PDA

View Full Version : Hit rock. Help switching prop?

Henry
08-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Hey Guys,

Damaged prop last night. It's chewed up a bit all the way around. I was moving along minimum speed when hit so I hope shaft strut Ok. No noticeable vibration on way home.

I have spare prop pictured. My question on a little guidance to switching it out.
I have never done it but is it as easy as it looks or is there more to it.

Does rudder have to come off?

Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

JohnE
08-11-2013, 09:41 AM
You need a prop puller. And it will probably not just pop right off. Most likely you will need to heat the prop while applying the pull from the prop puller. Keep the prop nut on by a thread because when the prop goes it will likely pop. You do not need to remove the rudder? Search the forum. Lots of threads on it

mikeg205
08-11-2013, 10:02 AM
^^^+1 - sorry to read... this always a PITA

JohnnyB
08-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Always put silicon plumbers grease on the shaft before putting the prop on.....always comes off easy

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

93Prostar190
08-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Rudder does not need to come off .... use a stainless cotter pin, (new one) .... sometimes a little patience and a wood block and rubber mallet tapping the prop will help get it off (I used to do that with the old keyed shafts, never done it with a splined) ..

If you are close to Central OH, you can borrow my puller!

x2 on the grease .... it is the right thing to do.

Henry
08-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Got OJ puller, new nut and pin from Skidim
Like 80 for everything.

Hope to be back in water soon.

Thanks

mikeg205
08-11-2013, 10:54 AM
X3 on the bit a grease.... If you want to do it right away a the open end of a box wrench and careful tapping with hammer can get the prop to budge. Again just loosen the nut...

Always good to have a prop puller in the toolbox.. I don't recommend the harmonic removal tool...just something wrong with wacking at the drive shaft.

mikeg205
08-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Like 80 for everything.

Thanks

Awesome - that's the kit I got. check the pin size... I had to cut mine down and 1/8 inch to make it the same size as the original

jgraham37128
08-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Like 80 for everything.

Thanks

If you have a newer boat that has the splinned prop, you will not need a puller.

I did mine which is a 2010 X2. On a scale of 1-10 I rate it as a 1 on complexity. Maybe took 5 minutes from start to finish.

1. pull cotter pin out
2. Loosen nut on the shaft but do NOT remove it.
3. Grab prop with both hands on two ears and work it loose. (mine came right off)
4. Finish removing the nut and have someone turn the boat wheel all the way to the left and prop will slide right off with a little maneuvering. If it doesn't probably have a bent shaft. If it does you are probably ok.
5. Send prop back to OJ, they will repair it and polish it back like new. They repair them same day as received. I sent mine in on Monday and had it back at my house on Thursday. I was very happy with their service and price was great too.

You can get stainless steel cotter pin from Lowe's for a couple of bucks.
Installing

pmikler
08-11-2013, 01:09 PM
If you have a newer boat that has the splinned prop, you will not need a puller.

I did mine which is a 2010 X2. On a scale of 1-10 I rate it as a 1 on complexity. Maybe took 5 minutes from start to finish.

1. pull cotter pin out
2. Loosen nut on the shaft but do NOT remove it.
3. Grab prop with both hands on two ears and work it loose. (mine came right off)
4. Finish removing the nut and have someone turn the boat wheel all the way to the left and prop will slide right off with a little maneuvering. If it doesn't probably have a bent shaft. If it does you are probably ok.
5. Send prop back to OJ, they will repair it and polish it back like new. They repair them same day as received. I sent mine in on Monday and had it back at my house on Thursday. I was very happy with their service and price was great too.

You can get stainless steel cotter pin from Lowe's for a couple of bucks.
Installing

+1

Mine came right off. 2 taps with a rubber mallet. Of course we 2 might have just gotten lucky. In any event its worth a shot before buying puller. Also the torque on the nut is 50lbs as I recall.

JohnE
08-11-2013, 05:25 PM
I needed the puller onmy 09 with splined shaft. 3 months old. It wouldn't budge even with tapping it with a hammer and 2x4 block

esu
08-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Add an 6"-8" piece of 2x4 to wedge between the prop and the hull to stop the shaft from turning while loosening the prop nut.

I also used the wood to loosen the prop, 2 soft taps.

BrooksfamX2
08-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Rudder does not need to come off .... use a stainless cotter pin, (new one) .... sometimes a little patience and a wood block and rubber mallet tapping the prop will help get it off (I used to do that with the old keyed shafts, never done it with a splined) ..

x2 on the grease .... it is the right thing to do.

Mine (splined) came off this way, pretty easily, but that's not always the case......:o