PDA

View Full Version : carfax

occva
08-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Anyone have the ability to run a carfax?

ProStar190Fan
08-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Yes, pm me the vin and an email and I will send over a pdf.

JBrew
11-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Yes, pm me the vin and an email and I will send over a pdf.

Can you look up another? Or anyone?

ProStar190Fan
11-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Sorry, I don't have a subscription anymore. Someone for sure will be along though.

Aric'sX15
11-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Carfax is useless these days

TayMC197
11-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Agreed carfax is worthless.. Take it to a mechanic who knows what he's doing if your aren't capable of diagnosing the car. That's the best way.

h2oskifreak
11-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Why is carfax worthless. Wouldn't it tell you of accidents, major service or flood damage?

TayMC197
11-19-2013, 06:00 PM
No all accidents are reported, then not all damages are accurately reported. So when you get a car fax, you are most likely getting only part of its history, and what you are getting isn't always accurate. Carfax even states that.

Like me for example, I've never claimed my fender benders, off roading, or engine problems. I just fixed everything myself and moved on. Plus I'd be more concerned about the mechanics of a car and not the cosmetics. Car fax doesn't really cover that if at all.

TayMC197
11-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Lots of used car lots bank on showing car fax to people. Reason is cause they lack a lot of the information you are really wanting to know. Makes you feel better about buying a POS.

scott023
11-19-2013, 06:38 PM
No all accidents are reported, then not all damages are accurately reported. So when you get a car fax, you are most likely getting only part of its history, and what you are getting isn't always accurate. Carfax even states that.

Like me for example, I've never claimed my fender benders, off roading, or engine problems. I just fixed everything myself and moved on. Plus I'd be more concerned about the mechanics of a car and not the cosmetics. Car fax doesn't really cover that if at all.

This makes a lot of sense. I think too many people put too much heed into Carfax. There are much better ways of finding out what potential issues a vehicle has.

TayMC197
11-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Why is carfax worthless. Wouldn't it tell you of accidents, major service or flood damage?

Oh the flood damage part, it will tell you if it was registered in a county were a flood occured. Doesn't state that it received damage from a flood, just that it was registered there. Now if a claim was filed for flood damage, then its possible that might make it to the car fax. Not always the case though.

drschemel
11-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Still, you might pick up some red flags on a carfax - like multiple previous owners, big gaps in mileage (like going a whole year without running up more than a few miles) or registrations in areas where there were known floods/hurricaines, etc. I totally agree that it doesn't tell you everything. Most dealers will print one for you. If you are buying from a private seller that has owned the car less than a year or two, it might be a good idea to buy a limited subscription and check it out - it doesn't cost much. There are other servies available that will give you a VIN history cheaper also.

waterbug
11-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Send me youe info and I can run it for you...

I do agree that a Carfax is not as reliable as people think, but it can contain some useful info.

JBrew
11-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Send me youe info and I can run it for you...

I do agree that a Carfax is not as reliable as people think, but it can contain some useful info.

Wow... didn't think I would start a debate about carfox... I mean carfax.

Waterbug - I appreciate the kind gesture, but I passed on the truck.