up the shoreline and bouncing their boats around while docked :confused: Most of the big go fast boaters don't think their wake is bad, go figure :D

http://cdn-6.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/NewVehicles/2011/NV241043_0.jpg

Ya we take our boat up there all the time. Its all about going fast up there. I see maybe 5-10 true wakeboard boats a trip (not including io's with towers added).

bjames
08-12-2013, 04:38 PM
In Alberta (Wabamum) lots of Sea Rays, Campions, Maxim, bayliners and Four Winns.

TxsRiverRat
08-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Since we have our own site, we have:

18 Mastercrafts

12 Nautiques

6 Malibus

2 Supras

1 Ski Ray

1 Ski Supreme

1 Ski Centurion

1 Sanger

mplv
08-12-2013, 05:14 PM
that's all pretty much everything that's popular out here. I was just wondering if we were missing out on anything good. Lots of tritoon brands in town but I haven't seen anything with twins or anything super high end here yet.

sp00ky
08-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Open bow's or deck boats, I'd say Sea Ray or Chaparral. With pontoon's........Bennington.

Yes I'd say bass boats or pontoons. But plenty of inboards.

CruisinGA
08-12-2013, 09:05 PM
There's a new 300 hp pontoon on our lake.

I have yet to see it doing anything but going full bore down the lake.

Dude looks like a total tool. If you wanted to go fast, why the **** would you buy a pontoon?!

ttu
08-12-2013, 09:33 PM
my local lake, Skiatook, we see w a lot of Tahoe boats due to bass pro shops sells them and after then bottomliners. in the toons I would say benningtons.

SSMoose
08-12-2013, 10:48 PM
On our lake it's about 30% inboard, 30% I/O, 30% pontoon, and10% jet ski. One unannounced day a month should be open season on jet skiers. If the are 3 idiots on the water, 2 will be on jet skis.

BrooksfamX2
08-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Crownline at local lake around here..........

www.crownline.com

bsloop
08-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Popular and trending are two different things - Bayliners, old pontoons and Crownlines are the most popular on our regular reservoirs.
Trending new purchases include 24'+ tritoons with larger HP. 150 minimum but most start 225hp.

LOTO has just about everything, depends on the owner's intended usage.
If you want to run in the weekend slop 26' is about the starting point. Large, 26-32' deep dead rise run-a-bouts are trending as are 25'+ tritoons with larger motors and even twin motors favored.
Cobalt, Sea Ray, Crownline and Four Winns are popular fiberglass.
Hampton/South Bay, Bennington, Manitu, Premiere and Playcraft pontoons.
Center Consoles that have been "socailzed" are a growing market.

The times I have been to Havasu - pontoons; single engine, high hp deck boats and single or twin mid cabins are trending.

Comparing the fiberglass hulls at LOTO and West Coast like Havasu is night and day. LOTO has rough slop that requires a hull to take a pounding and handle big waves. Havasu is light, fast and loud river running with lots of bling and minimal wave concern.

Pontoons are about the same because they all need a pretty stout construction to handle the higher hp motors.

For those with an upturned nose attitude to pontoons; these are not grandpa's small twin log with a 40hp Force.
Modern tritoons carry performance that can rival most recreational fiberglass, haul more people, with more room, lower maintenance and longer season use.
Yeah, don't know why anyone would consider a toon?
http://www.boatingmag.com/boats/sport/fast-toons

toolz
08-15-2013, 02:50 AM
Local lake is full of Rinkers, and a good number of Bajas. The dealer on the lake shoves a Rinker on about everbody that walks in his door, and the rest get a Baja. Not all bad, I guess- if it wasn't for cheap boats, a lot of folks would never get on the water.

mplv
08-15-2013, 10:22 AM
I want a playcraft with twins

lukedeuce
08-15-2013, 10:26 AM
I spend most of my time on the river, so we have a lot of jet boats and pontoons. No real dedication to one brand or the other, but there are several tritoons that will line up against a jet boat.

As for inboards, we have a couple mc's a few nautiques and a lot more malibus. Closest mc dealer is 2 hrs away, nautique is 45 min away, and the dealer 20 min away just started with Moomba and supra this summer.

GT500 MC
08-15-2013, 01:11 PM
It's not the most popular by any means but our neighbor at the lake just launched his new ChrisCraft 22' Launch. Neat rig. Teak floor and trim, well-appointed interior, and you can't even hear it on the lake, even with the v8.

bsloop
08-16-2013, 10:13 AM
I want a playcraft with twins

That would be my choice if I had 150k disposable. 27' Twin 300's would probably still be less than 100k.
Guarantee it would out perform a 27' open bow in every way for 80k less. I don't think you can get into a new 26-28' fiberglass for $150k?

300's are the way to go, the 350 is supercharged requiring 91 and a more intensive maintenance schedule. Not to mention significant up front cost.

mplv
08-17-2013, 01:19 AM
The dealer here sold his demo for 69k