PDA

View Full Version : 92 Prostar 205 teak platform

shoe
08-11-2013, 07:43 PM
The bracket on the teak swim platform broke. After a quick inspection, I noticed that the screw holes for most of the screws are stripped. Any ideas on finding a bracket or simply replacing the entire platform? A bracket would get me through this season, but maybe a new platform for Christmas! The teak is OK, but it is 21 seasons old.

JDC
08-11-2013, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't replace the platform. Replace the bracket (or both) and run in the next size larger screws. Clean up the teak, re-oil, it and it'll look like like new.
Someone else may know where to get the bracket but I would start at my dealer. Makes it easy for me.

... and welcome to TeamTalk. :)

thatsmrmastercraft
08-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Not sure on the availability of original brackets, but removable brackets are available. Someone should have info here soon enough.

GoinBoatin
08-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Instead of using larger screws they make a wood filler that sets up hard and bonds great. Fill the existing holes after you pull the bracket off and re screw the new bracket in.

JDC
08-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Instead of using larger screws they make a wood filler that sets up hard and bonds great. Fill the existing holes after you pull the bracket off and re screw the new bracket in.I would respectfully disagree. Although shoe can give it a try, I would be prepared for the original screw size in the repaired holes to loosen or pull out, again. There are a lot of good products on the market, but there is nothing like real wood for the screw to bite into.

Good luck with whatever you try.

MCVOLS
08-11-2013, 10:15 PM
I think you will have to get lucky to find an original replacement. Had the same issue on my 93. May be better to look at the new ones that fold down, especially if you garage it. I think OJ does them?

etduc
08-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't take much, to fix that bracket. Any welder could do it. OJ no longer, has the collapsible brackets. Teakworld for new platform. However, yours is probably fixable.

shoe
08-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Stopped at the dealer today and he had a replacement (including the transom mount) for $150. So, plan B. I unscrewed the remaining bracket and noticed that the teak wood is rotted. I'm trying to find some 3/4" teak wood so that I can remove the bad wood and reinforce the underneath of the platform with some fresh wood. Meanwhile, I am having fun getting into the boat without a platform.

As for the welding, the bracket is cast so I'm not sure how to weld this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

east tx skier
08-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Instead of using larger screws they make a wood filler that sets up hard and bonds great. Fill the existing holes after you pull the bracket off and re screw the new bracket in.

I would respectfully disagree. Although shoe can give it a try, I would be prepared for the original screw size in the repaired holes to loosen or pull out, again. There are a lot of good products on the market, but there is nothing like real wood for the screw to bite into.

Good luck with whatever you try.

This is actually a pretty easy fix as far as the screw holes goes. It held up fine while I owned the boat, and, as far as I know, it is still holding up today with the boat's new owner.

You will need some teak plugs, some mineral spirits, some q-tips, some epoxy, a drill, a mallet, and some sand paper.

1. Get some teak plugs that are large enough to fill a hole slightly larger than what exists. I found them on ebay, but google is your friend.

2. Drill out the stripped holes a bit. The teak plugs should almost fit in the holes, but not completely flush.

3. Remove the excess wood from the holes.

4. Fill the holes with mineral spirits. Give it time to dry out the oily teak wood. Use q-tips to get the excess out.

5. Put epoxy in the hole and coat the bonding surface of the plug with it. Then, pound it into the hole with a rubber mallet as close to flush as you can. Remove the excess epoxy on top of the platform. Repeat for each hole.

6. Once the epoxy has cured, use a sander to sand down the plug completely flush.

7. Oil the area with teak oil.

8. Put your bracket on the boat.

9. Set the platform on the boat using the good bracket as a guide. Make sure the distance to transom is uniform all the way across.

10. Mark the bolt pattern on the platform using a sharpie.

11. Remove platform and drill some pilot holes. These may not line up with your plugs. That's okay.

12. Screw the bracket onto the platform.

13. Reinstall platform on boat.

14. Enjoy.

shoe
09-02-2013, 06:53 PM
I ended up using some wood filler as a quick repair - I have about 4 weeks left in the season. However, I'm going with the 14 step process above this winter.

Meantime, I got a little crazy on ebay and ended up getting 100 teak plugs, 1/2". So, if anyone needs some plugs, send me your address and I will mail a few to you.

mikeg205
09-02-2013, 07:26 PM
I ended up using some wood filler as a quick repair - I have about 4 weeks left in the season. However, I'm going with the 14 step process above this winter.

Meantime, I got a little crazy on ebay and ended up getting 100 teak plugs, 1/2". So, if anyone needs some plugs, send me your address and I will mail a few to you.

What did your do about the bracket?