PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Runway Lights

Basketballtitan
08-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Probably a silly question, but I was wondering how the trailer runway lights work. I just bought a new boat and the trailer has the lights on the trailer. They do not work while driving down the road but when I was backing the trailer into the water they came on. Are they activated by a water sensor or maybe depending on the trailer angle. Just wondering thanks

mikeg205
08-11-2013, 03:50 PM
They don't turn on when you put tow vehicle just in reverse? DO you have a 7 pin trailer plug for reverse lights?

h20_skidog
08-11-2013, 04:27 PM
I was told by the dealer that they are turned on by the water.

clrussell
08-11-2013, 04:37 PM
They probably use a float switch like on the bilge pumps. At least that's what I was going to use for mine if I ever got around to doing it

JDC
08-11-2013, 05:28 PM
This system sold by Boatmate uses a water activated switch.

https://www.boatmateparts.com/product_details.php?itmId=70

mikeg205
08-11-2013, 05:37 PM
This system sold by Boatmate uses a water activated switch.

https://www.boatmateparts.com/product_details.php?itmId=70

Utlima switch - kinda cool.. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=106146&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=product_ad&type=pla

new boats have these - as to not pump if bilge fills with oil

JDC
08-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Yep, that's the one. The Ultima.

It really is nice.
-No moving parts
-Totally sealed solid state electronics and field detectors
-No mercury
-No exposed sensors eliminate corrosion possibilities

I know I don't need it, but I may have to install that runway light kit on my trailer this winter. ;)

Basketballtitan
08-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Great thanks for your help

Basketballtitan
08-11-2013, 08:55 PM
My new mastercraft has a boatmate trailer and the runway lights are pretty cool feature.

JDC
08-11-2013, 09:08 PM
My new mastercraft has a boatmate trailer and the runway lights are pretty cool feature.Maybe some day you could snap a photo of the trailer runway lights so I could get an idea of where to locate mine when I get to it.

A night shot in the water would be a bonus, but I'm just looking for an idea of how far forward and how far back the lights are on the trailer.

jsturvey
08-12-2013, 05:59 PM
That's funny, I just discovered those Runway lights yesterday and was wondering about them, and if you could install them aftermarket. That price seems a bit steep, though. You could get all those lights off ebay, and purchase a couple of spools of wire plus electrical connectors and the local auto parts store and spend only half the money. The only missing link is the switch. I wonder if they will sell it as a stand alone part?

MattsCraft
08-12-2013, 06:15 PM
That's funny, I just discovered those Runway lights yesterday and was wondering about them, and if you could install them aftermarket. That price seems a bit steep, though. You could get all those lights off ebay, and purchase a couple of spools of wire plus electrical connectors and the local auto parts store and spend only half the money. The only missing link is the switch. I wonder if they will sell it as a stand alone part?

You want to drill all the holes and fish the wires, no thanks.:D

I have them, nice but not really all that useful, I probably load at night like 3 times a year.:rolleyes:

jsturvey
08-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Never said it would be easy. Drilling those holes would definitely be a pain, plus next to impossible to do while the boat is on the trailer. Fishing the wires through would be a piece of cake; already had to re-wire my entire trailer recently, so already have a speedy process that works there.

JDC
08-12-2013, 07:31 PM
That's funny, I just discovered those Runway lights yesterday and was wondering about them, and if you could install them aftermarket. That price seems a bit steep, though. You could get all those lights off ebay, and purchase a couple of spools of wire plus electrical connectors and the local auto parts store and spend only half the money. The only missing link is the switch. I wonder if they will sell it as a stand alone part?The price of the switch using the link above from Mike is $47. I added up about $30 or so in LEDs that would be bright enough to compare to the ones in the kit. At those prices alone, and still needing grommets, wire, connectors etc., I would just get the kit and be done with it, but that's just me. :cool:

thatsmrmastercraft
08-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Just a thought, but all those holes would certainly be a potential source for rust in the future.

JDC
08-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Just a thought, but all those holes would certainly be a potential source for rust in the future.That crossed my mind, and was thinking... drilling the holes for these lights (they need to be 3/4") would probably give me a look inside my frame I don't want to see anyway. :(
I've seen photos on here of frames that are rusted through. It seems that by the time you know the rust is there, your frame is weakened and it needs serious repair... or replaced.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-12-2013, 08:21 PM
That crossed my mind, and was thinking... drilling the holes for these lights (they need to be 3/4") would probably give me a look inside my frame I don't want to see anyway. :(
I've seen photos on here of frames that are rusted through. It seems that by the time you know the rust is there, your frame is weakened and it needs serious repair... or replaced.

I do like the idea of the runway lights. My trailer is a VM tandem. It is constructed with a C channel. I was thinking to epoxy the lights on top of the channel, but haven't walked out to look at the trailer to see if this would be feasible.