PDA

View Full Version : Tower cam mount repair

kgrove
08-10-2013, 02:28 PM
I have the tower cam on my 2011 (Trak Vision?) and the mount is broken. The white plastic piece on the rope mount is broken such that the camera doesn't track the rope to one side (you can see where a piece of plastic is broken off in the attached photo). A couple questions:

First - any idea how to take off the whole rope mount / tower cam fixture? I assume its the two large allen bolts on the front. There are no other screws or bolts anywhere on the tower pylon. I haven't tried yet because the allen bolts are much larger than anything I have in my tool box... trip to the hardware store in order.

Second - any idea where to get this part or even what it is called? I assume it is not the same as the piece on a normal tower pylon since it has a cutout for the rope guide which rotates the camera.

Third - absent the new part, any ideas to fix this outside of duct tape? Unfortunately I don't have the plastic piece that broke off or I would superglue it back in place.

jmorone
08-10-2013, 04:49 PM
If you can get the piece off, ship it to me and I will machine you a new one.

kgrove
08-10-2013, 05:11 PM
If you can get the piece off, ship it to me and I will machine you a new one.

That's a very generous offer, but its the white plastic piece that is broken... Unless you were referring to machining a piece of plastic or replacing the plastic with metal?

jmorone
08-11-2013, 01:07 AM
I can machine a new piece out of plastic or 6061-T6 aluminum.

jmorone
08-11-2013, 01:19 AM
As long as there are no crazy compound curves that are hidden, it should be fairly straight forward to make a new part to replace the broken plastic part. PM me if you want my address.

bjames
08-12-2013, 01:21 PM
To remove the tower pylon/camer mount requires a special tool (from MC) and the assembly consists of a lot of parts. My service guy showed it to me becuase I was considering removing my tower pylon in order to get the boat to fit in my garage. The service guy said that they can remove it, but makes them nervous at the same time. Even with the special tool, you have to be extreamly carefull not to damage the assembly.

Personally I would get your local MC dealer to fix it.